• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So has anyone actually grown out of acne?

TowleY

Reaction score
Im 17 as well. The thing is that hte only time I seem to get acne is when I eat chocolate. I have no idea what in the chocolate can do this but if I eat a hershys bar the next day ill have stuff all over my face. Its weird how other candys containing no chocolate, gummy bears, licorice etc. dont make this happen. So it cant be the sugar. Still perplexed by it.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I developed terrible acne when I was about 15 and suffered with it for several months before it finally dawned on my parents that they should take me to a damned dermitologist. They kept harranguing me to stop touching my face, to stop eating sweets, to wash my face three times a day. What they didn't understand is that serious acne is a blood and skin disorder often triggered by hormonal changes, and that nothing about diet or washing or touching your face has anything to do with it.

Even though that was many years ago, well before the age of acutane, almost immediately after going on medication, I saw my acne start to disappear almost in a magical transformation.

When my son turned 15, he started to develop really bad acne, and we immediately got him on acutane. The difference was remarkable and fast.

Towley and others--I can't stress enough the value of seeing a doctor for acne. My parents would not have done this because they simply did not know enough about it. It took a very kind dentist, after seeing me for a routine dental check, to enlighten my parents about the necessity of doing so. If your parents won't or can't do it for you, see your school nurse or somebody who can refer you.

aizan

Reaction score
if you think something is making you break out, look at what you ate 2-3 weeks ago. that's how long it takes for a zit to develop. the day before is meaningless. i suspect you won't see any correlation to diet.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
yeah, despite the fact that I am nursing a zit the size of a small marble on my forehead now, I basically grew out of the teenage spots at around 19 or 20.

Get the odd one here and there of course, I don't think that will ever completely pass - but back when I was younger I found that most of the expensive ways of getting rid of pimples just left me with really shiny pimples.

The best thing I found for my skin was washing it with really cheap supermarket store-brand soap. Dried the hell out of them.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Of course, there are different kinds of acne. There's the mild, surface variety, which can usually just be treated by more stringent cleansing and diet. Then there's the more serious kind, which is more cyst-like, and forms more beneath the skin. This type is likely caused by changes in the body which only medication can really fix.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Accutane in low doses has been shown to be successful with much less chance of experiencing severe side effects.

You hear conflicting advice about sugar consumption and acne, but I can say with 100% certainty that sugar can give you zits. My skin has never been bad, but it became almost perfect when I cut out sugar. Since I did that, I have noticed I get a few spots every time I indulge in sugary products.

And 17 years old is rather early to be thinking that you should be past acne.

obiter dictum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
For daily maitenance I use the acne.og regiment.
Acne.org works. I've had light to medium breakouts since I was 15, which more or less destroyed my self-esteem. At 20 I finally realized that this wasn't going to just go away and started looking around for things that might help. Happened upon acne.org pretty quickly and went with it. About a month after my first application of the BP gel, I was starting to really clear up. Two years later I'm more or less completely cleared up (single-zit breakouts once in a while and some scars). Whenever I try not using the BP gel for a few weeks however, I start breaking out like crazy, so I know it works. Such a pain **********, but worth it.

Casey

Reaction score
As of right now, I am on doxycycline and even though it's not for most people, it works for me. The only problem I really have right now is scarring and gross skin texture.

In the past, what I did was apply a 10% benzoyl peroxide cream by Nature's Cure on my face (you can get it at Wal-Mart.) It was the only benzoyl peroxide I had ever come across that didn't bleach all my nice clothes (and if you're on SF, I'm sure this may be of concern to you.) Along with a Dermalogica clay cleanser, my skin got a lot better but it was only the pills made made the acne go away. Unfortunately, I was really busy at one point within the past few months and didn't take my pills for about a week or two and my face went downhill again. So there are upsides and downsides to taking the medicine.

If you get pimples all the time, it's probably not the surface of the skin that's the problem, but there are still a couple things that might be of interest to you. For example, your dead skin cells are probably all over your pillowcase so changing it more often might help and if it doesn't, you'll sleep easier knowing that there aren't dead skin cells all over it.

And I hear people use stuff around the house to treat their acne. For example, some people wash their face with baking soda, or they might make a 20 minute ask with lemon and sugar or honey. If your acne is bad enough, you might want to try it. I'll admit I did for a little bit. But not long enough to see if anything changed.

Oh, and one last thing, I use a tiny bit of tea tree oil on my face every day too, and I don't know what it really does but my skin feels nice afterwards (If I don't use too much).

cosep69

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 4n6er
long time lurker, first time poster.

Im getting pretty sick of it. Im 17 years old btw. I dont have really horrible skin, but I do have moderate acne. Im feeling optimistic about growing out of it though, because none of my (older) family members have it. How do you guys feel about it?

strange..
biggrin.gif

AKMetal

Reaction score
I had pretty irritating acne throughout middle school and early high school. i rarely get zits anymore, probably just about as common as most normal people do now. im 19.

Reaction score
Per recommendation of a best friend, I started taking coral calcium. The dosage from my bottle is 1000 mg per serving, and it's worked pretty well. I understood it to act as a "leveler" with acid or pH in the body. Basically, my face is MUCH less oily (probably around 80% less). If you're having a problem with a greasy face, try coral calcium. You can get it @ any drug store/Wal-Mart kind of place.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads