• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

school me on linen shirts

bichimpaid

Reaction score
Alright, what do linen shirts go with? What I have in mind is a white linen shirt (long or short) sleeve, khaki dress pants, and dark brown (cognac) and bone (light tan) gators.

Will this outfit work? How can I make it better?

jett

Reaction score
I don't know much about the matching side of things. I wear short-sleeved linen shirts with khakis on occasion and think it generally looks good, I'm a fashion noob though so maybe it's some terrible faux pas.

The biggest issue I've noticed is that light colored linens seem to really show wrinkles under full lighting so you have to be careful about that.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bichimpaid
Alright, what do linen shirts go with?
Suits, sportcoats, trousers and shorts in linen, cotton, tropical wool and seersucker.

What I have in mind is a white linen shirt (long or short) sleeve, khaki dress pants, and dark brown (cognac) and bone (light tan) gators.

Will this outfit work?

Sure.

How can I make it better?

Add a Panama hat, ascot and spectators.
wink.gif

duke01049cq.jpg

wwallace1

Reaction score
where is a good place (internet) to buy linen shirts for a good price ($20) range.

my friends make fun of me all the time, but the best place to buy stuff and great name brand stuff is ebay, just make sure the person your buying from has great feedback!

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Pretty much the only place online that you're going to find shirts worth having for $20 is ebay.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
H & M and Zara often carry linen shirts. Be aware that you get what you pay for, and when you buy a cheap linen shirt, you really have to baby it: wash in cold, hang dry, hand iron; then expect it to begin to disintegrate after the 3rd wearing or so.

jett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian
H & M and Zara often carry linen shirts. Be aware that you get what you pay for, and when you buy a cheap linen shirt, you really have to baby it: wash in cold, hang dry, hand iron; then expect it to begin to disintegrate after the 3rd wearing or so.

Maybe I have different standards, but I have a few cheap linen shirts (under $30 each) that aren't showing any sign of wear despite not being babied at all. Linen seems fairly durable in my experience.

yoyo

Reaction score
My memory was that linen can take hotter temperature well, just that agitation while washing is harder on it. Perhaps someone knows for sure.

Stax

Reaction score
gin, tonic and a lime wedge go great with linen shirts.
teacha.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've gotten decent wear out of my Express linen shirt that I've washed probably ~15 times by now. I got it at Marshalls for about $15, but I think it was like $40 originally or so.

Todd

Reaction score
Alright, what do linen shirts go with? What I have in mind is a white linen shirt (long or short) sleeve, khaki dress pants, and dark brown (cognac) and bone (light tan) gators.

Will this outfit work? How can I make it better?

It goes well w / linen pants.

I am not being a smartass, linen has a distinct texture and I think it looks best when paired with linen slacks.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Personally I think linen and more linen looks a bit odd, but that's just me. I like linen with jeans, tropical wool, smooth cotton, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads