• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sold the car, looking for a bike.

innerstyle

Reaction score
Assuming you are using it for commuting, will you leave it locked up, unattended in some public place? If so, I wouldn't spend a lot on a new expensive bike. Just get something cheap and used from Craigslist.

vm1336

Reaction score
I would go with the Long Haul Trucker. I found mine used for $400 and I use it more than my carbon race bikes and my mountain bike.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The main problem with OP choosing the bike is that he plans initially to use it for 5-6 mile rides and then eventually increase to 25 mile trips.

Herein lies the problem: for short trips you don't need anything fancy, something from your local walmart should work.
Riding a bike for 25 miles is no easy feat and goes into a totally different price range and configuration. It needs to be light, suited to your body geometry, no luggage racks etc.

For short trips (up to 12 miles) a have a $500 Fisher, for long-distance riding a Pinarello

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You'd want more than a bum bike for 25 mile but that's really not a very long distance, especially if it's flat.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
25 miles is two hours on a ****** bike with racks' and stuff and would be hell, especially in florida summer

vm1336

Reaction score

Yep, one would need a pretty decent bike for this distance on a daily basis.

My commute into Denver is 25 miles, so I rarely do it on the bike. That being said my Surly LHT is only about 5 minutes slower than my carbon fiber road bike for the commute. And the 1.5" Scwalbe Marathon tires on it will plow through glass and potholes. With traffic lights the ride takes me about 1:45-1:50 each way (with a couple of big hills).

One problem with long bike commutes is that weather can change on you during the course of the ride. That's why I have water proof panniers (Ortlieb) and front and back fenders. I also carry rain gear just in case.

IronRock

Reaction score
For the money you cannot beat the flexibilty of the Specialized Tricross (nothing to do with Triathalons). You can fit all manner of fenders and panniers to it. Carbon front fork with damper make for a smooth ride. Aluminium construction might not be to everyones liking but the geometry of the tubes make it feel like a steel bike imo. Big cog for the flat, tiny cog if you got any hills, can take fat tyres or tiny skinny tyres. Cantilever brakes are probs the only bad thing.

And

It's great value.

KurtS90

Reaction score
Sorry it has taken me so long to update. I test drove a Trek 520 and loved it, the drop down handle bars will take some getting use to (mostly brake/shifting). But they do seem a bit more comfortable, when not tucked in. The ride was smooth as silk, yet versatile, and I can get it moving when needed. So I am moving this style bike up top. It does seem most bike competitors use the same components, so really little difference I would imagine?

Yes, this bike would mostly be used for 6-10 miles a day. Monday-Saturday, Sunday is my lazy days. I am not including entertainment, if I want to go out and see the movies or just scoot down to the beach. As much as I would like to do the 25 mile one way trip, I would only only consider it if I am in great shape. But I don't see it as a feasible option for up to 4 times a week... Maybe once a week and if I loved commuting by bike I could invest in a Triathlon series. But I think by this time I would have either bought a scooter for the long distance since they are cheap to insure, maybe a Alfa Romeo Spider or 450SL if insurance is reasonable...

I was going to buy this week, but may push it back to the end of the month... My laptop is getting a bit sketchy and it maybe time to get something with a warranty to last me through most of college.

~Kurt

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Sorry it has taken me so long to update. I test drove a Trek 520 and loved it, the drop down handle bars will take some getting use to (mostly brake/shifting). But they do seem a bit more comfortable, when not tucked in. The ride was smooth as silk, yet versatile, and I can get it moving when needed. So I am moving this style bike up top. It does seem most bike competitors use the same components, so really little difference I would imagine?
~Kurt

The key to the drop handle bars is to realize that most people ride on the "hood" of the brakes most of the time (even the pros) which sets you more upright than the bottom of the drops. You only go down into the drops when you are pushing it hard or fighting a headwind and want to get down. Otherwise having your hands in the hoods and sometimes moving them up to the tops of the bars with occasional trips down into the drops means you have a lot of different hand positions so when your hands get tired of one, you just switch to a new part of the bar for a few minutes.

100 yrs

Reaction score
i ride my long haul trucker to work almost everyday, about 7 miles each way, and it's perfect. i would poke around on http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php as there's tons of threads just like this. the trek 520 looks solid, i think you're in the right ball park. for your primary transport for short trips, you need the rack + a good set of panniers.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The components on that 520, assuming stock, aren't that great. Servicable sure, but definitely far from great.

Again, the components on the Nashbar touring bike are several steps better and the price is less expensive (from the prices I've seen of the 520). I haven't personally tested out either though (hard to with the Nashbar as it's online only) though on paper, I think I prefer the nashbar geometry to the 520 as well.

Both are more relaxed and longer than my steel Bianchi, therefore better suited for long tours but a little bit heavy.

Last edited:

KurtS90

Reaction score
Well bought a bike, 2011 Trek 7.5 FX. They threw in Trek Red Shield 5 Year Service plane and a water battle/cage... I also purchase a rack system. Probably not the best deal, but I am happy with it. Pick it up Monday and will post pics. I also applied for the Trek Card and was approved for 6 month interest free financing (Will pay it off in 4-5). I rode the bike for about a mile and felt like a kid again (Reminds me of my old bikes, but more street). Hopefully in 6-8 months I will be in good shape and really want a Road Race bike for the weekend/events. Thanks for the help guys. I know I went a bent different, but I felt the deal was good for me. I still have easy access to a car and only intend to carry laptop/books/water.

~Kurt

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads