• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The one problem I have with all the shoes from that period (mid 50s to late 60s; I do not believe any are older than that) ...

What makes you think this? First, it's nearly impossible to tell the age of shoes without seeing the soles, heels, size/model info written inside & and footbed.

The Florsheims have the old "custom grade" footbed stamp, as well as a spade sole. Couldn't be newer than 1940's.

The shape of the sole indicates 30's.

The Stan Wests have the original Corrective Heel that was used in the 1940's.

The 40's Specs also have the classic 1940's spade sole.

Foot Joy only used that particular heel up to the 1940's.

Could my dating be off? Sure. All I have to go off is a few other vintage shoe collectors I share notes with, a folder with maybe 500- 1000 vintage shoe ads, and personal experience with over 300 pairs of vintage shoes as well as maybe 2000 pics I have collected.

Whatever. Doesn't really matter, as I have nothing to prove & am just having fun. DEAD SERIOUS about that one!

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In a effort to get this back on track:

AS Handgrade Milton in museum calf. Click pics for larger.

As a fan of antiquing, I really like the finish on these. Definitely NOT subtle, but very well done, i think. If only they had a storm welt & a triple sole (old habits die hard)...

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't mind the pics of vintage shoes personally. Certainly better than the fugly norvegese monstrosities that used to populate this thread and drove the regulars away.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I am with Nore. I have no interest in most of these shoes. A '64 Impala wasn't a good car in '64 and it is nothing more than a curio today. Most of the shoes iss posts aren't particularly attractive and today they are primarily props. Not to say they are all bad--but none make me want to wear something worn by someone else and dug from a dusty closet. That said, people here seem to like them and there are forum tools that allow you to eliminate most of those pics from view.

WTF? Are you now the forum police for this thread? Back on your mat bro'!

The one problem I have with all the shoes from that period (mid 50s to late 60s; I do not believe any are older than that) is the
extremely low vamp point.
Combine a low and long sweeping top-line (giving lots of sock cleavage) with an extended throat and you haven't got much space for the vamp, resulting in a low vamp point. (Always reminding me in it's proportions of the long torso and the short legs of a zoot suit or hip-hop pants.)

What makes you think this? First, it's nearly impossible to tell the age of shoes without seeing the soles, heels, size/model info written inside & and footbed.
The Florsheims have the old "custom grade" footbed stamp, as well as a spade sole. Couldn't be newer than 1940's.
The shape of the sole indicates 30's.
The Stan Wests have the original Corrective Heel that was used in the 1940's.
The 40's Specs also have the classic 1940's spade sole.
Foot Joy only used that particular heel up to the 1940's.
Could my dating be off? Sure. All I have to go off is a few other vintage shoe collectors I share notes with, a folder with maybe 500- 1000 vintage shoe ads, and personal experience with over 300 pairs of vintage shoes as well as maybe 2000 pics I have collected.
Whatever. Doesn't really matter, as I have nothing to prove & am just having fun. DEAD SERIOUS about that one!

The one problem I have with all the shoes from that period (mid 50s to late 60s; I do not believe any are older than that)

Are you serious or just joining the good kicking?

Last edited:

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Are you serious or just joining the good kicking?

Yes, I'm serious about that. The late 20s and 30s were probably the highpoint of shoemaking (bespoke and industrial) when the prevailing look was slim and long. 3 sizes (1" or 2.5cm) was considered the correct toe allowance. (This is more than any shoe/last maker is likely to consider today.)

4390701161_3a4db16f1a_z.jpg

The fashion for short shoes might have started in the 1940s with rationing and utility prescriptions (I don't know, did they ever have those detailed prescriptions in the States?) and reached it's apogee in the 50s. From the late 50s - early 60s on, the mood changed (among the young) in favour of either sleek Italian shoes or very pointed 'winkle pickers' and a few 'brothel creepers' throw in for variety.

Nobody kicks here anybody. We leave the kicking to the members of FNB.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, I'm serious about that. The late 20s and 30s were probably the highpoint of shoemaking (bespoke and industrial) when the prevailing look was slim and long. 3 sizes (1" or 2.5cm) was considered the correct toe allowance. (This is more than any shoe/last maker is likely to consider today.)
4390701161_3a4db16f1a_z.jpg
The fashion for short shoes might have started in the 1940s with rationing and utility prescriptions (I don't know, did they ever have those detailed prescriptions in the States?) and reached it's apogee in the 50s. From the late 50s - early 60s on, the mood changed (among the young) in favour of either sleek Italian shoes or very pointed 'winkle pickers' and a few 'brothel creepers' throw in for variety.
Nobody kicks here anybody. We leave the kicking to the members of FNB.

you need to explore the vintage ads more, as US shoemakers offered literally hundreds of styles every season. The 1937 Mens' winter Weyenberg catalog offered over 120 different variations of wingtips and captoes ALONE. Each model was offered from a short, square toe to a long spade sole.

You generalize too much in terms of the offerings. In the UK, the effect of WWII was the cc41 rationing, etc... an effect of having to rebuild from major damage. In the US, more flamboyant and tougher styles became the vogue... as we were feeling very good about having saved the world. The spades became more pronounced.

I know you are a knowledgeable shoe-man (as i enjoy your posts, which have some very good stuff), but maybe you're not all that well-versed in US vintage shoes? Just as I am always learning something about construction (DWFII, Son of Saphir & others) and modern top brands, maybe you could learn thing or two about US vintage (as you are located in the UK & possibly don't have access to hundreds of pairs of US vintage shoes from the 20's-50's). If that's the case, it's not a criticism and not a bad thing either.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In a effort to get this back on track:

AS Handgrade Milton in museum calf. Click pics for larger.

I'm not a fan of the brouging on these, but otherwise I think they are good looking shoes.

-LR

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not a fan of the brouging on these, but otherwise I think they are good looking shoes.
-LR

just noticed that, and it is definitely out of the ordinary. However, for a wholecut, i think it adds character. Looks like Rollie Fingers' mustache.

andrewgreg

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads