• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cologne Reccomendation Thread

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I posted this somewhere around here before, but i am getting mad compliments on my latest deodorant. Better reaction than on any fragrance I think Ive ever worn.

The BavX stick deodorant has me smelling myself on quiet nights at home lately.

Really nice.

Otherwise, Issey Miyake and Le Male by Gaultier

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
I posted this somewhere around here before, but i am getting mad compliments on my latest deodorant. Better reaction than on any fragrance I think Ive ever worn.

The BavX stick deodorant has me smelling myself on quiet nights at home lately.

Quite a confessional. We admire your candor!

aspriel

Reaction score
I own and like:
Lacoste Essential
Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte

I have smelled and like quite a bit:
Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme (!!)
Armani Code

mayonaise

Reaction score
Okay, I'm a girl and I will tell you my personal favourite on men.It's Michael by Michael Kors. This fragrance smells so good! when I smelled it for the first time I inhaled it from the neck of a man I have known for a while and I never really liked him much, all forgotten. It's sweet and spicy and light but deep. It's great.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
My favorites are:

Diptyque - Tam Dao
Floris - Sandalwood
Hugh Parsons - Hugh Parsons
Bond No. 9 - Wall Street
T&H - 1805
Creed - Millesime Imperiale

Fizzmix

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I are quite enjoying my Black by Bulgari.

It smells like rubber and vanilla, among other things. It sounds weird, but it's incredible. Very unique.

nioh

Reaction score
I stopped using colognes a year or so ago. The scent a good soap or deodorant gives off is more than enough.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of people like Creed Green Irish Tweed. You may wish to get a sample of it.
The same fragnance does smell different on different people so I recommend getting a sample first , especially considering some of these fragnances are rather expensive. If you are interested in discovering more about the world of fragnances I would second Joel's suggestion of checking out Basenotes.net.

Right now I am using a lot of wild fragnances:

Serge Lutens -- Fumerie Turque
Serge Lutens -- Chergui
Serge Lutens -- Cuir Mauresque
Serge Lutens -- Ambre Sultan
Frederic Malle -- Musc Ravageur
Montale -- Roayl Oud

I also use:

L'Artisan Parfumer - L'Eau de Navigateur
L'Artisan Parfumer - Tea for Two
L'Artisan Parfumer - Fou d'Absinthe
Lubin -- Idole
Creed -- Vintage Tabarome
Creed -- Cuir Russie
Creed -- Royal English Leather
Creed -- Bois Du Portugal
Creed -- Royal Scottish Lavender
Creed -- Green Irish Tweed

Probably forgetting a few.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
creed himalyan

zatarregaza

Reaction score
Most guys it seems overlook L'Occitane for guy things.

I picked up some Green Tea with Mint eau de toilette from there and love the stuff! It just works really well with my body chemistry. It is a little light but I've found it works on me all year round.

DeSica

Reaction score
The first thing to consider is body chemistry. Various fragrances will react differently with your own body and affect the scent.

Apply a small sample of whatever cologne you are consdiering on the inside of your wrist and wait a few moments. Give it a smell, and get a second opinion, if possible (as long as it isn't some over-achieving sales clerk). If you like the scent, then you might want to go ahead and purchase the cologne.

I believe I read somewhere that the chemicals in colognes start to break down (or something like that) after six months or so, and that this can change the scent, so you might want to limit yourself to 2 or 3 fragrances that you use in some rotation. I have some Intuition by Estee Lauder that was purchased back in mid 2005, and the scent has become very weak over time.

As for my two scents (pun intended), I like Burberry Brit for Men as a daytime fragrance, and Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme for the night.

The first is light and fresh with hints of citrus, while the second is heavier and has more of a musk.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something that is new to me: "Spanish Leather" by Truefitt and Hill. A subtle, but soothing scent.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Hermes Eau D'Orange Verte
Citrusy and herbal. Very masculine.

Agree with texas_jack; this is the only cologne I've ever bought three times Right now, however, and the for past year I've been into several of the Bond fragrances, including Riverside Drive, Bond New York, Wall Street and Little Italy. All great fragrances.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads