• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt collars above jacket lapels

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the objective is to impress chicks, perhaps OP will have more useful feedback asking in ladies forum eg vogue etc.

Suit of Nettles

Reaction score
I think it looks neat

It's not only a ridiculous cliché in menswear, it's also explicitly effeminate now. The only people you'll see dong this in the last several decades -- on and off -- are young professional women in an environment where male colleagues would be wearing conservative suits.

Now, political sensitivities aside, what the above picture does is make you look like a flat-chested woman. If that will effectively endear you to others, go for it, but you'll find little support from us, just as we'd advise you against wearing a bra or coordinating your pocket-square with lipstick and nail polish. You are, of course, 'entitled' to make use of any or all of these things at your own good pleasure.

Last edited:

MisterFu

Reaction score
what the above picture does is make you look like a flat-chested woman.
If that will effectively endear you to others, go for it, but you'll find little support from us, just as we'd advise you against wearing a bra or coordinating your pocket-square with lipstick and nail polish. You are, of course, 'entitled' to make use of any or all of these things at your own good pleasure.

It's not only a ridiculous cliché in menswear, it's also explicitly effeminate now. The only people you'll see dong this in the last several decades -- on and off -- are young professional women in an environment where male colleagues would be wearing conservative suits.

Now, political sensitivities aside,

Whoa... that may be the harshest thing I've read on SF.

Suit of Nettles

Reaction score
If so, I can only apologies; it wasn't intended as such. Collar-on-lapels really is 'a thing' in women's fashion; how current a thing, I really can't say, but it's been in much more recently than the 70s, or so the lady of the house informs me.

To be clear, I'm not saying that guy himself is effeminate; only that this particular decision is more proper to women's fashion than men's.

I also think, given that he's openly and repeatedly declared that he considers all Chinese women, and possibly all Asian women, to be braindead, status-grubbing, brand-fixated, gold-digging whores (in so many words), that I don't think I need to account for much delicacy of sentiment where he's concerned. Fair play?

To return to the point at hand, while from a certain, ill-informed perspective this look might be said to 'enhance the shoulders' in some ridiculous way, much the way that a jacket with extremely wide, heavily-padded, massively rope shoulders might, the reality is that it in fact makes the wear's face look small and dainty in proportion to the body. This, too, is more proper to the conventions of female fashion than male fashion. "Not that there's anything wrong with that--" On the contrary, he can do as he pleases, and many men have made much romantic hay out of women (and men, and the gender indeterminate) who admire effeminacy or androgyny in their men. However, he seems to insist that the is a good look for his published heterosexual intentions, and I think every part of that statement is highly dubious.

Is he trolling? Maybe so: personally, if he is, I'd encourage him to keep it up. We were having great fun in his previous thread, and now he's taken this one to new and delightful places.

Last edited:

Erichmax

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
How about if I wear this style to Asia. If you've seen those Asian models and celebrities, being effeminate is the way to go. Here are some examples:

So maybe the collar over lapel look will allow me to fit right in?

Mr Rainy

Reaction score
I don't see the collar-over-lapel look in those pictures. Coming from Europe that is pretty standard youth clothing here, minus the hair styles though.

When talking of the collar-over-lapel look then you must consider the fact that even old-school Russian gangsters(The fake Adidas guys) think that look is horrible and to be mocked and laughed at. I'm not old enough to be from the 70s so I am asking: Did that look even work for the ladies of that time or do the old tv series/movies parody the sleezeball look?

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, a horrible sin. It's not as if Agnelli did it all the time. Or Luca di Montezemolo.

Erichmax

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ok, I am convinced. I think I will change it to Blazer with pink dress shirt and jeans instead.

Erichmax

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yes, and I must be the dork with the highest notch count. Collar over lapel is ALPHA ;)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads