• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I wear suits for college?

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Harvey, don't Cardinal Newman has a uniform? I remember when I was in Brighton, both GSCEs and A level had sets of uniforms to follow. Obviously, if the 6th form requires suits and school tie, it will be stupid to not wear one. If they don't, it is best to commission some odd jackets and trousers for school, if you are keen on the sharp looking side.

TBH, forget what you should wear, the girls in Newman is generally the hottest in the region, beats my old school and Brighton Hove High.

xMaximex

Reaction score
This is an appropriate username. In my experience, rich kids tend to wear everything but classy clothes - and even a suit. If you wear a suit daily (second skin!), why would you come here asking for our opinion? A tucked shirt (with a tie, if part of the uniform) will be more than enough.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the US there aren't separate colleges/universities for future lawyers. That starts in law school, after your bachelors degree. So I went to undergrad with plenty of future lawyers. Nobody even really wore a SC ever, that I can remember.
In business school, I can't remember seeing many suits...forget about it...not even on the professors.

Wade

Reaction score
In US business schools, at least on the east coast and among junior faculty, most faculty wear suits.
I think it depends on the professor.
My intro to business prof and my accounting professor wore suit and tie and my econ prof was business casual (if he has a suit jacket on there was never a tie)

That said, unless you have an interview/work/presentation, it makes you look like a pretentious dick going to school everyday in a suit just for the sake of wearing one

I wear them because the way they look on anyone, a perfectly bespoke suit will transform a man into a mentally and visually, powerful and confident person.

The clothes dont make the man.
Just wear what's comfortable to school. I don't know how it is in the UK but in the US no one really cares
My cousin wore sweatpants for the majority of his undergrad years, and now he works at one of the largest law firms in the world

Last edited:

jm722

Reaction score
People who have a lot of money that they earn don't flaunt it. Flaunting money that your parents make and has nothing to do with you is just immature, douchey, and asking to be targeted by others.

Also, most people in law school don't even wear suits to class. One of the big firms I worked for as a summer associate didn't even wear suits. It was mostly shirt and tie.

He's obviously young, naive, arrogant, and want to show off things that he didn't even earn. Let him figure it out himself. It'll be a lonely time in school and law school (which already tends to be)

jt10000

Reaction score
Quote:

You sound like an ass. If you wear suits like a second skin, keep wearing them. That's who you are. Let people know who you are. Flaunt your pens and watches. That's fair warning to them.

jt10000

Reaction score
"I will be required to wear black tie to a formal event next month, so why not get in the swing of it now and wear my tux grocery shopping today?"

I expect to be buried in nice shoes, so I might as well sleep in them now.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In US business schools, at least on the east coast and among junior faculty, most faculty wear suits.
I must have missed all of those professors. Maybe the casual dress is why they're ratemyprofessor ratings were so high.

Last edited:

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
OP, I'm probably wealthier than you.

But I never wore suits every day when I was sixteen.

Do you even chase women?

A noteworthy point to make however, is my friend, who is personally worth 100 mil +, wears polos and jeans to graduate school.

He's also better than you. Peasant.

MisterFu

Reaction score
I must admit, I originally started wearing suits because I had to keep my father's reputation. But now I have a grown to appreciate fine suits. Regardless of whether my dad is a billionaire or homeless, the one thing I hope wouldn't change would be my suits. Maybe I phrase the OP wrong. Maybe I should have said "I WILL be wearing suits to college, could you guys give me some advise as to what people might think"

Thank you

You had to keep your fathers reputation? So your fathers reputation is based on wearing suits?

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Trolls aren't always bad. They can be fun for the whole family.

And if this isn't a troll, he's only a child. In which case he'll make his mistakes and hopefully learn. Or he won't learn and disgrace his family.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trolls aren't always bad. They can be fun for the whole family.

And if this isn't a troll, he's only a child. In which case he'll make his mistakes and hopefully learn. Or he won't learn and further disgrace his family.
...fixed that for you.

gambit50

Reaction score

I expect to be buried in nice shoes, so I might as well sleep in them now.

If you slept in your shoes, you should have no clue as to what the bloody hell happened the night before.
If you know you are going to sleep and wear your shoes, you are just :facepalm:

This thread now has multiple entities divulging very distasteful(to put it mildly) info about their personal situations.
Not that I even believe any or all of it but it is crass for the mentions, true or false.

At least someone should have asked OP for fit pics so that he might be ridiculed or vetted.

Last edited:

Verniza

Reaction score
Vox wore boxers to school to showcase his immense wealth.

Damn plebs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads