• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoemaking Techniques and Traditions--"...these foolish things..."

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Of course you wouldn't recognize any obligation on your part (and it was foolish of me to expect it).

But it only underscores my contention that you seek out confrontation with me. Because that's what the "tacit agreement" was really all about--avoiding these mind-numbing arguments that you appear to look for. I committed to not post in your thread because I have a distaste for that kind of trolling--looking for opportunities to contradict or second-guess issues that they don't really know anything about.

[parenthetically, I did shoe repair for years...me, I did it with my own hands. I know something about it. To a very real extent, the same kind of depth of experience is singularly missing in all the posts you make...nevermind the ones about shoemaking.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm perfectly willing to be civil with you. Let's just stick to shoes.

That's all anyone could ask.

But presumably we've both made that kind of commitment a dozen, no a hundred times, before (I know I have) and it always degenerates...and always in threads where I have direct, specific, personal experience...into wrangling.

In this thread and several others, past history has shown that I can be posting along for days without any trouble and then I see in the "who's online" stats that you're reading my posts. And sure enough, in you come with a "but" or a "no, it's not."

In order for civility to work, you, personally, have to commit to staying out of discussions where you have no first hand, hands-on experience. To talk only about things you do have experience with...such as managing a business and employees.

I don't like talking about shoe repair, frankly, because even at the best shops there is always an attitude of "Damn what the shoemaker intended, we'll "cobble" it together and call it golden." There's always more respect for the hacks and the kludges than the original code. That's why I'm perfectly happy to stay out of your thread.

Given your personal hands on experiences, I think it is fair to say...at least from my perspective...that you don't know anything about shoemaking (and little enough about the other), I don't understand why you want to expose yourself and your ignorance.

But, hey, once more into the breach... We'll see.

Threeputt

Reaction score
I just had a fantastic experience at Carreducker's 2 week Intensive Shoemaking Course in London. Deborah Carre and James Ducker have built a business on the right things. Besides making gorgeous shoes (bespoke and some RTW), they obviously enjoy sharing their knowledge and teaching newbies like me the proper way to make a pair hand-welted shoes. Beautiful people with a beautiful business who care about the traditions. And I hope these traditions carry on. For anyone serious about the art of shoemaking, I can't recommend this course enough.

I know links may not appreciated here, but I thought it easier than posting 29 pics... Check it out. Rough compared to the Appreciation we typically see around here, but hey, they're mine made with my own hands! And fit better than any RTW's I've bought in the past...

http://imgur.com/a/VsmH3

Lastly, having appreciated DWFII's colorful opinions (ahem) over the years, I can honestly say, I finally get it. It is a tradition worth preserving. And the utter accountability a single maker has to the final product is a beautiful thing... Thanks DWFII.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Lastly, having appreciated DWFII's colorful opinions (ahem) over the years, I can honestly say, I finally get it. It is a tradition worth preserving. And the utter accountability a single maker has to the final product is a beautiful thing... Thanks DWFII.

:cheers:

Yr. Hmb.Svt.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
PS...your Imgur posts were slow loading...nothing wrong with those shoes. Better than my first pair.

ygtyf

Reaction score
Very informative thread. Thanks for all 125 pages of discussions.
Inspired by this thread and after watching the youtube video series of How to Make a Shoe by Hand by Andrew Wrigley, and some other videos by Marcell Mrsan, I decided to save one pair of my old shoes from the cracking rubber soles, by converting them from cemented construction to hand welt. This is how they look like after 2 weekends of work.

IMG_6533.png

Notch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for some help here.

What is the technical name of the compound used in this screenshot, and where can it be bought?

It is a screenshot from the Edward Green film, where you see a worker taking a tan coloured shoe, and transforming it into a rich shade of medium brown / cognac with the use of some sort of finishing cream.

Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 09.58.46.png

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looking for some help here.

What is the technical name of the compound used in this screenshot, and where can it be bought?

It is a screenshot from the Edward Green film, where you see a worker taking a tan coloured shoe, and transforming it into a rich shade of medium brown / cognac with the use of some sort of finishing cream.

View attachment 890872

Dunno the technical name (or if one even exists). A reliable source tells me that it is made specifically for Green and, it's very unlikely that it can be purchased to be used privately.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Best guess is that it is an "antiquing" compound. Prime Leather Finishes in the US makes several different formulations.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@Nick V. : thanks for your reply!

The thing is, a very similar product is shown in the C&J production video:

View attachment 890995

A friend of mine does lot's of custom coloring for Loding in Toronto.
Here is a link that will give you an idea of the scope of His work.
https://maisonpatina.ca/
He tells me that He uses Saphir dye and, cream, sometimes wax. I can tell you from my experience that if the project is done correctly it will be permanent. I see you are from Belgium. It shouldn't be to difficult to source those products for you.
I have a message in to C&J but won't hear back from them until at least tomorrow. Let's see what they say......

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads