• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sharpened Metal, and other Every Day Carry Items

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by delirium
what are the folding scissors?

looks pretty cool
thumbs-up.gif

Exactly that - folding scissors. It used to be a weird obsession stemming from an old pair of slip-n-snips my grandfather gave me a long time ago. I have like 40 pair of different kind. I'll post some cool ones up....

anyone who doesnt have a pair of slip-n-snips, hop on eBay and due yourselves a favor and spend the best 8 bucks i can think of. US made, indestructible. Will use them more than you could imagine. Bathroom/nightstand/key chain..

I suggest the black tacticals
cool.gif
In either normal or needlepoint. And you can also get it in chrome. And chrome with black handles. Good cheap gift too...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Slip-N-Snip-Tact...item2a0bb3950d

afterglow

Reaction score
My EDC is usually a Spyderco Sage 2:
spyderco-knives-sage-2-c123ti-lock-knife-titanium-handle-2664-p.jpg

Titanium scales, S30V steel, simple, elegant.

Or I carry an Emerson LaGriffe:
LAGRIFFE.jpg

BryanHarig

Reaction score
I like my LaGriffe, but it is very hard to use it for any 'every day' task without people thinking you are some kind of crazed murderer!
smile.gif

afterglow

Reaction score
I've never used my LaGriffe to cut anything.....and I hope I never have to. I never show it off so hopefully I don't have the "crazed murderer" tag yet.....

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Img1740.jpg

Nagao Higonokami

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackfyre
Used to EDC a BM 42 bali. I lost it to my extreme sadness, since its discontinued. Looking forward to getting a karambit. Mulling over fixed or folding.
I don't carry my 42. I do carry a Desperina karambit on a regular basis though. It's a wicked blade that does require some training to use correctly. Typical EDC for me would be a knife of some kind, one of my Surefires and a concealed handgun or blackjack. I setup different trick bags depending on what I'm doing too.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coldarchon
Img1740.jpg

Nagao Higonokami

that looks awesome.

I want a Hattori Hanzo.

Blackfyre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
I don't carry my 42. I do carry a Desperina karambit on a regular basis though. It's a wicked blade that does require some training to use correctly. Typical EDC for me would be a knife of some kind, one of my Surefires and a concealed handgun or blackjack. I setup different trick bags depending on what I'm doing too.
do you still have your 42? and whats your thoughts between fixed and folding karambit?

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackfyre
do you still have your 42? and whats your thoughts between fixed and folding karambit?

Yes I do along with the the matching trainer.

The folder is not as strong as a fixed blade and only one edge can be sharpened. It's also nearly impossible to deploy it using a reverse grip. On the plus side it's easier to carry versus a fixed blade and you can carry it in jurisdictions that do not allow concealed carry/open carry of a fixed blade.

Here's Derespina's karambits. I have the model 10.

http://www.derespinaknives.com/knife_models

Graham knives makes something called a ringed razel. It's not a karambit but many of the tactics/moves you would use with a karambit work with this knife. It's a very different kind of blade but once you use one the funky geometry and blade design makes sense.

http://www.grahamknives.com/ringed_razel_ss3.htm

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a really, really nice and affordable EDC pen from CountyComm as seen here. The pen is unbranded aside from a USA stamp and a CAGE code. You'll see CountyComm also sells this same pen in black. However, the steel version is triple the weight. This more than justifies the additional 10 dollars or so. I do have both and can attest the steel is totally awesome....to just hold. I haven't written with it yet. This is allowed on planes and in secure buildings but is also heavy and substantial enough to be used a defensive or "tactical" device should be you ever find yourself in a pinch with nothing but your two girly fists. As they state in their modest & honest descriptions, this pen is comparable (easily) to a pen that retails for triple this MSRP. Support CountyComm. Check them out. A lot of fun products, just dig through the site. so...some pen pr0n.
0853c93d.jpg
9054d425.jpg
ink cartigages/refills are readily available through (ink refill) manufacturer, Fischer, and countycomm direct.

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
Anyone have any impressions on these? I have a $20 certificate from Williams Sonoma that I have to spend by the end of the month.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...ives|cutchfchf
img90m.jpg

I cant find out if the Higo Nokami flips open at the flick of the wrist.

I got the shun for my birthday this year. it's a VERY nice knife but unless you're a collector, it's not very useful. It's too long to be an EDC and to slim to be a weekend warrior. that said, i love having it as it is BEAUTIFUL. If you know how to handle an knife it's damn near automatic in its response, but the lever will work a pocket pretty hard and the locking mechanism is not friendly to those new to the knife world.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads