1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Steak Dinner

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by DNW, Jul 2, 2009.

1. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

que?

they're a little different but the basic idea is really thick steaks cooked in a medium temperature pan with longer cooking times and basting the steak with some butter and a little bit of garlic. it takes me maybe 40~45 minutes including resting times to cook.

manton had a post about it.

2. enjoiii

enjoiii Well-Known Member

No surprise there. People standing in line to proclaim their love of undercooked beef is the food equivalent of dick measuring contests.

Umm ok. I actually like my steak rare. Should I say I like it well done so I don't look like I am trying to hard?

3. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

You had me up to the heiney and sriracha. Why put sriracha on that beautiful cow?

4. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

You had me up to the heiney and sriracha. Why put sriracha on that beautiful cow?

Not on it, just on the side. My taste buds won't activate until I have some sriracha on them.

5. SField

SField Well-Known Member

Why not? A big hunk of meat gets incredibly boring with just salt and pepper.

6. Mauro

Mauro Well-Known Member

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    ^^you still have butter, garlic, rosemary, thyme ...etc

I think direct heat is still the nest way to go for cooking a nice steak.

7. VKK3450

VKK3450 Well-Known Member

Depends on the steak.

Really good dry aged strip / rib eye = Nothing but salt and pepper

Some others I like with marinades, sauces, etc...

K

8. Petyot

Petyot Well-Known Member

It was just about a medium rare, which was just about perfect for me. [​IMG]

That is why I underlined "to my taste". I usually take my steak "blue".

But once again, your meal looks excellent!! [​IMG]

9. Petyot

Petyot Well-Known Member

No surprise there. People standing in line to proclaim their love of undercooked beef is the food equivalent of dick measuring contests.

Ummm ?? I actually like my steak rare and I also have a bigger dick than yours...[​IMG]

10. Cavalier

Cavalier Well-Known Member

Speaking of rare steaks.... I am often disappointed when I order medium rare and it's over cooked. I decided to order rare plus at Morton's and was served a cold, steak which was essentially blue on the inside.... From then on I order medium rare on the rare side but it always comes out overcooked [​IMG]

11. Spatlese

Spatlese Well-Known Member

On the topic of doneness, I’ve found my tastes have changed over the years. I used to prefer a nice bloody centre and really charred on the exterior. Now, I’ve leaned towards more even cooking throughout and less char. I still tend to order medium-rare in most cases if I’m eating out.

12. SField

SField Well-Known Member

Depends on the steak.

Really good dry aged strip / rib eye = Nothing but salt and pepper

Some others I like with marinades, sauces, etc...

K

A ribe eye is a little better since there's such a high fat content, but the concept of a big steak with nothing still gets me really bored.

13. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

This thread is causing my anticipation for my new stove to go through the roof. I'm probably going to have steak every night for a month once it is installed.

I thought you never cooked steak on the stove and had contempt for anyone who did? [​IMG]

14. why

why Well-Known Member

i dont see how that works. salting meat draws out more water through osmosis than protein. greater solute concentration outside draws more water outside.

and i dont see how all said drawn proteins would be washed off in a rinse. there should still be more proteins on the surface than otherwise would be.

Yeah, and steaks have blood in them too, right?

15. premo

premo Well-Known Member

How do you clean your skillet?

16. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

How do you clean your skillet?

Water, sponge, dry on the stove or with paper towel.

17. VKK3450

VKK3450 Well-Known Member

A ribe eye is a little better since there's such a high fat content, but the concept of a big steak with nothing still gets me really bored.

I also like a nicely crusted strip with a pat of butter on top and only salt and pepper.

But thats when I buy a 28+ day dry aged steak from the local butcher. The beefy flavour is condensed to the point I dont need much else.

What kind of stuff do you like with other steaks?

K

18. rnoldh

rnoldh Well-Known Member

Bastard!

You are like one of those TV ads for dining.

It looks so good that you can't resist.

I'm not about to cook it ( though I commend your efforts ), but I'm off to have a ribeye[​IMG]

19. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

Bastard!

You are like one of those TV ads for dining.

It looks so good that you can't resist.

I'm not about to cook it ( though I commend your efforts ), but I'm off to have a ribeye[​IMG]

I should send a bill The National Cattlemen's Beef Association.

Ribeyes are my favorite, but for some reason the strip looked good to me at the butcher shop. And it's been a while since I last had a strip steak. I did remember, while eating the strip steak, why I vastly prefer the ribeye. It is a superior steak.

20. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Well-Known Member