• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Telling people prices of your shoes

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This reminds me of an episode of Arrested Development where Job inherited his dad's expensive suit collection and made every point to remind the underlings about how expensive his suit is.

"Me? Get my own coffee? Do you think someone in a $5,000 suit gets his own coffee?" I don't remember if this was one of the lines he used but it was to that effect.

Because optometry school is 70% females, I get lots of compliments on my shoes from girls in front of other guys. And because I dress better than them, I get a disproportionate share of clothing compliments. So other guys will come to me and ask me about the cost of something (or a girl will ask), I just say "I don't remember how much I paid because it was in Euros off a European website and the exchange rate always fluctuates." But then I get the "well, what was it about? 200? 300?" I answer with "I don't remember because it was so long ago. I just try to obfuscate and evade as much as I can.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
"Do you think someone in a $5,000 suit gets his own coffee?"
I do.
devil.gif

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I generally try and leave a price tag on so they don't have to ask
devil.gif

HelloIDistance

Reaction score
Always an awkward question. Even if I say I forgot, they ask what brand. I tell them...they go look it up and never look at me the same again
laugh.gif

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When they say, "What..100? 150?" I give a chortle and say, "Are you talking about my shoelaces or my underwear?"

kungapa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HelloIDistance
Always an awkward question. Even if I say I forgot, they ask what brand. I tell them...they go look it up and never look at me the same again
laugh.gif

Or you just say it was custom-made, and then they get confused...

emptym

Reaction score
I usually tell people how much. And I try to explain why I chose to buy the item despite the high cost. Generally that involves some mention of "funding excellence" in craftsmanship, etc. When talking shoes, if you just point out the difference between full grain and corrected grain, people become much more receptive to the idea of buying quality shoes. And I find that in general the resulting conversation leads to a thoughtful discussion about the way people spend their money.

Another thing that helps is comparing the cost of the shoes to a year of coffee, soft drinks, bottled water, and/or alcohol. Most people will admit they they spend way more per year on just one of those items than I've spent on the shoes.

Kslim

Reaction score
I just tell them I got it as a gift but I think they cost around...(give wild ballpark figure).

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
I usually tell people how much. And I try to explain why I chose to buy the item despite the high cost. Generally that involves some mention of "funding excellence" in craftsmanship, etc. When talking shoes, if you just point out the difference between full grain and corrected grain, people become much more receptive to the idea of buying quality shoes. And I find that in general the resulting conversation leads to a thoughtful discussion about the way people spend their money.

Another thing that helps is comparing the cost of the shoes to a year of coffee, soft drinks, bottled water, and/or alcohol. Most people will admit they they spend way more per year on just one of those items than I've spent on the shoes.

I like his one the best.... That's what I choose, bu sometimes I just plain don't like telling people the cost, but u gotta pay for quality!

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out the the prices on Blahniks or Christian Laboutin .. and a co-worker of mine (err female co-worker ).. has 20 - 30 pairs. We small timers.

I usually just quote the right number tho - in Euro

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i cringe when coworkers/friends ask me of the make/model of my shoes. I just tell them to google "alden" or "john lobb" etc. and then I usually end the conversation shortly thereafter
facepalm.gif

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahaha, Okay. So I told a girl who was very interested in where I got my shirts. Dumbest mistake ever. I told her that a man shows up at a hotel, reserves a room. Then I meet him there and look at fabric samples. And three months later, clothes arrive at my door.

And now the entire school knows. When you tell a bunch of people who are accustomed to going to the mall to pick up made in China stuff, they can't believe things like that happen. There's this underground market of goods and services nobody knows about.

They find it shady that it goes on in hotel rooms like it is some kind of sex service.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads