• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As someone newer to fine shoes and how they fit, seeing that much v opening leads me to believe that going up a width would be a good idea. Am I wrong in that assessment?
I have Strands in 9.5B with full closure. These are a 10B and the V gap is noticeable. With AE, you just never know.
IMG_6970.jpeg

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Olof69

Reaction score
Those Overloads have been recrafted. Whoever wore those previously must have put some serious miles on them to require a recraft. The double sole on those things should last a long time. Notice how AE doesn't have the original sole, but they do still include the commando heel and the edge dressing is the same.

i have not been to the NR in years, but maybe it is time. I've found quite a few rare AE shoes back in the good old days.
Original outsole on Overlords was remarkably durable, literally on par with JR, it's a shame AE no longer carries it.

RJNavarrete

Reaction score
The fact that you may think that AE sizing means anything. I can buy 4 of the same model in the same size and they will all fit different.
I didn't say anything about sizing, per se. I asked about going wider, my guy!

I think it's reasonable to suggest that going wider will get you a somewhat better "V fit" regardless of AE's other inconsistencies.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@RJNavarrete It's been my experience as well that at least when trying various AE shoes of the same size, the fit varies quite a bit sometimes. Mostly, it's the instep fit that varies the most. I've also had a few pair that are E-width that fit exactly like a D-width. I've never understood how that is, but it happens.

You raise a very important question though that I'll give you my two cents. Going up a width can improve an instep fit, but it does not always work. I'm an 8 D and I once tried on a pair of Wilbert shoes in size 9 EEE. I was shocked when I saw the instep fit was not much different from my 8 D pair. Of course the shoes were too loose and wide in the heel and ball, but the instep was still fairly low. I have a pair of 8 E bourbon Strands that have a wider V than my 8 D olive Strands. That had me scratching my head as well.

TLDR: With AE, you just gotta try them on and see how it fits.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I didn't say anything about sizing, per se. I asked about going wider, my guy!

I think it's reasonable to suggest that going wider will get you a somewhat better "V fit" regardless of AE's other inconsistencies.
The problem with going wider when your foot doesn’t need it is other places get sloppy, even if you fix the gap. Now your heel is slipping more, now there’s some side to side movement at your ball. Now you’ve got blisters.

This same logic could be applied to my feet. I have wide feet. Typically EE/EEE. I get full closure basically always. I even have to add a tongue pad some times. But I assure you I can’t drop down to an E or D to give myself less cone height. It might fix that issue, but now I can feel my heel and ball rolling over the edge of the insole…that ain’t comfortable. Plus, my pinkie is extremely sensitive to pressure, so now my entire leg aches.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maiden voyage of my grey shell Freeports.

View attachment 1955853
Dude, that makeup is awesome! I've always appreciated your willingness to just go for it with materials on SMU items. Love that you went with the blue Dainite. It's like a giant middle finger to everyone who hates Dainite as well as those who abhor "crazy colors" for any portion of footwear. Love it. You do you, brother.

Not sure I want to follow this makeup, but today I'm going sand suede MassDrop chukkas from the good old days when collaborations like this would come out. Probably not the most versatile color in the world, given that I'm mostly in darker colors these days, but every once in a while a pairing makes sense to me. So, for the gray chinos today, it was either these or a sweet pair of oxfords to really make some eyeballs itch. Decided to be a good boy and leave the itching to just allergies at this point of the day.

IMG_6740.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads