• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Semi-formal Evening Wear

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I would interpret it as a non-businesslike suit and shirt combo, probably with a tie but I'm sure many will be tieless and survive the evening without the smallest bit of humiliation.

penguin vic

Reaction score
The 'modern' take on dress codes causes more confusion than it solves.

Hazarding a guess as a fellow Melburnian, I'd say it just means don't wear jeans. Depends a bit on what your workplace is like I guess. If the workplace is in suit and tie everyday the interpretation of semi-formal would be quite different to a workplace that is more casual.

I'd tend to go with a suit and tie if an invitation said 'semi-formal'.

A party's a party though and while I reckon you'll see a wide of dress code interpretations, none of them will spoil anyone's night.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This used to mean black tie or black tie equivilant but now a days one can never be too sure, I think a lot of people go with a nice suit not bisnuess style and a white shirt and solid tie you can go with a tux if you like I would but that is just me, you may even see a few there but the majority will be in suits.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here's what I wore to a bondage nightclub:

banquette1.jpg

Ringo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing

banquette1.jpg

Interesting look there. Not sure how I feel about the combo of what appears to a crooked bow tie, the "loud" banana peel style PS, and the somewhat effeminate pose. Did you at least get lucky at the club?

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

banquette1.jpg

The cocktail in the platic cup kind of ruins the aesthetic of the photo.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's very classic. I think sartorialists like Manton would approve.
Minus the exploding pocket square (which I do like) I think the outfit is quite classic.

I'm talking about the corset-like fit, awkwardly stiff pose and the fact that you bothered to mention that you were in a bondage club.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
Minus the exploding pocket square (which I do like) I think the outfit is quite classic.

I'm talking about the corset-like fit, awkwardly stiff pose and the fact that you bothered to mention that you were in a bondage club.

I like my double-breasted things cut tight on the waist so as to pull slightly.

Krawczak

Reaction score
If there's going to be clarification on the next announcement, it's a moot point - however, if I hadn't gotten clarification, I would have definitely gone with black tie. Two reasons: First, how often do you get to wear black tie? And second, if there's anything funnier than making people angry simply by wearing certain clothes, it's doing so while remaining strictly correct.

DouggiePhresh

Reaction score
if semi-formal means black tie, then what is formal? white tie? because i recieved an invitation to a "formal" wedding, on engraved invitations. cocktails starts at 6pm. But when I asked the host for clarification, I was told Black suit. And so far, everyone I have asked about the ceremony says they are wearing suits.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DouggiePhresh
if semi-formal means black tie, then what is formal? white tie? because i recieved an invitation to a "formal" wedding, on engraved invitations. cocktails starts at 6pm. But when I asked the host for clarification, I was told Black suit. And so far, everyone I have asked about the ceremony says they are wearing suits.

Formal evening dress is white tie so the host is misusing the term.

If your host expects black suits and everyone you've asked is wearing a suit, then there's your answer, a dark suit. You might consider wearing a tuxedo but I get the impression that black tie is de facto reserved for the wedding party.

Do post some pics of your selection and your date
mwink[1].gif
. I love weddings!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads