• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I respond to this eBay seller?

Hadrian

Reaction score
To eliminate all equivocation, disclose that the stains in question are urine derived and let the consumer decide from there. If there is nothing to hide, then this should not be a problem.

harryx2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee
Hard to tell who started the ballbreaking but I am leaning 68% toward you. You should have ignored the listing rather than respond with a provocative question. In fact, make that 79%. Time to shut this one down as you are just going to get abuse on this site. Many questions just lead to sarcastic replies intended to insult the poster rather than provide helpful answers and you have walked right into this crossfire, my man.

Oh come on! The seller should have never called Achilles a jackass, he merely sent an email making a remark (very natural, seeing peed pants being sold as excellent) and the seller clearly was waiting for our guy in the corner.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread started off as funny on several levels - a guy selling piss-stained pants; finding a buyer for them; the OP writing him out of the blue; the exchange and the OP being called a jackass; and then the final reveal that there may be an untapped market for piss-stained pants! But it's become deathly serious.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
so Achilles, what is your response?

Seller seems like a nice enough guy and I wish him the best
smile.gif

That being said, we disagree on what the term excellent means. I would rate the pants as unwearable myself and would probably not buy from him since there seems to be such a discrepancy between our views on what condition clothing is in.

Everyone should know I never had the intention of reporting the seller or even causing trouble. I merely was asking if I should respond because it seemed extremely unprofessional and vulgar to come after me after the auction ended. I think what set me off was the cursing.

harryx2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
Seller seems like a nice enough guy and I wish him the best
smile.gif

That being said, we disagree on what the term excellent means. I would rate the pants as unwearable myself and would probably not buy from him since there seems to be such a discrepancy between our views on what condition clothing is in.

Everyone should know I never had the intention of reporting the seller or even causing trouble. I merely was asking if I should respond because it seemed extremely unprofessional and vulgar to come after me after the auction ended. I think what set me off was the cursing.

Word.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_

Can you honestly expect professionalism from a guy sitting on a stockpile of urine-soaking pants?

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harryx2
Oh come on! The seller should have never called Achilles a jackass, he merely sent an email making a remark (very natural, seeing peed pants being sold as excellent) and the seller clearly was waiting for our guy in the corner.

Actually, I missed the "jackass" part and upon further reflection it does seem like the seller was waiting to pounce. I stand corrected and withdraw my observation. I don't think anybody should be selling piss-stained pants in the first place, much less joking about it. And the seller didn't have to add the extra "shot." Touche!

clintonf

Reaction score
I have absolutely no horse in this particular race. However, I do understand what the seller is saying about using terms such as "excellent", "mint", "very good". They mean all things to all people.

Whilst, I do not believe that there is an easy answer to this, I would like eBay to have proper guidelines to descriptions and one of the most "universal" methods (IMO) would be to have a scoring system, out of 10. With 1 being very poor, through to 10 being "new".

I repeat, this will not necessarily stop Sellers from abusing the system. However, it would provide buyers with some sort of quantifiable way of understanding the condition of clothing.

After all, if someone described a pair of trousers as an 8/10 (let's say "excellent" would be the descriptive word for this score), and the buyer got something what could be identified as a 6/10 (let say "good"), then it would be easier to "prove" the descrepancy.

I've purchased several items which have been described as "excellent", or worst still "mint", only for them to have obvious flaws (such as moth holes or tears).

I've also purchased items described as very good which have been like new.

eBay is a very difficult place.

I've been looking a mobile phones on eBay recently and would you believe eBay has a "New" category as well as a "New (other)" category. What is that about?

The amount of listings that use the latter to describe phones that they've been using for weeks or months is amazing and worrying.

So, I think more effort could be put in by eBay with enforceable "rules" for describing items.

Just my tuppence.

Clint

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"mint" is a fair amount more strict than "excellent". Mint is a term commonly reserved for grading quality and it means "without any flaws, as it left the factory ( aka the mint)".

excellent is a colloquial term as well as a grading term and it means almost nothing at all

Reaction score
This thread is so funny. Just one question for the record: if pants stained with pee are in excellent condition, what would you call the same pants never peed in? Perhaps PEErless condition? Or is that peeless condition?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 89826
This thread is so funny. Just one question for the record: if pants stained with pee are in excellent condition, what would you call the same pants never peed in? Perhaps PEErless condition? Or is that peeless condition?

PEErfect condition

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads