• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Subway and Public Transportation Etiquette - The People We Encounter

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
A reader sent us these photos of a man selling a live shark at 1 a.m. on J train recently, telling us the guy was "calling out his product like he was a retro cigarette girl". He said he caught it at Coney Island after 'it bit me **********.'

sharksubway0712.jpeg

2sharksubway0712.jpeg

http://gothamist.com/2012/07/11/man_spotted_selling_live_shark_on_t.php

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I think Gothamist lurks StyleForum. Yesterday they suggested buying umbrellas from Howard Yount, and then today they discuss the creepyness/creaminess of women reading "50 Shades of Grey" on the subway, and then segway into suggestions for "other creepy books" to read while on the subway (which I immediately think of my post about the young AZN reading the textbook chapter on "female reproductive system"). Not to mention the prior articles about people on the subway with photos, from bikes to backpacks, etc.

Last edited:

Ty_Webb

Reaction score
One thing I've noticed quite a bit recently (and perhaps it's because my commute has changed and now I experience these things more) is the person who rides the escalator out of a busy subway station and on getting to the top, just stands there thinking about which way to go, meanwhile there's a rapidly escalating number of people reaching said top of escalator with nowhere left to go. "GET OUT OF THE ******* WAY, YOU marsupial!!!!!!" I want to shout. But I never do...

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A fat indian garbed lady did this yesterday, she rode up then came across to the down side and just stood there. I waved my arms and said, "you going or what?" and she stepped aside in a shocked/scared manner. I ran down and just missed the train.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

A fat indian garbed lady did this yesterday, she rode up then came across to the down side and just stood there. I waved my arms and said, "you going or what?" and she stepped aside in a shocked/scared manner. I ran down and just missed the train.

Better than having her cousins calling us every hours on the phone calling themselves Peter to sell us some crap we do not need...

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One thing I've noticed quite a bit recently (and perhaps it's because my commute has changed and now I experience these things more) is the person who rides the escalator out of a busy subway station and on getting to the top, just stands there thinking about which way to go, meanwhile there's a rapidly escalating number of people reaching said top of escalator with nowhere left to go. "GET OUT OF THE ******* WAY, YOU marsupial!!!!!!" I want to shout. But I never do...

I do shout that. 99% of Japanese can't understand of course but they get the sentiment.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
What the ****? How can you stand living somewhere like that?

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because at the end of the day, you're still living in New York City. I wouldn't have it any other way.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

some highlights
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

This is good - reminds me of the Seinfled episode where Jerry nods off and wakes up across from the naked guy on the subway - I think they ended up talking about the Mets...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics