• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The best concerts you've seen...

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
I forgot the capes! The best moment for me was Long Distance Runaround>>The Fish.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Note the stylish capes on Chris Squier (on right) and Rick Wakeman (at keyboards). I wonder what "the rules" are for wearing capes? Is a cape strictly for nighttime, or can it be day wear as well?
yes.JPG

Joseph K. Bank

Reaction score
While I don't feel that I the proper appreciation of live music and have been to few concerts I have a very fond memory of seeing the Ohio Players in 1987 or 1988 with my uncle despite not understanding the type of music being performed.

joneblaze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Droog
some old ones including:
Doors
Stevie Wonder (Martha and the Vandellas as backup)
Jefferson Airplane x2
Moody Blues
Simon & Garfunkel
Led Zeppelin
Stones ('72 tour)
Sly Stone
Hendrix
Who
Joe Cocker
Mothers of Invention
Joplin x 2
Dylan + Band
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Ozzie
AC/DC (last tour; favorite)
Boston
Santana

Jesus dude, are you serious? Unreal... Very cool.

For me -

Metallica, Sydney '98
Pearl Jam, Sydney '98
Deftones @ the Iron Duke, Sydney '99
Usher, Sydney '04
Elton John, Sydney '06
Boyz II Men, Sydney '05/'06

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlmusic
Note the stylish capes on Chris Squier (on right) and Rick Wakeman (at keyboards). I wonder what "the rules" are for wearing capes? Is a cape strictly for nighttime, or can it be day wear as well?
yes.JPG

I had this poster on my wall!! The only downside to this line up was Alan White. Not that he wasn't great, but Bill Bruford ruled supreme.

Personally, I wear my cape to my son's T-Ball games.

centalones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
Originally Posted by centalones
The best show I've seen was the Canada Wet event in Tokyo in May 2005.
It was at a medium sized club, and the line-up was:
Metric
Stars
The Dears
Death From Above 1979
Broken Social Scene

This is an amazing lineup. This was all one show?

This was all one show. I think the ticket price was about US$40 too. It was really cool to see the guest singers like Emily Haines and Amy Millan singing for BSS rather than them using some sub like Lisa Lopsinger.

I'm pretty sure I got to hear some BSS stuff that hadn't been released at the time. I had listened to You Forgot It In People almost everyday for about a year up to that show, and they played things that I didn't recognize. I'm not sure if it was stuff that ended up on their self-titled album though.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The single best show I've been to was back in 1995 at a tiny club out near the Navy Yard metro station in Washington D.C -- pretty damn dodgy in 1995! It probably only held about 200 people max and the line-up was: Spearhead, Souls of Mischief, Pharcyde, and The Roots. My lid is still blown, 13 years later.

Droog

Reaction score

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't go to many concerts but two that stick out.

1. Gypsy Kings at Wolftrap (in NoVa)

2. UB40 at 9:30 club last year. My wife is a huge fan of theirs and we got tickets to their DC showing. For those that don't know, 9:30 seats about 1-2k and we stood about 2 rows from the stage the whole time. It was pretty cool. What was amazing to me was the demographics of the audience. Everything from late teens/early 20s to 40s. Real fun crowd, too.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
I had this poster on my wall!! The only downside to this line up was Alan White. Not that he wasn't great, but Bill Bruford ruled supreme.

Personally, I wear my cape to my son's T-Ball games.

Bruford is my favorite rock drummer! I've seen him with Patrick Moraz and King Crimson a few times. He looks so relaxed--like a proper Englishman. His technique is superlative and he breathes fire on the drums. I saw him play with Yes some time in the '90's. It was a very unusual reunion tour that included most of the past members of the group. They took turns playing songs, with Bruford and Alan White both on drums. It was a good concert, but nothing compared to the 1970's Yes energy.

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a few that come to mind:

Preservation Hall Jazz Band of New Orleans
Newport Jazz Festival
De La Soul
The Roots
Shakira
my friends' bands/performances

and finally, Bruce Springsteen solo...awesome

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drunken David Bowie performing for 1200 people at Avalon , Boston .

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Peelander-Z!!!!

They hand out pots and pans at the show for the audience to bang along. They hold up signs with the words for their meaningless songs so the audience can shout along to chants like "MAD TIGER" and "STEAK - MEDIUM RARE!"

They wear colored spandex costumes when they plan and they started both a limbo contest and a conga line during the set. 1/2 way through the set part the crowd in half to form a bowling lane. They put on giant bowling pin costumes and let someone from the crowd get on a kid's tricycle and plow into them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads