• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

T. m. lewin shirts

DandySF

Reaction score
Has anybody ordered shirts from T.M. Lewin? Â They look to be classic British shirts. Â They'd cost about $60 if I'm converting the currency correctly. Â What did you think of their shirts? Â Link to T.M. Lewin

gregory

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone thought that their collars are slightly odd--i.e. unattractive?
ppbw.jpg
In my opinion, Charles Tyrwhitt offers nicer designs. Their classic range of shirts can be had for $40 during 50% off sales. I find the quality of their classic range satisfactory. I have no experience with T M Lewin.

BjornH

Reaction score
I have a few and I'm very pleased with them. Good value for money and they hold up well. No exiting designs but TM Lewin is a good place for your basic shirts. Check out H&K as well - a bit more expensive and conservative but the extra money is well spent. The webpage is rather ghetto but usable: Â Hilditch and Key webpage I remember seeing another link for USA customers posted a year or longer ago - do a search on the forum and perhaps you'll come across it. The collar in the picture is probably the full spread collar. They have another slightly less spread but both of them look very good with a tie alhough the full spread is a bit too dressy for many occations B

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have about a dozen Lewins purchased before I learned of Jantzen. They are nice shirts and the spread collar (windsor) is very flattering on me, although in the picture above it looks squashed.

For me, Lewin fits closer that Tyrwhitt and while they offer fewer patterns in their catalogue, they completely change from month to month - unlike CT which is updated but once or so a year.

Are they worth $60? Perhaps their for their luxury line, but Jantzen offers better value and in most cases a higher level of workmanship.

boxcalf

Reaction score
Lewin's luxury line, of 140s cotton, is really rather good, though I'm not tremendously pleased with their regular line shirts. (They also offer an Italian-influenced, "fashion-forward" line, if you like a trim fit and large collars.)

If you're in London in the summer, their sale prices are excellent.

Zubberah

Reaction score
I bought several late last year and I had to keep sending them back. The collars had bubbles in them. The three that I do have are - to be honest - absolute rubbish. Cheaply made with flimsy collars, wrinkles all over the french cuffs and collar and really rough fabric that is hell to iron. Thank god I bought heaps of Tyrrwhitts (same price, much higher quality, no wrinkle, easy to iron). To me, they are nothing but a generic department store brand. I'll never buy them again.

Ken55

Reaction score
I have at least 10 Lewin shirts, all french cuffs. I have been pleased with them so far. The price has been right (bought on sale and I'm a "low-paid" civil servant on a budget), quality seems good, and they fit me better than the Thywritt's (even though I love Thywritt's 120s and 140s). I prefer the look of the Prince of Wales collar over the Windsor.

Chilli padi

Reaction score
I used to buy a lot of TM Lewin shirts. Probably own six of them. I haven't bought any in the past couple of years though because: (a) they are cut too narrow for me (and I am skinny.), and (b) the tail is too short for me. However I like them a lot better than Thomas Pink shirts which I always find are cut too wide for me -- way too much extra fabric around the belly. One good thing about TM Lewin is the shop on Jermyn Street always seems to be having some sort of sale or promotion.

wby

Reaction score
I have ordered a number of shirts from TM Lewin and have been quite happy with them. I was actually first attracted to them by the Prince of Wales collar style. I was looking for spread collar shirts and there were not a lot in my area (most everything in the deep south is button-down collar). Lewin shirts are very well priced. No, they are not Hilditch & Key (which I ordered in their last sale), but for $55.00-$65.00 per shirt, I do not expect it. Also, I like the way they send a catalogue every month with completely different shirts. Much better than other retailers (Brooks Bros., Tyrwhitt, etc.) that send the same catalogue over and over with different covers to make you think something different might be inside.

By the way, for those who get the Lewin catalogues, did you see that they now sell suits? They are very British: side vents, slanted pockets, ticket pocket, etc. Though they advertise that the regular retail price is about $900.00 (just like they advertise that reg. price on shirts is approx. $100.00, though no one ever pays that), they can be ordered for approx. $400.00 (half-price and minus hefty VAT). Catalogue says the suit jacket has a "floating chest piece." I am not real sure what that means, but I imagine that, nevertheless, it is fused. For $400.00 I have considered taking the plunge (I can always return if not satisfied), as I like the details on the suit and would otherwise have to order custom or MTM for much more $$$$ to get a similar suit. Has anyone seen the Lewin suit or can anyone offer any more info on quality?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads