• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indyoshi68

Reaction score

If the 11.5E on the 1 last is tight on your pinky, maybe an 11.5EE or even 11EEE would work. The 2 last is longer and narrower than the 1 last.

I wonder what's happening with the heel on the 11.5EE... A little worried about slippage. Gotta change my order. When is the deadline, Watchidiot?

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got to encourage everyone on this GMTO to get to an AE store to try on a 2 last shoe. Having particpated in this thread for several years, I can safely say the number of people able to get a good fit on the 2 last are significantly outnumbered by the people who simply cannot make the 2 last work.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assistance needed... I placed an order for NAVY EC, but am unfamiliar with 2 lasts. I am 11.5 E in 511 last Dalton (tight on pinky) & Long Branch...Where should I be for the EC? 11.5E, 12E or 11.5EE?

I have a narrow heel and wide forefoot, pinky is ALWAYS a problem on otherwise great fitting shoes...

Thanks in advance.

I'm in the same boat, and I'm really waffling on sizing. I actually own a pair of New Orleans, in a 14D, and I'd say they're about a half size too long and yet still tight in the pinky. I think ideally I'd want a 13.5E, but to my knowledge AE doesn't do any 13.5s (unless they do on MTOs?), so I was leaning towards a 14E but I'm really not sure.

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder what's happening with the heel on the 11.5EE... A little worried about slippage. Gotta change my order. When is the deadline, Watchidiot?
On boots, my experience is that heel slippage doesnt exist to the same degree as you would find in shoes because the shaft hugs the back of achilles and ankles, and the lacing goes all the way up to the shaft.

I can change sizes for you now, or you can even change it during invoicing.

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got to encourage everyone on this GMTO to get to an AE store to try on a 2 last shoe. Having particpated in this thread for several years, I can safely say the number of people able to get a good fit on the 2 last are significantly outnumbered by the people who simply cannot make the 2 last work.
I wouldn't be one to discourage fitting of course - its always a good idea and very much supported.

That said, I remember the same sentiment was said when people started to order the $197 Eagle County MTOs. Ill try to find the exact post, but I remember that a sarcastic comment was made that they can't wait to hear all the complaints about the Eagle County once the orders arrived and how disappointed everyone will be because MTOs couldnt be returned. To my knowledge to date, nobody regretted getting the EC MTOs then, and instead folks who hesitated out of fear of the 2 last, regretted not getting their MTOs. I think the 2 lasted boot is more forgiving than 2 lasted shoes as issues like heel slippage isnt that of an issue when sizing up.

I have both 8E and 8.5D EC and both of them work quite well for me, except creasing on the cap toe for the 8E EC.

Of course, if you have an AE store near you then please do make the effort to fit 2 lasted shoes.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This boot is gonna look amazing. I'd buy more than one if I could right now because I know I'll never have another opportunity at this price.

As for a snuff EC: I posted somebody's snuff EC a while back. Looks nice, a lot like the NMWA Alfred Sargent suede boot but cheaper. What's next? I've love a snuff suede Patriot or an austerity brogue'd mcallister in Bob's chili or a mid-brown (that'll be the day!). I only have one wingtip in my collection, the RL Marlow. It's perfect, but maybe I could squeeze one more in.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This boot is gonna look amazing. I'd buy more than one if I could right now because I know I'll never have another opportunity at this price.

As for a snuff EC: I posted somebody's snuff EC a while back. Looks nice, a lot like the NMWA Alfred Sargent suede boot but cheaper. What's next? I've love a snuff suede Patriot or an austerity brogue'd mcallister in Bob's chili or a mid-brown (that'll be the day!). I only have one wingtip in my collection, the RL Marlow. It's perfect, but maybe I could squeeze one more in.
I tried to buy that Alfred Sargent and they did not have my size... :(

Indyoshi68

Reaction score

I wouldn't be one to discourage fitting of course - its always a good idea and very much supported.

That said, I remember the same sentiment was said when people started to order the $197 Eagle County MTOs. Ill try to find the exact post, but I remember that a sarcastic comment was made that they can't wait to hear all the complaints about the Eagle County once the orders arrived and how disappointed everyone will be because MTOs couldnt be returned. To my knowledge to date, nobody regretted getting the EC MTOs then, and instead folks who hesitated out of fear of the 2 last, regretted not getting their MTOs. I think the 2 lasted boot is more forgiving than 2 lasted shoes as issues like heel slippage  isnt that of an issue when sizing up.

I have both 8E and 8.5D EC and both of them work quite well for me, except creasing on the cap toe for the 8E EC.

Of course, if you have an AE store near you then please do make the effort to fit 2 lasted shoes.

I've got two brick and mortar stores within a mile, but the last tine I checked, no 2 lasts in my size. ARGH... Order deadline date/time, Watch?

Indyoshi68

Reaction score

I've got two brick and mortar stores within a mile, but the last tine I checked, no 2 lasts in my size. ARGH... Order deadline date/time, Watch?
Still mad I missed the $197 MTO...I had a SICK Merlot makeup in the hopper with Allison!!! Good call, guys. My burgundy shell Daltons made that redundant now,though...

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe we should start a new thread and have everyone who has EC already post their sizes in other AE shoes...I am going with my Dalton size which is 13 E - I think 12.5 ee would probably be better based on what I have read but not willing to chance a custom job on size. If I had the ability to order then return I would give 12 eee a shot

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

An AE austerity brogue sounds amazing and also hilariously unamerican at the same time. EXCESS ALL THE WAY!

What are you, in boston?
(probably nyc actually, though I have 2 AE stores within a mile from my workplace in beantown as well and I went to both today and yup, no 2 lasts in my size...)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads