• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sid Mashburn Online Store Live

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Sid Mashburn gets amazing press because he is a master at promotion, marketing, etc. Terms like "curate" and "edit" (fairly recently adopted by the fashion industry) are used continually in positioning the company as some sort cutting edge men's traditional shop, if such a concept weren't so self-contradictory. It's a better than okay shop with a decent selection of basic kinds of goods, nothing really wrong with it. Quality is midrange (shirts, shoes, etc) in most categories, certainly with some exceptions (clothing). It is best used by someone without great taste or sense of style because shopping at SM will keep one safe (as long as you don't chop your trousers off two or three inches too short!) and provide a pleasant atmosphere within which to obtain guidance. Chances are you will come out the other end looking pretty good. If you have a good eye and strong sense of your own style you can do far, far better operating in the larger world and "self-editing." That's where the real pleasure is, if you are able. Not everyone is.

I will say that I am a fan of SM. You're spot on with the marketing associated with his business, evidenced by "style bloggers" and GQ using his pubic hair as fire poles. However, I think the offerings in the B&M store are far more varied and unique than the offerings on the site. There have been several things in there, from accessories like watch bands and glasses to clothing like shoes and jeans, that have caught my eye and stood out as quite unique (especially for Atlanta).

However, I don't agree with your sentiment in regards to taste and style. While you can't expect the quality (in materials or craftsmanship) of Kiton, Cucinelli or the like from the store, they certainly stock well made products at reasonable prices. I think when they look to compare themselves to "celebrated $250 shirts, etc" they are saying there are several companies that sell their goods at that price point that do not have the attention to quality they have, rather than saying that their goods are on-par with goods that are worth the $250-a-shirt price point.

I also find it mildly amusing you are extolling daring or "unsafe" styles on SF. :D

coolshoes

Reaction score

I also find it mildly amusing you are extolling daring or "unsafe" styles on SF. :D

Where did I say this? I said that a person was safe in seeking SM's guidance, meaning that when they left the store no one will have to issue a "dressed in the dark alert," so to speak, and in fact that they will look pretty good.

Methinks you misinterpret.

coolshoes

Reaction score

However, I don't agree with your sentiment in regards to taste and style. While you can't expect the quality (in materials or craftsmanship) of Kiton, Cucinelli or the like from the store, they certainly stock well made products at reasonable prices. I think when they look to compare themselves to "celebrated $250 shirts, etc" they are saying there are several companies that sell their goods at that price point that do not have the attention to quality they have, rather than saying that their goods are on-par with goods that are worth the $250-a-shirt price point. :D

As to Sid Mashburn's price point on shirts, the specs they continually quote (stitches/inch, button material, etc.) are at least as much about marketing as they are substance. The actual construction and sewing values are somewhere in the middle. I never compared their shirts to anyone else. Sure, there are all kinds of overpriced goods out there. So what. Sid's shirts are okay and a decent value for the price. However, they are not the nirvana some make them out to be.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Methinks you misinterpret.

Methinks you might be right.

I was reading between the lines. I read that you were attempting to say that those with real style or taste choose more bold or less safe routes to acquire and wear their clothes than SM. SM (minus the occasional ankle "cleavage") tends to be pretty conservative and trad, both in cut and styling. Therefore, to say that shopping in an environment hawking those kinds wares is in less than good taste, I surmised that you were advocating a more severe style of dress. Especially on MC, this is hardly ever the SF opinion.

I apologize if I misinterpreted your stance or read too much into your comments. I fear this is why I was never able to excel at standardized testing. :D

TintinATL

Reaction score
The online store has only a fraction of what's in the real store, and it's the less remarkable stuff. Maybe this will change in time and they will broaden the range.

The store itself has some very nice product, and the advice and tailoring is excellent. However I do find the "look how cool we are" – vinyl records, ping pong table, have a bottled water while you browse – a little irritating. There's an arch, so-*******-hip air about it all that's just annoying.

That said, there is no better store in Atlanta.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gus, what'd you think of Sid's in the flesh?

I returned from a very enjoyable trip to Atlanta. I especially enjoyed shopping at Sid Mashburn for several reasons:
-The setting is very attractive and roomy for browsing with lots natural light.
-The staff is very friendly. They didn't hover, and they offered me a bottle of Coke. When they did talk they were very informative. The entire staff dressed well, in a dressy casual style (ties, no socks, etc.)
-The inventory ranged from Caruso made house jackets and suits to Sartorio jackets and even a few Attolini classic grey suits. They have a nice range of price points with private label shirts in the $140+ range, shorts, sport shirts in S,M,L, XL in classic fabrics and colors. Shoes ranges from AS, to a few EG and then some American made private label. Most of their pants are private label and say "made in Brooklyn". It was nice to see a specialty store not selling the same things that you find in Neimans or Saks.

One thing I especially liked was that they played vinyl records on a turntable and have a ping pong table in the center. But what was most impressive was that they have their tailoring staff right on display working on alterations and not hidden in a back room.

It is too bad that a lot of the atmosphere of the store isn't on the website. Adding music and some videos of the setting would go a long way I think. Also adding a blog with style ideas and examples of outfits would go a long way to show off their house style. That is currently missing from the site, I think.

Of course the selection in the store is much broader than on the website. I'm sure they are still discovering what sells best on line and I will look forward to see how it evolves. While I was there I bought 3 house brand shirts, socks and a pocket square. The shirts have a nice cut. Trim but not skinny.

Retail has been tough for everyone the last few years, but Sid is doing something right. Please open a store in San Francisco!

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

However I do find the "look how cool we are" – vinyl records, ping pong table, have a bottled water while you browse – a little irritating. There's an arch, so-*******-hip air about it all that's just annoying.

I can't imagine why someone would find this store annoying. Cool music, offering you a beverage? The guys were stylish and very nice to me. I completely disagree with your "so-*******-hip" air about the place comment. That was not at all my experience.

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The online store has only a fraction of what's in the real store, and it's the less remarkable stuff. Maybe this will change in time and they will broaden the range.

The store itself has some very nice product, and the advice and tailoring is excellent. However I do find the "look how cool we are" – vinyl records, ping pong table, have a bottled water while you browse – a little irritating. There's an arch, so-*******-hip air about it all that's just annoying.

That said, there is no better store in Atlanta.

This isn't my take at all. I like the vinyl records, the ping pong table was being used to lay out new clothing items last couple of times I was there. The offer of something to drink comes across as trying to make their clientele feel comfortable. As for the staff, they have always come across as genuinely wanting to help. The on-site tailoring is fantastic. I actually traveled to Atlanta several times on business and took items to be altered there; a suit, shirts, pants...
I do wish that the Sid Mashburn line was more on the trim fit side of things. The shirts and pants I've bought there have all required alterations. If I remember correctly, it's $10 per item no matter what needs to be done and they are more than willing to mail it to me after the work is completed.
Certainly agree with your last comment though.

zachthais

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I returned from a very enjoyable trip to Atlanta. I especially enjoyed shopping at Sid Mashburn for several reasons:
-The setting is very attractive and roomy for browsing with lots natural light.
-The staff is very friendly. They didn't hover, and they offered me a bottle of Coke. When they did talk they were very informative. The entire staff dressed well, in a dressy casual style (ties, no socks, etc.)
-The inventory ranged from Caruso made house jackets and suits to Sartorio jackets and even a few Attolini classic grey suits. They have a nice range of price points with private label shirts in the $140+ range, shorts, sport shirts in S,M,L, XL in classic fabrics and colors. Shoes ranges from AS, to a few EG and then some American made private label. Most of their pants are private label and say "made in Brooklyn". It was nice to see a specialty store not selling the same things that you find in Neimans or Saks.

One thing I especially liked was that they played vinyl records on a turntable and have a ping pong table in the center. But what was most impressive was that they have their tailoring staff right on display working on alterations and not hidden in a back room.

It is too bad that a lot of the atmosphere of the store isn't on the website. Adding music and some videos of the setting would go a long way I think. Also adding a blog with style ideas and examples of outfits would go a long way to show off their house style. That is currently missing from the site, I think.

Of course the selection in the store is much broader than on the website. I'm sure they are still discovering what sells best on line and I will look forward to see how it evolves. While I was there I bought 3 house brand shirts, socks and a pocket square. The shirts have a nice cut. Trim but not skinny.

Retail has been tough for everyone the last few years, but Sid is doing something right. Please open a store in San Francisco!

Any chance you remember the price points on any of those suits? I really dig Mashburn's style and in my personal experience, he's a great guy. Unfortunately, I'm all the way here in CA so I haven't been able to find any of his suits anywhere.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads