• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Savile Row: the cheapest?

G

Griffindork

Originally Posted by andreyb2
Sorry for being a pedant, but I believe that even technically speaking agjiffy is not correct.

Maybe it wasn't clear, but I used the word "technically" to signify that their address isn't on Savile Row.
A

JakeLA

Reaction score
Looking at some old newspaper articles and ads I see that in 1975 you could get a suit at A&S for $300 - $400, which was about the same price Brooks Bros. charged for MTM at the time. So when people go on about how "if you have to ask, you can't afford it," it's worth remembering that in the heyday of the Row, their suits weren't just for the filthy rich and/or clothing obsessed, they were just nice suits for people with a little money in the bank.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JakeLA
Looking at some old newspaper articles and ads I see that in 1975 you could get a suit at A&S for $300 - $400, which was about the same price Brooks Bros. charged for MTM at the time. So when people go on about how "if you have to ask, you can't afford it," it's worth remembering that in the heyday of the Row, their suits weren't just for the filthy rich and/or clothing obsessed, they were just nice suits for people with a little money in the bank.

Or has Brooks Bros gone down market?

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
After inflation adjustment, $300 in 1975 would be around $1200 today.

That's not very helpful because skilled labour wages have inflated at a much faster rate than whatever basket of goods/services was used to calculate that estimate.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loathing
That's not very helpful because skilled labour wages have inflated at a much faster rate than whatever basket of goods/services was used to calculate that estimate.

Except that people here are more worried about how a suit purchase fits into their budget than the amount of skilled labour on their payroll...

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andreyb2
Sorry for being a pedant, but I believe that even technically speaking agjiffy is not correct.

That is, if "Savile Row" as in street address, he is correct.

But if "Savile Row" as in "Savile Row tailor" or "Savile Row house", then traditional definition of SR goes beyond a single street. Here is an excellent text on the matter.

Originally Posted by tennisguru
A&S are members of Savile Row Bespoke Association as are Meyer & Mortimer (Sackville Street), so it certainly extends past the physical boundary of the Row. I believe the 'rule' for joining the Association was to be located within 300 yards of the Row as when Edward Sexton moved to Beauchamp Place he was no longer considered to be a member of Savile Row Bespoke.

Thank you two for saying what I intended but didn't. And no apology necessary Andreyb2, for being a pedant, I appreciate your effort. I was just in from a dinner with a generous supply of good wine and really couldn't wrap my mind around what I wanted to say. In another thread yesterday Vox assigned me the role of Ginger of Gilligan's Island; perhaps I was living up to her intellectual abilities.

I was also going to note -- but forgot at the time -- that in addition to those not literally on the Row but who are truly Savile Row tailors, there are numerous tailors who "use" Savile Row addresses, but have no presence other than a "borrowed" street number and/or showroom. Some of these tailors are quite good, others are not.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JakeLA
My first A&S suits were well south of $1000. That was in the late 70s an early 80s.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MikeDT - are you talking generally or specifically referring to the OP?
The OP in particular and in general. I'm just interested.. Is a bespoke Savile Row suit really better than ones that one can get elsewhere in London or other cities/countries, or is just the prestige/cachet of having a suit made on The Row?

tennisguru

Reaction score
I think it's probably a little of both MikeDT!

There is obviously some cachet in commissioning a suit from Savile Row, it is the home of fine tailoring after all - and you certainly pay for this privilege. Rents are very high, the Row is in a very expensive area of London and is owned by the Burlington Estate, who, while they want the Row to remain for the tailors also appreciate if they sold out to the High Fashion brands could make a hell of a lot more money. You pay for this when you buy!

However, you're also paying for 150 years of experience of fine tailoring and a tradition of producing nothing but the best quality garments. The fact that I know that by buying on the Row (or from it's associated tailors (Sexton, Sackville Street etc) means I am getting an item with at least 80 hours of handwork put into it, by people I can go and watch working on it. Besides, we're British - we like a bit of History and tradition!

Cheers

Ash

The Doctor

Reaction score
The prices I have for Steed are £2520excl VAT so £3024 and for Stephen Hitchcock £2170excl VAT so £2604. A&S would be about the same as Steed when you add VAT, but Stephen is undercutting Daddy by about £500!

Just to correct the prices you have for us (Steed):

2-Piece suit £2100 excluding VAT

2-Piece suit £2520 including VAT

Best,

Edwin DeBoise

Steed Bespoke Tailors

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
After inflation adjustment, $300 in 1975 would be around $1200 today.

So effectively they have gone down market.

tennisguru

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Just to correct the prices you have for us (Steed):

2-Piece suit £2100 excluding VAT

2-Piece suit £2520 including VAT

Best,

Edwin DeBoise

Steed Bespoke Tailors

Hi Edwin

Yeah, my fault, I mis-read the email I had from Matthew, I think I corrected myself later in the thread!

Cheers

Ash

The Doctor

Reaction score
Hi Edwin Yeah, my fault, I mis-read the email I had from Matthew, I think I corrected myself later in the thread! Cheers Ash
Ash, Yes sorry my fault, as soon as I posted I realised you had corrected it yourself. Best, Edwin

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads