• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I wear suits for college?

HarveySpecter

Reaction score
It's Latin, to excel, surpass, exceed or overtake. The point I was trying to make is I'm not trying to make myself superior to anyone.

Allen

Reaction score

Oh and for the record, although the screen name maybe be from some "Douchey Character", It still is a legitimate concern.

I'm not saying it's not. That's why I keep posting on this thread.

Allen, where/when was this? I don't remember anyone ever wearing a suit around in undergrad (US liberal arts univ, 1999-2003)

Well first off I'm from Romania, left law school about 2 years ago. I don't think it's a regional thing, though, I've seen this in french universities too. Maybe it's european. Or, as I said before, it might be law schools, I imagine liberal arts college would be more of a jeans and t-shirt affair.

Allen

Reaction score
I'm familiar with the US law education system. Anyway, it seems to me that there is a big lack of respectful attire in american colleges. Here, at least, few students "dare" to wear shorts(even dressy ones) to class. Some american friends told me that some students go to class in PJ's in the US. It would be unheard of in, I think I'm not exaggerating if I say, the whole of Europe.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Harvey", a bespoke suit is a very fine thing, but wearing a business suit at all times is a very stupid and tacky thing to do. You should spend some time learning how real men dress when they're outside of the office. Here's a clue: they don't wear office-wear.

By the way, "to superare" is grammatical nonsense, since superare is already infinitive and thus it is tautological to prefix a "to" to it. If you're going to deploy Latin words in your writing, then you better get it right. To be honest, your erroneous use of Latin combined with your decision to dress entirely inappropriately (and unstylishly) make you come across as arrogant, ignorant, and pretentious -- a truly horrible personality. Hopefully it is just a function of your youth and immaturity, rather than your inherent personality.

Last edited:

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some american friends told me that some students go to class in PJ's in the US. It would be unheard of in, I think I'm not exaggerating if I say, the whole of Europe.

The UK is in Europe, and people dress very much in the American style (i.e., PJs to class if they feel like it). Although some people dress smartly in tweeds, blazers, shirts, etc., particularly at Oxbridge.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You guys need to remember you're arguing with a 16 year old and/or a troll.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
dbl post

Last edited:

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 to Loathing's comments. "Tacky" is the key word.

Allen

Reaction score

The UK is in Europe, and people dress very much in the American style (i.e., PJs to class if they feel like it). Although some people dress smartly in tweeds, blazers, shirts, etc., particularly at Oxbridge.

Well, I'm not arguing that UK is not in Europe geographically, but it is a different animal from the other european countries.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics