• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit for a College student

Bolun

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm a college student at a top 10 Business school and I have to get a suit this year for career fairs/speeches/interviews/internships and such.
The only suits I have are a black one and a navy one I got from Men's wearhouse for around $200 each, and they honestly look like ****.

I am thinking of getting a charcoal one because it seems very versatile and I think I look good in charcoal.

I saw a suit thread, but there were so many brands that I didn't know where to start.
Basically what I'm looking for is the best quality/look to cost ratio. In other words, the best value.

I'm in college, so I don't have a lot of money to blow. I would like everything to stay under $2000.
I think I'll need to get shoes too... from what I've read on here, a nice pair of brown leather shoes would run me about $300 correct?

Anyways, just looking for suggestions and to be pointed in the right direction.
Thanks!

yls2012

Reaction score
People will probably hesitate to answer your question because it's constantly asked and answered here. You can find lots of great info by searching.

To summarize: Brooks Brothers, SuitSupply, Kent Wang and eHaberdasher are popular suit brands which run between 500-1000. If you shop around, you could get a nice Italian suit such as a Corneliani or Zegna for under $2k. Ralph Lauren Blue and Black Label suits are popular here as well, although the latter are considered too fashion-forward by many. They run between $1400-2000.

Allen Edmonds are popular shoes; they cost about $300. Conservative and well-made.

I think you should probably get a Brooks Bros suit and AE shoes for your purposes. They will cost about half of your budget.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The only way to understand which suit to buy is to try all the brands mentioned to see how they fit, look, feel and how comfortable you are wearing the suit and comfortable with the look on you. You have come to realize the MW suits don't look right on you. Learn to evaluate fit and what issues you have (meaning,necessary alterations) before you decide on anything. It will be worth it.

dufferin1

Reaction score
A big plus with Suit Supply is they include a return shipping label, so you can buy numerous different suits and simply return the ones you do not want.

saiyar1

Reaction score
Try getting a navy and a charcoal suit from suit supply. Order several sizes and keep the size that fits in each color. Then buy black AE Park Avenues. skip out on brown and keep in very conservative for now. Also buy somber/solid/very subtle pattern burgundy, navy, etc. ties.

Bolun

Reaction score
Ok thank you very much guys.
So are brown shoes considered sort of fashion forward?

Apollotrader

Reaction score
Try getting a navy and a charcoal suit from suit supply. Order several sizes and keep the size that fits in each color. Then buy black AE Park Avenues. skip out on brown and keep in very conservative for now. Also buy somber/solid/very subtle pattern burgundy, navy, etc. ties.

Exactly my thoughts with special attention to how the navy looks. On most people it is much warmer and flattering than grey. A navy BB suit with AE Park Ave's is what many US Presidents have been inaugurated in, you will not have to give what you are wearing a second thought.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I wouldn't call them fashion forward exactly, but black shoes are the most conservative shoes you can wear and you're going to need a pair eventually anyway. You might as well start there until you get a better sense of your style and what's acceptable in whatever work environment you end up with.

Apollotrader

Reaction score
Yes, some in the position of interviewing people might actually be somewhat put off by it. In practice a navy suit with brown shoes is a very classic look.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look around in the sales thread, there is plenty of good deal as well. Learn your measurements.

Presumed you only need 2 new suits and 2 pairs of new shoes, the budget is feasible for Non - SF items.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Asa a student you should be familiar with research. That takes more than the form of asking questions and should be done individually. Therefore the resource here for the purpose is the search function and skimming older threads.

Frankly the same subjects being constantly revisited become boring.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Asa a student you should be familiar with research. That takes more than the form of asking questions and should be done individually. Therefore the resource here for the purpose is the search function and skimming older threads.
Frankly the same subjects being constantly revisited become boring.

+1

And top 10 school? Put $$$ for suits into some derivatives, make money, then get canvassed SF - approved suits

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in the same predicament earlier this summer and went with a navy and a light gray suit. Personally I think charcoal is a bit old fashioned for someone of our age but if it looks good on you go for it.
For suits, have a look at SuitSupply; decent bang for the buck. It might be better to have 2 decent suits when you start an internship than 1 good one.
Take CJ and Carmina into consideration when it comes to shoes.

These are the suits I got.
7969790178_3466142baa_c.jpg

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was in the same predicament earlier this summer and went with a navy and a light gray suit. Personally I think charcoal is a bit old fashioned for someone of our age but if it looks good on you go for it.
For suits, have a look at SuitSupply; decent bang for the buck. It might be better to have 2 decent suits when you start an internship than 1 good one.
Take CJ and Carmina into consideration when it comes to shoes.
These are the suits I got.
7969790178_3466142baa_c.jpg

Your skills with Photoshop (or similar) are very good. The suits are less so especially the trousers which seem to taper too drastically to the point where the 2" turn-ups are over bearing.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tbh I prefer my trouser cut to cuts like the one below but that's all just a matter of taste.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads