• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Samuelsohn MTM

Legal Eagle

Reaction score
Speaking of pants, I just added a second pair of trousers to my order. I will be getting flat fronts with belt loops now too, in addition to the double fwd pleat, no loops, side tab adjusters. Should allow for more versatility and longevity for the suit.

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Speaking of pants, I just added a second pair of trousers to my order. I will be getting flat fronts with belt loops now too, in addition to the double fwd pleat, no loops, side tab adjusters.  Should allow for more versatility and longevity for the suit.  

I've had SAs recommend this as well.

Legal Eagle

Reaction score
Was actually my idea, but yes, I have had it offered to me before. I just figured if spending for MTM, I would get more mileage out of a suit with 2 pairs of pantalones.

Waterloo 360T

Reaction score
So I ordered a Samuelsohn MTM suit 7 weeks ago. A basic, 3 season, light grey, two button suit. It arrived on Monday and I finally made it in today for the finishing touches. Turns out the jacket fits as well as an OTR jaccket fits. The the problem is I measure 40" around the chest but my back is about a 39" and my chest is 41". The SA mentioned this when measuring me but somehow the jacket doesn't reflect this. The lapels bow out a fair amount and have a crease cross the breast. Both sides of the front need about 1/2" - 3/4" more material. Other than that it fits well.
To add to the problem I ordered this suit for a wedding I am attending in two weeks. Any chance they can fix this in time?
Does anyone know if it is possible to build a new front on the jacket or will the whole jacket have to be remade?

Thanks,
Jason

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I ordered a Samuelsohn MTM suit 7 weeks ago. A basic, 3 season, light grey, two button suit. It arrived on Monday and I finally made it in today for the finishing touches. Turns out the jacket fits as well as an OTR jaccket fits. The the problem is I measure 40" around the chest but my back is about a 39" and my chest is 41". The SA mentioned this when measuring me but somehow the jacket doesn't reflect this. The lapels bow out a fair amount and have a crease cross the breast. Both sides of the front need about 1/2" - 3/4" more material. Other than that it fits well.
To add to the problem I ordered this suit for a wedding I am attending in two weeks. Any chance they can fix this in time?
Does anyone know if it is possible to build a new front on the jacket or will the whole jacket have to be remade?
Thanks,
Jason

I have a very similar issue. I have to buy a size that fits my chest and is too large for my back and then have the back taken in. They measured you and noticed the issue; make then get it right.

Legal Eagle

Reaction score
Still waiting on mine. I agree that they should make it right for you, even if it includes recutting a new jacket. Samuelsohn is a very reputable company, but they can only go by what measurements they are given. If your SA got something wrong, I would believe that the men's shop (not Sammy) should eat the cost of making it right. In my case, I know the Samuelsohn Rep measured me for a 43 based upon my shoulders and said they would tailor the chest and waist accordingly.

Waterloo 360T

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. The owner of the store said they will try to alter the jacket for me. If I am not satisfied after the alterations are done I can wear the suit to the wedding and they will have another one made.

He joked I should back into the room beacuse the back looks awesome. Not my wedding and the suit fits as well as most of my OTR suits so not a big deal but I do expect it to fit perfectly (well, as close to perfect a MTM can be).

My takeaway is wait for Samuelsohn's Trunk Show and be measured by the factory rep.

Jason

david809

Reaction score

I've seen the illustrations of the Gable. They are hardly "soft Shoulders" by my purist standards. If you want real
Natural shoulders from Samuelsohn, go with their Greenwich or their Talbot models. The I've tried both
and the Talbot IMHO is somewhat more "Neapolitan" than the Greenwich. Both are great coats.

FYI, Samuelsohn discontinued the Talbot, which was their coat with basically no shoulder padding. According to the rep, the Gable and the Globe are the two softest shoulder models they have. I picked up a Globe, and the coat overall is very soft, light canvas, with a minimal amount of shoulder padding, I would say about the same as the Greenwich. The Globe is trimmer than either the Talbot or the Greenwich (shoulder point to point is the same as Talbot but an inch trimmer in the chest, with the Greenwich fuller than both). The standard lapel width on the Globe is 2 7/8", versus 3 1/4" on the Talbot (not that it matters with MTM, since you can vary lapel width).

I miss the Talbot but the Globe is a decent alternative. The next go round, I'm going to see if they can make the Globe without any padding. If they can't do it, then Paul Stuart's "Paul" model might be in the cards, since it has a really nice natural shoulder (but somewhat closed and square front quarters, which I do not love).

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FYI, Samuelsohn discontinued the Talbot, which was their coat with basically no shoulder padding. According to the rep, the Gable and the Globe are the two softest shoulder models they have. I picked up a Globe, and the coat overall is very soft, light canvas, with a minimal amount of shoulder padding, I would say about the same as the Greenwich. The Globe is trimmer than either the Talbot or the Greenwich (shoulder point to point is the same as Talbot but an inch trimmer in the chest, with the Greenwich fuller than both). The standard lapel width on the Globe is 2 7/8", versus 3 1/4" on the Talbot (not that it matters with MTM, since you can vary lapel width).
I miss the Talbot but the Globe is a decent alternative. The next go round, I'm going to see if they can make the Globe without any padding. If they can't do it, then Paul Stuart's "Paul" model might be in the cards, since it has a really nice natural shoulder (but somewhat closed and square front quarters, which I do not love).

If you are doing MTM can't you get the Talbot model? It's not like it was discontinued 10 years ago.
Or is the process more "industrial" than other MTM programs?

mikt

Reaction score
Thought I would post here since a lot of people seem to have gone through the Samuelsohn MTM process.

I just recently ordered a suit (my first MTM), the process seemed pretty good. Tried on some OTR suits, they then pinned the suit to my liking to figure out the type of style of I wanted,and then did some measurements of my body, and then of the suit with the pins in. All seemed well.

The strange part was, we didn't go through many of the customization options available.

For example, he asked me a few questions about the style I liked. I said I wanted flat front pants, and a notch lapel. He just marked that down.

But reading through these forums, there seems to be a lot that we didn't go through. He made no mention of button choices, I actually have no idea what the back pant pockets will be like.

I did say to him, that this is my first MTM suit, so I wanted to just go with some plain/standard options (didn't want anything too fancy, such as changing the lining, etc...). So I don't know if he took that literally as just going with the "default" options.

Good thing is I just ordered on Thursday, and the fabric I wanted is on order and not expected to come in for another 1-2 weeks, so I can still change anything.

I am a bit annoyed, as you think if he knew that it was my first time, he would run everything by me to make sure its to my liking.

My question to SF is and since the store is closed until Tuesday for a holiday (Canada family day), should I:

1) just cancel the order and go with another store (theres actually a trunk show at Harry Rosen at the beginning of March), or

2) just go back and get all the details of the suit order and make sure its what i want. Other than the lack of details and showing me what options are available, the store has been pretty good.

3) and does anyone know what the "standard" or "default options" on the suit will be (i ordered a Gable). The suit is Navy, and I am worried about the buttons on the suit and what the pants will look like. what are the back pockets on the pants like?

Thanks in advance.

Touching Cloth

Reaction score
Anybody gone through the MTM with Samuelsohn recently? I know they've changed the lineup of cuts available in recent years to align with more contemporary styles. Would you say they've done a good job? How are the shoulder offerings for example?
How great a variety of fabrics are on offer?

I was thinking of attending an upcoming trunk sale. But can't decide between that or Chan, next time he swings by.

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anybody gone through the MTM with Samuelsohn recently? I know they've changed the lineup of cuts available in recent years to align with more contemporary styles. Would you say they've done a good job? How are the shoulder offerings for example?
How great a variety of fabrics are on offer?

I was thinking of attending an upcoming trunk sale. But can't decide between that or Chan, next time he swings by.

I'm going to a MTM event Thursday. I don't know if I'm going to buy because like you I'm not sure of the different models. If I find a model I like (unstructured with minimal/no shoulder padding) then I'll probably buy.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much of the success of the MTM process rests with the experience and professionalism of sales representative who walks you through the ordering process. I probably have half a dozen Samuelsohn MTMs - single breasted, double, vested etc., suits and blazers - and have been consistently happy with the results. The most recent delivery was this past February. All have been ordered through Robert Jones Menswear, downtown Toronto. I find I'd have to spend a LOT more money to get a suit that is of noticeably better quality.

As for style, I definitely do not go for the trendy button-popping shrink-wrapped, low-waist, short-hemmed pant look that so many here seem to favor. I don't know if Samelsohn has anything like that, because I've never asked.

mikt - the process you went through sounds about right. If you made the point of saying you wanted every thing more or less basic, you can't fault the salesperson for taking you at your word. But if you'd like to discuss what additional options migth be open to you, just pick up the phone and make a call.

Touching Cloth

Reaction score
Much of the success of the MTM process rests with the experience and professionalism of sales representative who walks you through the ordering process. I probably have half a dozen Samuelsohn MTMs - single breasted, double, vested etc., suits and blazers - and have been consistently happy with the results. The most recent delivery was this past February. All have been ordered through Robert Jones Menswear, downtown Toronto. I find I'd have to spend a LOT more money to get a suit that is of noticeably better quality.

As for style, I definitely do not go for the trendy button-popping shrink-wrapped, low-waist, short-hemmed pant look that so many here seem to favor. I don't know if Samelsohn has anything like that, because I've never asked.

mikt - the process you went through sounds about right. If you made the point of saying you wanted every thing more or less basic, you can't fault the salesperson for taking you at your word. But if you'd like to discuss what additional options migth be open to you, just pick up the phone and make a call.
Thanks for the response. I'll be going to The Hound in San Francisco, who, I think, have a pretty good reputation. It's a pity the Samuelsohn website gives such a poor overview of the offerings.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads