• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scotch grain Leeds. Somebody said these were old man shoes. You can see they were mistaken.
B9DF8163-CECB-4FDB-A341-15A86A306BD3.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Am I the only one that doesn't like what they do to the grain on the toe on these? Is there a practical reason why they smooth it out like that?

The Scotch grain is stamped as a pattern into calf. I believe the calf is pulled tight during the lasting process and this pulls the stamped grain back to a nearly smooth character. This is seen in the new C&J bluchers I had at one time. Beautiful shoes, but dang they were uncomfortable so they had to go.

IMG_3900.jpg
IMG_3899.jpg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 2.0 Indy line was a different sole than the originals…they didn’t even have the metal tag under the arch. That said, my Palm Beaches are wearing well in comparison to others with similar wear

Is that after they’re good and broken in, or is most of the wear very early on? If so, flex them at the ball a bunch before wearing them the first time to minimize the toe drag.

I just found of all my leather soles, these were the only ones which never developed any sort of grip at all. I could ice skate on cross walks.

RJNavarrete

Reaction score
The Scotch grain is stamped as a pattern into calf. I believe the calf is pulled tight during the lasting process and this pulls the stamped grain back to a nearly smooth character. This is seen in the new C&J bluchers I had at one time. Beautiful shoes, but dang they were uncomfortable so they had to go.

View attachment 1952409 View attachment 1952415
Ah, I see. Indeed, that is a beautiful pair of shoes! Shame they had to go.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one that doesn't like what they do to the grain on the toe on these? Is there a practical reason why they smooth it out like that?

Probably at this point from friction/rubbing of polish and wear in general.

I don't think it is just the lasting process, though that probably contributes, as my C&J Aldershots and Pembrokes have prominent grain even on their toes, though I "fill it in" with polish.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably at this point from friction/rubbing of polish and wear in general.

I don't think it is just the lasting process, though that probably contributes, as my C&J Aldershots and Pembrokes have prominent grain even on their toes, though I "fill it in" with polish.

Interesting. Both my C&J grain shoes (Islay and Boston) have a very noticeable smoothing of the grain as you get to the toe.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Both my C&J grain shoes (Islay and Boston) have a very noticeable smoothing of the grain as you get to the toe.

Hm, strange, as I just checked, and except in so much as I have polished them heavily, they show grain.

Basically, I've taken any evidence of "smoothing" to be a result that I shine my shoes a lot, and scotch grain "fills in" when polished to a certain extent. It will still show grain, but you're effectively you know, layering a veneer of wax on it to make it shiny.

Last edited:

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing Horween black CXL McTavishes today. On the one hand, they are very comfortable. On the other hand you can't get them really shiny.

IMG_5020.jpeg

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures, two different opinions on what color shoes to wear with red trousers when it isn't white shoe season.

Lord Cardigan wore black shoes with red trousers when he led the charge of the Light Brigade.

I followed Lord Cardigan's example and wore black shoes with red trousers even though I wasn't in Crimea charging at Russian guns. I was going to a Coronation Tea.

Some more about red trousers:

https://www.theguardian.com/.../in-defence-of-red-trousers

IMG_5024.jpeg

Lord Cardigan.

6256.jpg

For fans of food pictures in shoe threads, the Coronation Tea and me in the Tea Room at Ye Olde King's Head in Santa Monica CA.

IMG_5036.jpeg

For fans of random Santa Monica pictures in shoe threads, not many people on the beach today.....

IMG_5019.jpeg

....or walking along Ocean Avenue.

IMG_5021.jpeg

Cause Moe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some knitwear names carry the echoes of the charge of the light brigade. The brigade's commander was Major General Cardigan, the commander of the British Army in Crimea was General Raglan, and the charge was part of the Battle of Balaclava.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members