• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shaving leading to my acne?

fortune

Reaction score
For the past 3 years (I'm 17) I've had some wicked acne. It's always been there but at times it's been worse than others. I've gotten really fed up with it and the fact that none of the 3 step or any other acne remover has really even worked as it's said it would. But I've noticed that if I shave one night, the next morning i'll have broken out slightly or wickedly. But as soon as I go like 3-5 days w/o shaving as I've done right now, it's actually not all that bad. just a few white heads here and there. My mom said it might be because shaving. I use an electric razor being as I don't want to cut the zits open with a non-electric and can't get rid of them long enough to use it. But could I be having such annoying acne due to an electric razor? Right now it's one my dad has. Some blue one with a straight bar. No 3 heads or anything fancy. Would upgrading to a better shaver do something more or should I try something like Accutane? 'Cause I really want to. One of my friends took it back in 7th grade when she had severe acne and she hasn't had a zit since.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It could be ingrown hairs. www.tendskin.com is the solution if this is indeed the problem. It's like aftershave in that it's got alcohol and stings a bit, but it should clear up the problem. It sounds like what you have may not actually be acne. Do the bumps come only where you shave, or all over your face?

fg0d

Reaction score
Don't take Accutane for shaving breakouts, only if you have acne normally. I would suggest an electric Norelco-like shaver, cause those don't get as close. Personally, I use electric shavers (but not in Mustache March), and I don't break out at all, and I have acne. I'll be starting Accutane next week probably. Acne.org has a lot of info on it, check it out. In the end, I wouldn't reccomend accutane for shaving breakouts. Make sure the razor is thoroughly cleaned, and getting your hair hot before shaving helps, it makes the hairs soft.

Jl24

Reaction score
You may want to try some aftershave or post-shave repair stuff with salicyic (sp?) acid in it. It sounds like the shaving is irritating your skin too much, causing breakouts. Are you applying an aftershave? If not, you may be drying out your skin too much after shaving --> body produces more oil --> more acne.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It could be due to bacteria on the razor. You don't make it clear whether this problem is associated with reusing the same razor without cleaning it.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
can you go w/stubble or a beard?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I used to use an electric, and I would get ingrown hairs that would turn into whiteheads. Here's what I recommend:

Sometime over a school break or weekend, go a few days without shaving to let your skin calm down. Get yourself your own razors - the Sensor type (2 blades) are pretty good and not too expensive. You don't want to use someone else's razor or electric shaver, as it can introduce bacteria into your skin. Get some Aveeno oatmeal shave gel, it's the best I've found for sensitive skin. And get some Cetaphil lotion to put on afterwards (derms recommend this stuff, it's very gentle). Scrub/soak your beard with a very warm/hot washcloth until it's softened up, then shave, rinse and use the lotion after. Give it a couple days and see what happens.

Shaving generally helps acne, because it scrapes away the layer of dirt and dead skin on the surface of your face that helps clog up your pores and cause zits. So with a good shaving regimen you should actually be clearer.

victory

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
It could be due to bacteria on the razor. You don't make it clear whether this problem is associated with reusing the same razor without cleaning it.
I agree it could be due to bacteria on the razor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads