• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taking time off from college.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
join the military - you are not a borderline case, C, you are a serious project that requires a drill sargent to beat you into a man. you will come back to school a little more mature, and you will thank me for the rest of your life for this suggestion.

Yes, joining the military to be sent off to die in Iraq is a brilliant idea.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that the military is bad idea right now.

But what about Bob's questions above? Are you earning straight A's? Are you taking the hard courses? Do you go to talks, lectures, exhibits, performances on campus? Or have you been taking the easy (but boring) path, partying too much, etc?

Do you have clear idea of what you'd like to do with a year off? What do you want to accomplish? Your original note sounds like you crave hardship, but do you really, or are you just asking for punishment for a year of goofing off at school? Do you just feel like you need a break from the rhythm of school?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by philosophe
But what about Bob's questions above? Are you earning straight A's? Are you taking the hard courses? Do you go to talks, lectures, exhibits, performances on campus? Or have you been taking the easy (but boring) path, partying too much, etc?

I can't say that I'm just sitting around and drinking. I'm president of my school's chapter of the College Democrats, editor on the undergrad. history review, involved in a couple other clubs, etc. I attend lectures that interest me. The problem is, I don't go to a very good university and the talks/lectures are very limited.

Honestly, part of the issue is the school I attend. Transferring would probably make me feel a lot better.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Honestly, part of the issue is the school I attend. Transferring would probably make me feel a lot better.

It's too bad the girls all think you're gay because you've posted some super-hot ones. Serious advice: if you transfer, drop the proud mary & liza minelli routines. :p

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
It's too bad the girls all think you're gay because you've posted some super-hot ones. Serious advice: if you transfer, drop the proud mary & liza minelli routines. :p

I can drop the Liza, but TINA?! Seems near-impossible.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't say that I'm just sitting around and drinking. I'm president of my school's chapter of the College Democrats, editor on the undergrad. history review, involved in a couple other clubs, etc. I attend lectures that interest me. The problem is, I don't go to a very good university and the talks/lectures are very limited.

Sounds like a transfer might really help. Where are you in school now, and are your grades very good to excellent? Have you identified some schools that you're interested in? Are there some faculty members at your current institution whom you could ask for letters of recommendation? For example, is there a faculty sponsor or mentor for the College Dems?

Did you take all "freshman" courses? Some schools have so many requirements that freshmen end up taking lots of (usually boring) intro courses. Subsequent years are more interesting as students choose their fields of study.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sounds like a transfer might really help. Where are you in school now, and are your grades very good to excellent? Have you identified some schools that you're interested in? Are there some faculty members at your current institution whom you could ask for letters of recommendation? For example, is there a faculty sponsor or mentor for the College Dems? Did you take all "freshman" courses? Some schools have so many requirements that freshmen end up taking lots of (usually boring) intro courses. Subsequent years are more interesting as students choose their fields of study.
No, I took a lot of higher level courses. I had to take HIS 209 as a prerequisite but I am now taking HIS 390 and HIS 395 along with higher-level English (poetry and literature) courses. The only school I would really love to transfer to is Ohio State. So I might do that.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Don't mean to be a dick or anything, but you say that you've never had it hard,

Oh, he's had it hard alright.

Stop being such a whiny *****. You twenty-something college ***** are such spoiled, royal pains **********. Don't like the school, move to another. Schools not cool enough for you, get a damn job and a ton of bills/responsiblity. Either way, just have a coke and a smile and shut the **** up. And here's a news flash, unless you are looking to be a journalist or a teacher, start taking some different classes/joining different clubs pronto. When are you coming to NYC? I got to get a hold of you and set your ass straight (easy opening for a lame GQGeek joke)

Originally Posted by GQgeek

This is the most disgusting part of Conne's existence. He claims to be hetero, would love to get laid by any of those chicks he post pics with and he goes about that by cockslapping them, doing a Tina Turner routine and wearing clothing more appropriate for a 60 year old vacationing on the Cape.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why Ohio State? If history is your passion, is that the best place? What are you thinking about doing after college?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why Ohio State? If history is your passion, is that the best place? What are you thinking about doing after college?

History is my primary passion, yes, but politics is a very close second. This is why I want to work on the Hill and get an M.P.P. or a master's in foreign relations. Foreign Service is not easy to get into, but it interests me.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
History is my primary passion, yes, but politics is a very close second. This is why I want to work on the Hill and get an M.P.P. or a master's in foreign relations. Foreign Service is not easy to get into, but it interests me.

Sounds interesting and demanding. What about schools in the DC area (e.g., Univ of Maryland, Hopkins, Georgetown, all of which are very good institutions for your areas of interest)? Does Ohio State offer some good connection to the Hill or a major you're especially interested in? Why not be closer to the action?

Are you working on foreign languages? Start now, if you haven't already! And what are your plans for study abroad?

The Foreign Service exam is indeed difficult but not out of reach.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
(easy opening for a lame GQGeek joke)

You started it.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sounds interesting and demanding. What about schools in the DC area (e.g., Univ of Maryland, Hopkins, Georgetown, all of which are very good institutions for your areas of interest)? Does Ohio State offer some good connection to the Hill or a major you're especially interested in? Why not be closer to the action?

Are you working on foreign languages? Start now, if you haven't already! And what are your plans for study abroad?

The Foreign Service exam is indeed difficult but not out of reach.

I've looked into Maryland quite a bit, and it's a possibility for sure. OSU has a great poli. sci. program, even when compared to those in D.C. Also has a solid history department, but I'd imagine UMaryland does too.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, joining the military to be sent off to die in Iraq is a brilliant idea.

seriously, what do you have to lose?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads