• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry maybe it's me but I can't feel the love for the AS Miller.

atia2

Reaction score
Just got these from New & Lingwood on Jermyn Street. I have a low arch and low instep and usually have problems with completely closed quarters and too much room in the vamp. So I was pleasantly surprised to happen across a shoe that fit me perfectly. I would have preferred a darker brown or black but with my odd-shaped foot I couldn't decline a shoe that fits so well.

I was wondering if anyone could identify the maker? The salesman advised me these were actually from the Poulsen Skone range even though - for reasons which were left unclear - the heel cushion is stamped N&L.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a pair of Poulsen Skone for Dunhill which is also N&L and they are actuaslly BG C&J.

Those have that round size decal in there on the shoe wall that is probably Grenson or maybe EG?

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sole pattern and writing inside makes me think Grenson Masterpiece. If so, excellent quality.

atia2

Reaction score
Many thanks, Grenson appears to check out here.

(Is it poor etiquette to link to a thread on another forum? Apologies if so.)

I must say the most spectacular items in N&L today were the Poulsen Skone apron-stitched chukka boots in beige grain. They're also on the N&L website (link) but the photos there don't do them justice: they were quite stunning in the flesh. The soles, not shown on the website, were fiddled, painted, and had a solitary triangle of nails in the heel. The apron stitching seemed to me exquisite.

Sadly they didn't have my size so I couldn't try them on!

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Can any of the french speaking members tell me if this loafer is GY-welted, or how it is constructed?

http://www.manfield.fr/MOCASSIN/4588883.html

crante means knotched. So the rubber sole is attached to the leather by knotching? I suspect it means the rubber is sewn (knotched) onto the leather inner sole rather than just being glued on. Just my surmise.

The sole pattern and writing inside makes me think Grenson Masterpiece. If so, excellent quality.

This - along with that swan neck detailing around the vamp also favoured by EG. Masterpiece is regarded as slightly superior to EG quality so far ahead of C&J = the normal Poulsen sub-out maker.

In fact they look just like a Masterpiece pair I had from Paul Stuart some years ago.

Last edited:

atia2

Reaction score
I think GMP is close to EG but I do think EG has the edge IMO. I wish GMP was better, my 401K would be better if they were.
smile.gif
I don't own any Edward Green shoes but, having tried some on in the London store, I'd have to agree that they have a slight edge on my new Grensons. I think the finishing on EG and Lobb is finer and more accurate. For example, you can see in my photos above that the sole painting is not a deep, lustrous black and has gone over the marked line at the bottom. Similarly the way the heel is closed with a small fold of leather is not the most attractive method:

Small details, but they make a difference. I also have some new Cleverley shoes (non-bespoke) which I would place a little above these in terms of finish, particularly in terms of the richness of colour and antiquing of the leather. However, they don't fit me anywhere near as well!

However, the Poulsen Skone Grensons seem to be very fine shoes and I am pleased with the purchase.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SHS - Manfield is worse than Cole Haan. I'm not sure if you like the brand, the fit, or whatever, but I've been floored by how bad it is when I was looking at them.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
SHS - Manfield is worse than Cole Haan. I'm not sure if you like the brand, the fit, or whatever, but I've been floored by how bad it is when I was looking at them.

Also, the link doesn't specify how they're made, it just says "stitched". But that doesn't really mean anything - what looks like a welt might be fake stitching for decoration with a glued sole - something I've seen a lot with "fashion" brands.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads