• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sold the car, looking for a bike.

KurtS90

Reaction score
I thought about the e-bike, but don't want to spend that much and it's fairly flat. Savings is my main concern, but I need to loose the weight... Plus I don't want to worry about a pricy bike get stollen. The Trek 7.5 FX is pricey, but looks an average bike and is metallic black. So I am hopping with the low key look and a damn good lock will help protect the bike. When I am in shape and if I get back into biking like I was in my younger days. I will invest in a higher end bike for long distance fun and maybe to University of Tampa if they have a good area to lock up bikes with camera.

~Kurt

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bikes are usually covered by renter's/homeowner's insurance although depending on your deductible, it might not usually be worth a claim (especially if you don't have full replacement cost in your policy).

I've heard that sometimes you can add sort of a separate rider to the policy to cover things like bicycles specifically with a lower deductible or with full replacement cost even though the rest of your policy is depreciated value.

Locks only do so much...but at some point you are just going to have to learn to risk it in order to enjoy the bike (that point will probably come slightly after those first few painful scratches in the paint)

KurtS90

Reaction score
I bought a $60 lock on Amazon, it insures the bike from being stolen up to $3,500. I am going to leave this bike unattended allot and will enjoy the bike. But for $850 I am not going to sweat it very much. If I spent $3,000 on a Carbon Fiber road racing bike, (Test rode one and fell in love, I want to be in shape and have the funds for one in 6 months) I would probably pistol whip the SOB who stole the bike... Plus renters deductible is $500 and riders did not seem worth it in the long run.

But I will pick up the bike tomorrow. I already ordered a Garmin Edge 800 and the lock. I will order fender and a trunk/bag later this week. I am happy with the deal and the bike rode very nicely... Just wish it had drop handle bars.

~Kurt

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I bought a $60 lock on Amazon, it insures the bike from being stolen up to $3,500. I am going to leave this bike unattended allot and will enjoy the bike. But for $850 I am not going to sweat it very much. If I spent $3,000 on a Carbon Fiber road racing bike, (Test rode one and fell in love, I want to be in shape and have the funds for one in 6 months) I would probably pistol whip the SOB who stole the bike... Plus renters deductible is $500 and riders did not seem worth it in the long run.

But I will pick up the bike tomorrow. I already ordered a Garmin Edge 800 and the lock. I will order fender and a trunk/bag later this week. I am happy with the deal and the bike rode very nicely... Just wish it had drop handle bars.

~Kurt

Just FYI, those bike lock deals are barely worth the paper they are printed on. You have to follow every direction to the T (register right away) and the only way to recover funds is to provide them with the broken lock which is pretty unlikely. I had a bike stolen and there was certainly no trace of the lock. Sure maybe you will find the broken lock tossed into the bushes but its not a great guarantee. Also it means that if it gets stolen by breaking whatever it is locked too they won't pay up.

Just lock it up well (preferably next to another bike that is locked up poorly) and hope for the best :)

KurtS90

Reaction score
I only had one bike stolen in the past, but it was the one time I failed to lock it up... This thing just appears to be a chain and a lock, lol... But I figured just locking it, taking the GPS, and trunk bag with me. The bike should still be there when I return. I notice most the stores I visit have bike racks or a large pole I could lock it to. Plus Clearwater, FL is not exactly the ghetto and there's lots of bikes/scooters due to our insanely high insurance for the area.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KQ5ZRG/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details

While I am sure there will be hell in getting them to pay if the bike is stolen... I just hope I don't have to deal with it. This heavy ass chain/lock will hopefully make them go to the next one or bring something more then hand tools.

~Kurt

Last edited:

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok, congrat s on getting a bike, as a bike rider for many years i have many advice to give you

1/ get a steel bike like i do, if you ride a lot you need your bike to be reliable and durable, steel does that, it doesn't snap instantly, if that happens on the front fork it means you will get into an acident for sure

2/ go single speed like i do, gears are too complicated, you don't need 30 speeds, only 1 will do. bikign is too easy, just stick with one gear, even 1 gear is too easy, you can never get tired by biking. i don't recommend fixed gear cause that fad is over and plusyou would want to coast sometimes.

3/ get a kryptonite lock like i do, i got the evolution mini and i use the shedon moethod to lock, but that guide is wrong, don;t lock just by the rear wheel, too easy to cut, make sure your lock catches a part of the metal frame with you lock.

4/ get a leather saddle liek i do, cause we are on styleforum and like leather goods.

enjoy your bike

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's one big ass heavy lock and chain.
You might want to read this.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

Re locking: Remember, with enough time a thief can get through anything. The aim is to make yours more of a pain ********** to take than the one next to you. So a big krypto U lock and a thick chain will make your bike very unattractive. Especially when the thief knows that around the corner is another bike with a cheap cable lock he can get through in a minute.

b

KurtS90

Reaction score
I just did 5.9 Miles according to my iPhone. I don't know what speeds I hit, but it's a fast little thing. I am out of shape, but I think I could probably do 10-12 miles maximum safely at the moment. I will upload a pic later tonight. But I am in love with the way this beast rides. I can't imagine a full carbon bike and I loose 40 pounds, they rode great around the block of the bike store.

~Kurt

KurtS90

Reaction score
2011 Trek 7.5 FX, with rack and trunk... Just waiting for my Garmin 800 Edge Bundle and will be set.

~Kurt

Last edited:

KurtS90

Reaction score
Received the lock and Garmin 800 Bundle today. Lock is perfect size, but heavy as hell. The Garmin 800 seems to be a pain the ass... Who ever wrote these directions needs to be fired. I got the cadence sensor things lined up and tighten them down... Now when I rotate the crank, it no longer shows lined up or at least it's not lighting up for every past. I have yet to ride it (will tomorrow) to see how it all works, this just initial set up and playing around.

~Kurt

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cleaned up my bike. Hope to get a ride in later today.

Cleaned mine up and went for a short, but hard ride after my gym workout the other day. Kinda sucked that my workout included squats...

Great weather for a ride though. Today not so much...

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a nice, albeit short, ride this afternoon. First time I'd been on the bike in years. Took a bit of time to reacquaint myself with it, but then it was wonderful. My quads and calves were not happy though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads