• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***SW&D Photography Thread***

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somewhat recently upgraded from an iPhone 4s to the xperia z5 compact

It really is nice to have a decent camera with you at all times
(nice phone in general too if anyone's looking for one, though the compact version occasionally gets a bit hot)​

Last edited:

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...and finished making my own zine and it's here from the printers.

If you'd like a copy it'll cost you 7 GBD, 15 AUD or 11USD shipped to your door.

More info here: http://mwd.photography/Buy-my-art

..and here are some of the images that are in the zine

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need some input - hopefully the shah kicks around.

In January I want to grab a Medium Format camera - at the moment I'm open to all options (645, 6x6, 67 and 6x9) - learning towards 645 or 67.
Basically I'm trying to work out if it's worth going all out (and buying a really high quality package with some good glass - Mamiya 7 would really be the go to), or whether it's worth getting a less expensive system and trying it out first.

For reference MF is noticably more expensive - it's the same price for film, but 1/3 the exposures per roll, then it's about double the cost for processing and scanning. So you're looking at 60cents per shot for 35mm compared to $2.20 for MF - massive increase.

I'd really be using it to take photos once I've visualised, and maybe even taken a 35mm shot - and for portraits. I'd be using MF to make longer bodies of work with the view to make prints (although I could just buy my own scanner and scan 35mm at massively high resolution) and, perhaps most honestly, many people I admire use MF - I love that the longer barrel length of the lenses gives a different DoF but you still get images that are slightly wide-angle.

I've thought a bit about a TLR (Yashica Mat) and 645 (Mamiya 645) a 6x7 (Mamiya or Pentax, they are about the same price) or a 6x9 (Fuji), but I'm not sure.

Currently I have an Olympus XA, which is tiny and is mainly for travel (though it takes great images) - the issue is that it's not fully manual controls so if I have a particular look I'm going for the camera does over or underexpose for that look.

Thoughts? Ideas? Stay in the cheaper system (35mm) but grab something manual? Go balls to the wall, or dip my feet in (645 is cheaper - more negatives per roll)? Say ******* and head back to digital land?

basil rathbone

Reaction score
I don't have any specific recommendations, but I say jump into MF. The nice thing about used bodies is that you can flip them for what you paid for them. Maybe even make a couple bucks if you time things right.

Shoot a few rolls and see how she goes. If you love it, then your film expenses will obviously go up, but hey - at least you love it. If it's not your thing, sell it.

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I say go for it, try Medium Format.

I have an XA but its not working atm
frown.gif
. Thought at first it was just the light seals but seems its more than that, not sure its fixable. They're really neat little cameras though.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lorcan - if you're in London any time take it to Mr. Cad's - they are a great store, think it's still a family business. Really cool guys. If they can't fix it they'll know who can. If it's not fixable they'll probably let you trade it in as credit towards something new.

atm leaning towards 645, just a bit lighter and cooler.

Last edited:

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are so many good editing apps for smartphones, I love it

Anyone else have an account on EyeEm? Feel free to follow me @JosuaK and I'll be sure to follow back​

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

Need some input - hopefully the shah kicks around.

In January I want to grab a Medium Format camera - at the moment I'm open to all options (645, 6x6, 67 and 6x9) - learning towards 645 or 67.
Basically I'm trying to work out if it's worth going all out (and buying a really high quality package with some good glass - Mamiya 7 would really be the go to), or whether it's worth getting a less expensive system and trying it out first.

For reference MF is noticably more expensive - it's the same price for film, but 1/3 the exposures per roll, then it's about double the cost for processing and scanning. So you're looking at 60cents per shot for 35mm compared to $2.20 for MF - massive increase.

I'd really be using it to take photos once I've visualised, and maybe even taken a 35mm shot - and for portraits. I'd be using MF to make longer bodies of work with the view to make prints (although I could just buy my own scanner and scan 35mm at massively high resolution) and, perhaps most honestly, many people I admire use MF - I love that the longer barrel length of the lenses gives a different DoF but you still get images that are slightly wide-angle.

I've thought a bit about a TLR (Yashica Mat) and 645 (Mamiya 645) a 6x7 (Mamiya or Pentax, they are about the same price) or a 6x9 (Fuji), but I'm not sure.

Currently I have an Olympus XA, which is tiny and is mainly for travel (though it takes great images) - the issue is that it's not fully manual controls so if I have a particular look I'm going for the camera does over or underexpose for that look.

Thoughts? Ideas? Stay in the cheaper system (35mm) but grab something manual? Go balls to the wall, or dip my feet in (645 is cheaper - more negatives per roll)? Say ******* and head back to digital land?

So sorry for delay. I'm curious what you opted for ? My only experience with medium format has been 6x6 (kiev 66cm). I really had fun with it, but I can tell you lugging around soviet era equipment that smells like cabbage isn't the funnest thing in the world -- not until you get the prints back and it all seems worth it in retrospect.

If you have access to a scanner I def say go for it. I was at one point scanning positives, it's really fun but fortunately the local public university had machines that nobody used so it didn't cost me anything. If you want to stick with 35mm I definitely prefer the idea of full manual because otherwise what's the point !

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Mamiya TLR now that I've not shot a roll with yet (gotta replace the light seals first, plus the light is ugly grey bullshit right now). Been using an Olympus XA while traveling because the size is just SO good.

Honestly, I picked it up fairly cheap (beat to ****), but I really just think I'll stick with 35mm - the different size negatives on MF are fun, but really for what I do 35mm scans are fine, and I'm used to to composing with that size in mind.

So, just got to find a 70s SLR that's fully manual with a really good 35mm/50mm lens.

Took a few hundred shots the past month but didn't love many of them :(, some good portraits (want to do more), and a few decent landscape shots.

My first real winter got me bummed.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Olympus OM-1(n) was the last of the OM series to be fully mechanical (sorry i've probably said this several times in different threads already) and i really had fun shooting that. plenty of reviews available and it should be easy to find still. some great lenses were made, too

basil rathbone

Reaction score
I don't usually follow gear releases too often, but Fuji just announced the x70. It's pretty much exactly what I've been thinking about to compliment my x100s and d800. Super small and fixed 28mm equiv. No viewfinder, but I just want something with a decent sensor to throw in my pocket everyday. And of course it has a swivelling touch-screen for "selfies", which I think you'll all agree is crucial.

Ricoh GR is cool, but a fairly seamless transition from Fuji to Fuji would be nice. Lens is a touch slow at f2.8, but not too bad. Might pick one up in the next few months, if I can justify it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads