• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

farmville clones have done well I think.
Also words with friends/scramble with friends/and now drawsomething (after buying OMGPOP)

Unfortunately that's the ZNGA model. Wait until someone else makes a hit them buy them. Like they did with WWF and DS.

edit: I should clarify that I don't think GLUU is incapable of producing a hit, its just that the mobile gaming market is so damn finicky.

Last edited:

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ZNGA = 1 hit game
GLUU = 0 hit games.

Already been down this road, multiple times. Rather than hinging the entire company on hoping and praying for 1 hit, they are building up a very impressive IP portfolio. Revs increasing every quarter since 2010 since De Masi took over, with profitability hitting this quarter now that the old feature phone crap has now been phased out.

Only big issue I have right now with them is, where is the marketing and t-shirts, buttons, baseball caps and crap? Glu now owns ******* DEER HUNTER. Market it!

Last edited:

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just to add, one day I think this issue about companies not making money but still being valued highly will come to an end. With these internet companies. FB, ZNGA, P, etc... there's a feeling (I believe) on the street where they feel that somehow these companies will at some point figure out a way to monetize the product. "Hey, company X doesn't make any money." "Don't worry, they'll figure it out." But there is no figuring it out. These companies won't make money....well enough money to justify their valuation.

Too many tech companies run by kids with no experience who hire more kids. Add in lots of VC money, and it's party time. While I think the music will stop inevitably, I think reality would be that as the economy and also the euro zone stabilizes, tech stocks are gonna take off for a while before finally it dies

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Too many tech companies run by kids with no experience who hire more kids. Add in lots of VC money, and it's party time. While I think the music will stop inevitably, I think reality would be that as the economy and also the euro zone stabilizes, tech stocks are gonna take off for a while before finally it dies

This is a big +1000. I saw how big some of these companies are and its shocking. ZNGA 3000 employees?? Really?? Groupon with 12,000 employees.

Insane. Also, this made me laugh a little bit.

Zynga Headquarters (San Francisco). New 270,000 square feet (25,000 m2) headquarters at the site of former Sega offices.
Zynga East (Baltimore) – started in May 2009
Zynga India (Bangalore, India)
Zynga Los Angeles – opened February 2010
Zynga China (formerly XPD Media, based in Beijing) – acquired May 2010
Zynga Austin (formerly Challenge Games) – acquired June 2010
Zynga ATX (formerly MarketZero, Inc.) – acquired April 2011
Zynga Boston (formerly Conduit Labs) – acquired August 2010
Zynga Japan (formerly Unoh Games, based in Tokyo) – acquired August 2010
Zynga Germany (formerly Dextrose AG, based in Frankfurt) – acquired September 2010
Zynga Dallas (formerly Bonfire Studios) – acquired October 2010
Zynga With Friends (formerly Newtoy, Inc., based in McKinney, Texas) – acquired November, 2010
Zynga New York (formerly Area/Code) – acquired January 2011
Zynga Seattle, opened October 2010
Floodgate Entertainment – acquired March 2011
Zynga Toronto (formerly Five Mobile) specialized in mobile platforms, acquired July 2011
OMGPOP (Draw Something creators), acquired March 2012
Wild Needle, a casual games company that makes games which appeal to females, acquired May 2012
Zynga Eugene (formerly Buzz Monkey Software), acquired on June 4, 2012

Just this list of all the gaming companies that were gobbled up and the outside of NewToy I can't think of one that's had a ton of other successes.

guyver00

Reaction score

This is a big +1000. I saw how big some of these companies are and its shocking. ZNGA 3000 employees?? Really?? Groupon with 12,000 employees.
Insane. Also, this made me laugh a little bit.
Zynga Headquarters (San Francisco). New 270,000 square feet (25,000 m2) headquarters at the site of former Sega offices.
Zynga East (Baltimore) – started in May 2009
Zynga India (Bangalore, India)
Zynga Los Angeles – opened February 2010
Zynga China (formerly XPD Media, based in Beijing) – acquired May 2010
Zynga Austin (formerly Challenge Games) – acquired June 2010
Zynga ATX (formerly MarketZero, Inc.) – acquired April 2011
Zynga Boston (formerly Conduit Labs) – acquired August 2010
Zynga Japan (formerly Unoh Games, based in Tokyo) – acquired August 2010
Zynga Germany (formerly Dextrose AG, based in Frankfurt) – acquired September 2010
Zynga Dallas (formerly Bonfire Studios) – acquired October 2010
Zynga With Friends (formerly Newtoy, Inc., based in McKinney, Texas) – acquired November, 2010
Zynga New York (formerly Area/Code) – acquired January 2011
Zynga Seattle, opened October 2010
Floodgate Entertainment – acquired March 2011
Zynga Toronto (formerly Five Mobile) specialized in mobile platforms, acquired July 2011
OMGPOP (Draw Something creators), acquired March 2012
Wild Needle, a casual games company that makes games which appeal to females, acquired May 2012
Zynga Eugene (formerly Buzz Monkey Software), acquired on June 4, 2012
Just this list of all the gaming companies that were gobbled up and the outside of NewToy I can't think of one that's had a ton of other successes.

Geez, I didn't know Zynga has been gobbling up all these game companies, seems to me that they're just into expanding to increase revenue, without actually growing their own core product. I mean are they only going to stop when there aren't any good ideas out there? Then Zynga would stagnate.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Javyn, are you still banned from CE?

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yep
Yeah it's short for the "Style Forum Todd Akin Fan Club".

I saw some threads that are lacking that Jayvn intensity. .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads