1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

I think TSLA still has a long ways to go (down).

2. seeldoger47

seeldoger47 Well-Known Member

It would be unwise to buy either of those ETFs if you plan on using that cash in a year's time.

3. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

If you can risk losing the down payment for a car then go for it....otherwise collect the 0.75% interest or whatever you can get and just park it somewhere. Looks like you can get 1% on a 1-year CD.

4. dohare

dohare Well-Known Member

ahh, why is this? are there fees i'm unaware of? i've only ever invested in common stock. just seemed like the last few years return has been 10%-25% with them, figuerd it'd help.

5. jbarwick

If you can predict there will be a guaranteed return put every cent you have to your name in the stock. The greater the risk the higher the return but it also means you could lose more.

6. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Putting new money to work at this market level is pretty risky. I'd never invest any money period that I'd need within a year. You could always invest in a bond fund or an income fund, but I'd do a year CD.

Or fuck it... put it in a couple of high flyers like PCYC or EPZM and ride the coaster. Depends on your age and capacity to recover the $ if you lost.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  7. seeldoger47

Past returns are not indicative of future performance, aka don't try to drive your car forward using only your rear-view mirror.

8. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

:brick:

Not to be a jerk, but if you you really need to ask "why?" and don't already know the things these folks are telling you, you really shouldn't be investing in common stocks or mutual funds (except with money you can easily afford to lose).
    Those Vanguard funds have generated those returns the last few years because the market has spent the last few years recovery from a sharp drop. If the market continues to rise, they'll probably continue to generate positive returns. Otherwise, not so much. If you're confident that you can predict what the market is going to do over the next year, there are countless investment opportunities that will make you money. If you can't predict the next year with certainty, then money you're earmarking for a particular purpose should be invested as idfnl suggests (Part I, not Part II).

9. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

I agree, LD. If you are asking 'why' you're bound to lose your nerve and then money.

That's why I suggested individual stocks that could potentially create huge gains. I know you don't agree with part 2, but if someone wants to play, it would be stupid to go funds at this level since they move very slowly and can't react to a decline. Its fine to keep chipping in 401k contributions since you'll contribute a portion at a high level but then average down if we see a decline.

All EPZM or PCYC need is some green lights from the FDA to see 50% - 100% gains. In fact, PCYC today was gives some good news from the FDA and jumped.

Alternatively he can sit on the sidelines until a 10%ish correction takes place and jump in. But in with all your eggs at this level is pretty risky. The real issue is the year timeline... its hard to make any real gains in such a short period.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  10. jbarwick

Anyone here work for Snapchat and think their $0 revenue company is not worth $3 Billion? No one cares about your internet legacy of <10 years in most cases....take the money!!!

1 person likes this.
  11. seeldoger47

What's going on with these absurd valuations on companies that make zero dollars?

12. Yeah Sure

Yeah Sure New Member

People are idiots is what's going on.

13. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Well-Known Member

Buy a call and put the rest in a CD.

1 person likes this.
  14. GreenFrog

Pre-market figures are looking verrrrryyyy good for my stocks.

GreenFrog shall be very green today :slayer:

15. jbarwick

What is everyone using to calculate the overall return of your portfolio with gains and additional funding? I was using IRR but trying to keep track of that with two 401(k)'s and two Roth IRA's is getting tricky. I count my fiancee/future wife and my portfolio as one overall portfolio in terms of gains which is why there are four accounts. I can only imagine the complexity once we add in traditional IRA's then taxable accounts but we are a couple years away from IRA's then a few more from taxable so I want to figure it out now.

16. dohare

dohare Well-Known Member

Nah i respect your opinion. and the fund i was referring to has an awesome 10 yr track record, Jame Stelter has done an amazing job, 10% through the worst of times recently. My original question was just related to "is now the time to jump in or is that a crazy thought" - which was answered.

I'm an accountant I can dissect financials and see through the earnings management pretty well, aside from seeing how a singular company will go I like to think I have a good edge, but I just never messed wtih funds, and the 15 yr avg return at 15% or something seemed solid, thats all.

I made $300 in a couple months off CVS/HD last year so i just didnt know if i could get in low enough now to do the same with a fund.

17. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Well, maybe not that one. :)

Welcome to 1997.

18. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Well-Known Member

Calculate a return compounded as often as you put $ in.

For instance, if you contribute once a month, work out your simple monthyl return at the end of each month - i.e. $ gains / (starting balance + cash deposited). For the annualized return, it's just the compound value of those monthly returns.

If you want to be super duper pedantic, you can do it weekly or daily.

19. GreenFrog

What websites do you guys use to get your market news and investing ideas? Bloomberg? MarketWatch? I'll admit I peruse SeekingAlpha from time to time and that the vast majority of articles on that site are a complete joke, but it gives me a good idea of the general public sentiment around particular stocks.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  20. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

No shit, great timing that I mentioned it here. It dropped 40% yesterday. I bought at the bottom mid-day, the news was pretty good on clinical trial date, people overreacted. It should be back in the mid 20s in days.

Very luckily here I only had 40 shares that I had built up thru profit on day trades. I took yesterday's loss on the house's money.