• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Constructive Criticism Thread

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@in stitches what that fit needs is some disruption/interruption to break the matchiness of grey and brown. You can do like @jrd617 suggested by changing the tie and IMO dark green based tie will be excellent followed by dark navy based tie. Alternative is to leave everything as is and insert a pocket square in the aforementioned colors but that's going into the sprezzy territory.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I ended up doing was getting rid of the shoes, and the pants are relegated to beatyer wear. Not entirely because of this fit, but because the pants don't fit me well, and I wasn't getting enough use out of the shoes to justify having them sit around my closet.

I am honestly not looking to re-create anything about that ever again, it was just a poorly put together ensemble, and I don't think that it is salvageable in anyway. Perhaps it could be made passablewith a few adjustments. But outside of swapping most of the elements, which is essentially creating an entirely different fit, I don't think it will ever be good.

It was a learning experience. Part of my journey and my trial and error.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Soliciting your thoughts on this fit from a cold, windy morning (hence the gloves--I'm not headed out to dispose of a body).

My thoughts:

--Square and tie look a bit matchy, though the square's dominant color is actually blue.
--Trousers still could fit better in my "problem place": the three-four inches below the knee. FYI, Clags, these are the trousers that used to have almost a reverse taper, so that they looked "boot cut."
--I like the shoulders on this jacket (completely unstructured), but wish the buttoning point were just a bit higher or that the lapels were closer together.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, unbel, I guess my problem is less the buttoning point and more the way that the lapel rolls to it. The lapel line seems less elegant than it could be.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, Id move on from the trousers, and I dont love the SC either, not in general, and not on you. Shirt is fine, so is PS and tie, but as you noted, they are too matchy, even for me.

Last edited:

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The bellying, which as you note seems out of proportion to the lapels. I suppose that lapel roll is tougher to control in an unstructured jacket.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's completely unstructured--when I pinch the lapel, all I feel are the front and back facings, no interlining.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, Id move on from the trousers, and I dont love the SC either, not in general, and not on you. Shirt is fine, so is PS and tie, but as you noted, they are too matchy, even for me.

Thanks for confirming my impressions, Stitchy. I think I have the wardrobe to move on from the trousers, but will probably have to keep this SC in rotation for a bit until I can scrounge up the funds for something a bit better.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any time.

Proper brown SC is a mini problem area for me too, I dont love the quarters on the one I have. That will probably be my next Panta adventure. Maybe for next Fall.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any time.

Proper brown SC is a mini problem area for me too, I dont love the quarters on the one I have. That will probably be my next Panta adventure. Maybe for next Fall.

Curiosity question: how do you feel about donegal tweed in general?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads