• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailor Made Sweater?

rlevine

Reaction score
I really want a simple black crewneck sweater. Since it is going to be pricey, does anyone know where I can find a tailor that makes one? Does WW Chan do it? I suspect that this would require a whole new line of fabrics than their suit making operation, so I doubt it.

I just want a simple sweater, so I don't want to pay for a "designer" sweater that is just a plain crewneck. I also want it to be perfect.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Trillion
315 Worth Avenue
Palm Beach, FL 33480
561-832-3525

I know that they will make custom sweaters, but probably have a minimum order and since it is Trillion, I can only guess that they must be cashmere...but I could be wrong. Regarding price...well you get what you pay for.

Jon.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is away from my principal expertise but I'll take a stab.

Knitwear is not made by tailors. It's woven, by machine or by hand. You'd need a knitter to make one for you, although I'm not certain why you'd want to. High quality black crewneck sweaters are pretty easy to find.

Will

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really want a simple black crewneck sweater.  Since it is going to be pricey, does anyone know where I can find a tailor that makes one?  Does WW Chan do it?  I suspect that this would require a whole new line of fabrics than their suit making operation, so I doubt it.

I just want a simple sweater, so I don't want to pay for a "designer" sweater that is just a plain crewneck.  I also want it to be perfect.
With your grand mother

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(rlevine @ 11 Nov. 2004, 6:11) I really want a simple black crewneck sweater. Â Since it is going to be pricey, does anyone know where I can find a tailor that makes one? Â Does WW Chan do it? Â I suspect that this would require a whole new line of fabrics than their suit making operation, so I doubt it. I just want a simple sweater, so I don't want to pay for a "designer" sweater that is just a plain crewneck. Â I also want it to be perfect.
With your grand mother
Ahhh... Classic Ernest. RLevine: Indulge us and tell us please why the need for a MTM, crew neck sweater. Are you a special hard to fit size? JJF

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seize Sur Vingt http://www.16sur20.com/msweaters.html I cannot attest to the quality or price since I don't own any of their knitwear. The RTW sweaters I inspected in the store were high quality, but NOT top quality (e.g. closer to TSE than LP in terms of handwork). I have a cashmere sweater from Trillion courtesy of Lance (discostu). Nice yarn, but ridiculously price according to the tag ($795 for a lightweight V-neck).

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are people on EBay who claim to sell their service to hand-knit garments (sweaters, blankets, scarves, hats, etc.) in the yarn, colors, designs, etc. of your choosing. You can find them by doing a search in for "hand made sweater" or "hand knit" or similar language. There's one I actually took a closer look at (but didn't bite) who charged I think about $350 for a basic wool sweater.

Otherwise -- get your wife/GF to make you one.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there are small businesses up in New England and Minnesota and similar cold climes where women knit for a living. Some of them probably have websites which likely can be found through a well worded google search.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
There is a place near where I live that has a sign advertising reweaving and knitwear repairs. I have a cashmere sweater I am going to bring to them, and when I do, I will ask them if they can do custom knits or know someone who does.

If you can find a place like this near you, you might ask them.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You may want to try one of the FIH ones, as I believe they are made by the same places as higher end brands but are still at a low price $80 I believe.

rlevine

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I guess now that I was a little naive. I thought that a thick cashmere fabric could be cut and sewn into a sweater the same way that a shirt is.

It IS actually hard for me to find good fitted cashmere where I live. I'm not a hard size, but I would like the fit to be as good as possible, especially since it will be expensive.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may want to try one of the FIH ones, as I believe they are made by the same places as higher end brands but are still at a low price $80 I believe.
Thanks Drizzt, actually thats what I was trying to get a feel for, ...Cant fool you, can I?
wink.gif
But it turns out that Mr. Levine is in search of a Cashmere Crew Neck Sweater and I am only carrying extrafine merinos this year. (This year that is...stay tuned for next years Cashmeres and Designs.). Oh Well.
smile.gif
Mr Levine: Â I do believe that it can be done in the manner in which you mention, and why not? Â In fact I have seen clothing made out of Lana Tagliata which is Cut Wool prety much in the same manner in which you speak. JJF

brescd01

Reaction score
Liste Rouge offers made to measure cashmere sweaters with your choice of models, through its French website (not its American one).

andreyb

Reaction score
rlevine, There is a company in Northern Ireland, called "Kilkee Knitwear". According to their web-site, they've made knitwear for many, many (have I said MANY?) fashion labels: http://www.kilkeelknitwear.com/fashion_labels.htm They offer both machine- and hand-knitted garments, made to your size and style requirements, and you can order just single garment. You can e-mail them a picture of desired garment, and then they will answer you with details regarding materials / cost / production time, etc. Kilkeel's web-site: http://www.kilkeelknitwear.com/ Also, there is a famous Welsh company, called "Corgi Hosiery". On their web-site (http://www.corgihosiery.co.uk/products.htm) they wrote: "As all the Corgi products are hand made, we do not require any minimum order quantity, and will happily produce one garment for a customer." Having said that, I haven't any experience with these companies. Should you decide to go with one of these companies, please share your experience with us. Andrey

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Wow, amazing find. The 'machine knitting' section shows an example of the "Harry Potter turtleneck" and it's only "£ 52 (or dollar equivalent) in wool, and £65 (or dollar equivalent) in lambswool". That's custom made to your specifications. Very affordable. They will even use lambswool/alpaca blend (though no cashmere). I will definitely keep this in mind. Thanks for the link.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I've always wanted a sweater vest shaped like a suit vest: you know, very low "v" in front to show a lot of tie; largish armholes with some "scoop." Â I see pictures of vests like this in old issues of Apparel Arts, but all the sweater vests sold in stores today are really boxy, and the neck is so high they show almost no tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics