• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes I can stand in all day

Hehlol

Reaction score
Ecco are probably the cheapest brand you'll find that will be comfortable.

Regarding money, let's keep in mind that this is your back and your feet we're talking about - your back and feet are worth however much it costs to keep them happy.

tcnjbanker123

Reaction score
Thanks the eccos look like a possibility, while i'd prefer to keep it under two hundred, I understand that it will open up the options some if I go up in budget ad am willing to consider it. I do, through my job, get a minimum of 40% odd Allen Edmond and Johnston and Murphy, so which models will provide the most all day comfort?

painfree

Reaction score
not stylish...but Dansko clogs are 100 bucks and you can stand in them all day. I am a resident and know this from experience.

Best,

Dustin

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AThingForCashmere
Rockport, and a lot of prayer.

rockport. when I was in my early 20's I wore those and had to do a lot of standing and walking.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A pair of RL american made loafers will go for about $170 at the end of the season, they're super comfortable and they look great.

painfree

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
A pair of RL american made loafers will go for about $170 at the end of the season, they're super comfortable and they look great.

do RL made in USA loafers run true to size?

Another option so I don;t completely hijack the thread is to buy yourself a pair of orthotics. They can be expensive, but can effectively make every shoe you own feel custom.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My ECCO choice is this:
http://www.zappos.com/product/7553787/color/12346
My cobbler told me Ecco is not re-soleable. Has anyone ever had their Ecco's resoled?
In respecting your budget, and requirements, here's my input:
Rockports can be re-soled. so this afterlife possibility places Rockport into contention.
I have had mine re-soled for $50 (CDN) with new Vibram soles. No problems at all.
I used to work in sales myself, and I can appreciate Rockport. Ecco & Clarks for the comfort they provide. Of these three makes, my vote goes to Rockport hands down.

My Comparison Chart
Rockport
  • Thin Leather upper (not for sub-zero temperatures unless you wear thick sock)
  • Vibram sole (many newer models no longer use the Vibram sole)
  • Removable cloth top foamy rubber insole
  • Fits true to size
  • Re-Soleable - YES
ECCO
  • Leather upper (noticeably thicker than Rockport)
  • Proprietary rubber sole
  • Removable sole on some models but not all - check before buying
  • The ones with removeable soles are leather top over a comfy spongy rubber insole
  • Fits true to size
  • Re-Soleable - I am told no ...unless anyone has done it?
Clarks
  • Same list as ECCO ^

*Note:
Get a half size larger or wider for best comfort (and to accomodate thicker socks if needed)
I am a 10.5D and will either go 11D or 10.5E (wide) for a touch extra wiggle room,
but this is purely my own preference. I like roomy shoes.

ss10guy3

Reaction score
Eccos are good comfort shoes. I wore them for that miserable semester when I worked retail. These days I'm a big fan of Quoddy's, but they might be pushing your budget.

SuMisura

Reaction score
+1 for Ecco shoes. They are for the most part extremely comfortable and you can find nice looking business-type models.

However, IMO, they are not comparable in durability and quality to a good-year-welted shoe. The leather is softer and wrinkles quickly, and the inside of the shoes gets torn after a while.

But then the price tag isn't the same either, and I think Ecco may have the upper hand in comfort unless you find the exact right last and model for you.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tcnjbanker123
I recently began working as a clothing salesman, and it is part of my job to be standing all day, sometimes as long as 10 hours. As a college student, I don't have a huge budget, but I'd like to find a pair of shoes that are comfortable enough too stand in all day with too much pain so my question is what are some options? (I will be wearing the shoes with trousers)

Thanks in advance

no perfect brand,
trial and error, all feet different.
Must know you feet, good feet.
Some shoe fit good and some bad,
No easy answer.
Good luck.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Sorry, but if your price range is $100, your feet are going to hurt all day no matter what you buy.

Bull SH*T. The worst shoes I own currently are Allen Edmonds but I find them no more comfortable than the $100 shoes I wore in my younger days like Browns, J & M and Ecco. The big difference is my higher price shoes last for years and years (of course I know about rotation now and I have dozen pairs) and my cheap glue jobs would get me about a year of wear or less.

Having said all that I would find two pairs of Allen Edmonds (you can get them for $200 the Tony the Tailor right now) or find them on sale off ebay etc for cheaper for seconds and rotate them.

Still if budget does not allow I would look at ecco's

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
It's not a question of superlativeness. The guy is a clothing salesman; depending on where he works, he cannot be caught in a suit and Eccos and expect to be taken seriously. In my experience, leather-soled shoes for <$100 use thinner matierals and fewer layers in their construction which renders them much less comfortable over long periods of time. Simple as that.

He needs to combine form with function, not sacrifice one to the other.

Where I live there may be less then 5% of clothing sales job that wearing SF aproved shoes would matter. These days most clothes stores sell disposable clothes and any commonn fugly shoe would do for a clothing salesman

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think what it comes down to is very few people are used to wearing proper shoes. Most people wear sneakers all of the time and want dress shoes to feel squishy like rubber cement, when sneakers are actually not good for the support of your foot. Your feet are actually made to walk on hard surfaces and proper shoes should give you a sturdy bottom and support where you need it. I say get used to it. I havn't worn anything other than leather soled shoes for probably 15 years and I have absolutely no issue walking around new york all day on a saturday or sunday in properly constructed shoes. There is a reason why classic shoe construction has stood the test of time.

As to your budget, look for goodyear welted florisheims, or jonhston and murphy's. You can get cheap goodyear welted shoes from these companies, sure you won't get all of the benefits of higher end brands, but when I was in college my jonhston and murphy's served me well, and through resolings and such. Now my father wears them when he needs to wear a suit on a rare occasions.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads