• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It looks a lot like elephant... But given that it's one of Jan Petter's and coming from where it's coming...I'm hesitant to say elephant.

I believe, it is elephant ear (the inside of the ear) which I remember Jan Petter using previously.

As far as I know, elephant ear (never seen it in real life) has a finer texture (but still that distinctive grain) than the leather from the main body of the animal, which might not be ideal for elegant town shoes:

http://www.rojeleather.com/species-and-leathers/elephant-leather/

Judging by the colour of this particular ear leather sample and the colour of the shoes, who knows, maybe J P Myhre has acquired that particular piece in the photograph.

Last edited:

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_3791.jpg
Very nice! The loafers look super comfortable! Which models are they?

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hmmm that grain still looks bigger than the shoe...must be some type of imprint.

The elephant in the link provided by Bengal Stripe is the more traditional Elephant body skin.

Virchow

Reaction score
It looks a lot like elephant...and if someone showed me that leather in another context that would be my first guess. But given that it's one of Jan Petter's and coming from where it's coming...I'm hesitant to say elephant. Maybe walrus or beavertail?
Is beaver tail really used for shoemaking? That would be a sight to see!

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Is beaver tail really used for shoemaking? That would be a sight to see!

We used to see a few boots coming out of Canada ever now and again.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Who cares how many shoes someone has...what matters is the quality and if they make you look forward to putting them on. There's a lot of technical shoe speak on SF mostly from guys who sell and collect shoes but there's no way I would ever want to get so deep into shoes of all things.

It used to be the same way with me for high end audio....listening to audio heads go on and on about transparency, low end weight and midrange liquidity and always upgrading components till one day I just got myself a cool set and no longer feel the need to buy more equipment...just enjoy what I have.

Well did you get to Wilson Audio? Cause that watt / puppy combo is unbeatable and you for sure wouldn't feel any more need to buy more equipment

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Made by Jan Petter Myhre of Norway. Not a pair of mine, but I want to play a game: who can guess the grainy leather's origin?
Derby+Calf&Elephant.jpg

Its that Caucausian mountain sheep isn't it? They find them in the high Caucasus.

Can't beliee it's elephant...too fine.

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bengal Stripe is undoubtedly correct--it's elephant ear. Ear has little or none of the rectilinear markings that characterize side panels. Trunk is even more heavily marked.

Fiddler

Reaction score
Its that Caucausian mountain sheep isn't it? They find them in the high Caucasus.
Can't beliee it's elephant...too fine.

I once saw a poor fellow with elephantiasis....the skin on his swollen feet looked exactly like that....I hope it is not elephantiasis leather.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The file is named: Derby Calf&Elephant.jpg.

:lurk:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The leather is indeed elephant hide, Stirling is the man of the hour. I hadn't previously seen this stuff used in shoemaking. [COLOR=FF0000]It has a texture that one won't easily forget.[/COLOR]

It's also one of the most, if not the most, scuff resistant leathers known.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads