• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My merlot Eagle Counties...the contrast edge is what I believe make it pop. Also, note the top speedhook - I would have changed this to an eyelet:
TJ, would you be kind enough to compared your Eagle make up with the proposed merlot make up? In other words, point out how they differ.

Thanks.

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing my MTO Walden in natural CXL today. Happy Labor Day weekend everyone!
arudy3eb.jpg

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Gents, I'll leave the minor changes to in-group discussions within those people who have committed to order that particular make-up they want to change.

Well, I'll just throw it out there, then: would anyone who voted for the Navy or Merlot calf be amenable to ditching the speedhooks? (For my part, I'll go either way with the welt options).

tjyoung

Reaction score
Well, I'll just throw it out there, then: would anyone who voted for the Navy or Merlot calf be amenable to ditching the speedhooks? (For my part, I'll go either way with the welt options).

Yes. The eyelets/speedhooks won't be a deal-breaker for me either way, but I do think it will be easier to lace this boot if they were all eyelets.

tjyoung

Reaction score
Quote:
Differences highlighted in bold (EDIT...changed the column names):

Item tjyoung GMTO GMTO tjyoung
Model Eagle County Eagle County
Upper Merlot calf w/ tone-on-tone stitching Merlot calf w/ tone-on-tone stitching
Welt Chili flat welt Black flat welt
Sole Black Dainite w/ leather midsole Double butyl outsole
Edge Dressing Medium brown edge dressing Dark brown transparent edge dressing
Eyelets Brass eyelets and speedhooks, 3 top speedhooks Black eyelets and speedhooks, 3 top speedhooks
Insole & Lining Leather insole & lining Independence leather insole & lining

Last edited:

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My navy EC has all blind eyelets. While it looks great that way IMHO I do miss the speedhooks which I have on my merlot and saddle ECs. The high shaft makes it a pain in the backside to wear without the speedhooks.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Differences highlighted in bold:

Item tjyoung GMTO
Upper Merlot calf w/ tone-on-tone stitching Merlot calf w/ tone-on-tone stitching
Eyelets Brass eyelets and speedhooks, 3 top speedhooks Black eyelets and speedhooks, 3 top speedhooks
Insole & Lining Leather insole & lining Independence leather insole & lining

The welt and eyelets already look black to me on the original boot.

Edit: sorry I think I am reading it backwards

Last edited:

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the captions reversed? I thought chili welt was part of the GMTO (Make up 5)

I love TJ's make-up. I'm just trying to imagine how the GMTO would differ.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am getting the Navy and Merlot unless something drastically changes with the makeups...my only wish is that one of those boots stays with the lighter edge dressing and the brass eyelets with or without speedhooks - I would prefer the Merlot to be the flashier. I am flexible either way just do not want to end up with two boots with black eyelets, black welts and super dark edging

sleepyinsanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. The eyelets/speedhooks won't be a deal-breaker for me either way, but I do think it will be easier to lace this boot if they were all eyelets.

All eyelets will make it much more difficult to lace the boot. I don't like speedhooks either but they take so much less time to lace than all-eyelet boots

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the captions reversed? I thought chili welt was part of the GMTO (Make up 5)

Here is the GMTO as it stands now - I must have read Tj's backward also

Make-Up 5
Model Eagle County
Upper: Merlot calf w/ tone-on-tone stitching
Welt: Chili flat welt
Sole: Black Dainite w/ leather midsole
Edge Dressing: Medium brown edge dressing
Eyelets: Brass eyelets and speedhooks, with the 3 top most being speedhooks
Insole & Lining: Leather insole & lining

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Differences highlighted in bold:

Item tjyoung GMTO GMTO tjyoung
Insole & Lining Leather insole & lining Independence leather insole & liningTJ
@tjyoung , I think you got the headings interchanged. I corrected above. We wouldnt want anybody to get confused (haha i did) ;-)

Last edited:

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brass eyelets would look like this on the EC. This is tan waxy saddle EC with brass eyelets and natural welt and tan ink edge dressing. Mini-lug tap sole with leather midsole.

(My MTO design, but these are pics of the seconds which Freedbird got)

Chili flat welt with light brown transparent edge would be like that of the strand. This is an MTO Lexington with the same welt and edge combination in v-tap tread sole with leather midsole. Brass eyelets and brown flat waxy laces too.

(my MTO Lexington in tan heather grain)

It would look slightly different on a Dainite sole with leather midsole as that will have a black stripe run through the middle of the sole like this, though this picture has a natural edge dressing which adds to the contrast.

(cincikid MTO leeds on black CXL with natural welt and edge dressing with dainite sole and leather midsole)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads