• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

echau

Reaction score
Of course, the best thing to do is try them on in store. If there isn't a boutique or retailer near you, I would suggest buying from a site that offers detailed measurements or if you're buying from an individual seller, ask them to take actual measurements of the product. You can compare to other jeans you own and get a good idea of the fit.

Remember, jeans stretch, so take that to account when comparing new vs. used measurements.

cjbreed

Reaction score

Are black suede boots worth it or nah? What do you guys think?

i asked a similar question a few days ago and got some decent replies

hedi 30 chelsea boot in black suede...

thoughts? i'm torn. can't tell if its classic and versatile or maybe just a little boring...

so i went ahead and bought them. and i am glad i did. the suede itself is very nice. i wouldn't say its more or less versatile than plain black leather, its just different. perhaps a bit more casual. anyway i love them

but sometimes there are sweetheart responses like this:

i'm thinking about making a decision for myself

do you guys think i should or not?

although certainly understandable at times, responses like this are off-putting and counter productive. OP was asking for thoughts and opinions. thats all. acquiring info and ideas from others is not a sign of stupidity or weakness. in this instance its just a conversation with your peers.

so boring coming on here when there's been a post and its idiots asking someone else whether they should buy a certain item (expensive items as well)

which size fits best questions also (try em and find out?)

thats not what he is asking. and furthermore many people can't try these items firsthand, obviously. but there is also the possibility that a person is planning to make an online purchase and simply doesn't feel right going to an slp boutique just to "showroom" them (trying items to get sizing right, etc. just to go buy online). because its tacky. so why not ask a simple question on sf? no reason in the world to get all butthurt about it.

Last edited:

slann01

Reaction score
Is there a good guide for jeans sizing/styles somewhere? I've tried a few pairs and have had bad luck finding a pair that fits

edit: this is somewhat helpful, I guess http://lustercatcher.com/2016/02/29/saint-laurent-denim-codes-guide

I suppose it still varies style to style though, season to season. It's annoying how vague some sites are, though...

I have a pair of D01, size 30, way too tight in the thigh and can just barely button the waist. I just bought a pair of D02, the current waxed ones, tried a size 32 and they are way too big, waist measures 17" across and the thighs are really baggy. Can they be mislabeled? They are 2 different styles of jeans but how can they be so far apart?

p.s., would be happy to trade the 32s for a 30

Ahahah man, that's my blog! I put all the info I had in that guide, and there isn't anything better on the net at the moment. Unfortunately SLP denim sizing is completely inconsistent, I would need to work for Saint Laurent in order to know every change in each model between seasons :) I did not think what I wrote there was vague lol

therattler

Reaction score
i took my black suede chelseas back. they didn't seem to add much to my wardrobe especially compared to any of the tan variations.

I'm surprised no one is talking much about hedi's lawyer letter. seems quite aggressive to me. and I'm intrigued as to what rights he is pursuing. i have a feeling there is some sort of dispute with kering withholding payment and using the rumours of him starting his own label as justification. obviously thats wild speculation. but why else would he bring it up? it is a shame however, that there isn't going to be a HS label.

the pre-fall collection was the rumoured 'cruise collection' i brought up before. scanner I'm with you, I'm just going to grab a couple palladium pieces and the few remaining permanent items and then enjoy the extra money i won't spend for the next few months.

gustavobradley

Reaction score
I don't think it was aggressive really, just very "legal" - clear, and to the point. I didn't read it as some conspiracy on Kering's part at all. It makes sense that he'd be using legal counsel to help smooth out everything with the contract, imo. I can only see them bringing it up as a way to shut down all the rumors before they have a chance to really gain traction. Hedi doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who wants people hounding him over unanswered questions and rumors all the time.

We'll just have to wait to see where he goes before we get another HS label, I guess
tongue.gif

Regg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ahahah man, that's my blog! I put all the info I had in that guide, and there isn't anything better on the net at the moment. Unfortunately SLP denim sizing is completely inconsistent, I would need to work for Saint Laurent in order to know every change in each model between seasons :) I did not think what I wrote there was vague lol

haha well good job, it's solid stuff

I didn't mean your stuff was vague, but the stores. Many just list "slim, skinny" etc without much else. They have 3 or 4 pairs of black jeans and it's like a mystery trying to compare them all. I guess your info can be used to decipher it, at least a little bit. Would it kill them to at least list "D01", "D02"?

slann01

Reaction score
haha well good job, it's solid stuff

I didn't mean your stuff was vague, but the stores. Many just list "slim, skinny" etc without much else. They have 3 or 4 pairs of black jeans and it's like a mystery trying to compare them all. I guess your info can be used to decipher it, at least a little bit. Would it kill them to at least list "D01", "D02"?

Ah sorry then my bad, I thought you were talking about my guide :) yes all retailers do the worst job possible when they list Saint Laurent denim and, like you said, putting the d01,d02 etc code in the description would make things way easier.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Half of this pre-fall collection has been on the website for ages (babycat jumper, striped jumper, babycat camo jacket, etc.). Seems they're trying to generate new interest in things that didn't sell well at first. I might give the black / ivory striped t a go though as I need t-shirts.

On next season, the mid waist raw hem, the black leather Chelseas, and the Derbies are all definite purchases for me. I might get a belt (not sure which one I like if any at this stage, and I'd like some kind of outerwear, but will have to wait and see what I like when it arrives. I will also give the black / ivory Breton mock neck a try. Other than that I will be getting more permanent collection depending on whether anything I want gets re-released (3 button blazer, black zip hoody, black fine merino crew, Wyatt Chelsea without a massive ankle shaft, and many more items). Also there's usually some non-runway items that I end up liking.

therattler

Reaction score
yeah man I'm going gold zip ups and maybe a pair of the snakeskin zip ups, waist coat, scarf and maybe the red jacket that didn't have the musical note on it - will have to see. i'm with you on the belts, will see which one jumps out. i need to grab the breton striped sweater from PC, i can't go turtleneck, and a black western shirt. I'm also interested in another coat, maybe the allure.

a friend who went to the showroom was really impressed with the cut of the blazers.

Regg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ah sorry then my bad, I thought you were talking about my guide :) yes all retailers do the worst job possible when they list Saint Laurent denim and, like you said, putting the d01,d02 etc code in the description would make things way easier.

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main...+Laurent&N=4294908032+306418194&bmUID=lh.5es8

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main...+Laurent&N=4294908032+306418194&bmUID=lh.5esb

It's almost a practical joke

Saint Laurent
Skinny Stretch-Cotton Jeans

vs

Saint Laurent
Skinny Stretch Cotton Jeans

and then the description of each calls them slim...I guess you guys are used to this, but I'm just finding it out and it's ridiculous!

echau

Reaction score

I think they are totally worth it...these are the cropped chelsea's from this season
Agreed, I love how the black suede is a deeper black than black leather. And although black suede isn't as versatile as tan/brown, I wear them with anything. Some people think the transition from washed blue denim to black suede is too much, but if black denim to tan suede and black denim to white sneakers is okay, I see no issue. In fact, I'm going out tonight, I'm gonna have to try that combo again.

Last edited:

onlyslp

Reaction score
Agreed, I love how the black suede is a deeper black than black leather.
And although black suede isn't as versatile as tan/brown, I wear them with anything.
Some people think the transition from washed blue denim to black suede is too much, but if black denim to tan suede and black denim to white sneakers is okay, I see no issue.
In fact, I'm going out tonight, I'm gonna have to try that combo again.
I think they are totally worth it...these are the cropped chelsea's from this season

i asked a similar question a few days ago and got some decent replies
so i went ahead and bought them. and i am glad i did. the suede itself is very nice. i wouldn't say its more or less versatile than plain black leather, its just different. perhaps a bit more casual. anyway i love them

but sometimes there are sweetheart responses like this:
although certainly understandable at times, responses like this are off-putting and counter productive. OP was asking for thoughts and opinions. thats all. acquiring info and ideas from others is not a sign of stupidity or weakness. in this instance its just a conversation with your peers.
thats not what he is asking. and furthermore many people can't try these items firsthand, obviously. but there is also the possibility that a person is planning to make an online purchase and simply doesn't feel right going to an slp boutique just to "showroom" them (trying items to get sizing right, etc. just to go buy online). because its tacky. so why not ask a simple question on sf? no reason in the world to get all butthurt about it.

thanks guys, I have a lot of black leather and tan suede so i'm just thinking about add some black suede since the only black ones I have are all leather

asked my SA for any black suede boots but there are none available in my size as of right now

I'm actually kinda interested in how the cropped Chelsea are.......from some pics they look really cheap but then I've never gotten to have a chance to see them in person

meanwhile i'm not really interested in the new thin sole boots and i'm not sure if they'll still have the wyatt 30 or wyatt 40 chelseas in black suede coming out for fw16

maybe I should look into the black suede high jods but then I'm not a fan of the jodhpurs because I think wyatt 30 chelseas are sleeker and more versatile

btw I got some news for you guys, there will be black leather wyatt harness with black hardware.

Last edited:

dieseltheory

Reaction score
thanks guys, I have a lot of black leather and tan suede so i'm just thinking about add some black suede since the only black ones I have are all leather

asked my SA for any black suede boots but there are none available in my size as of right now

I'm actually kinda interested in how the cropped Chelsea are.......from some pics they look really cheap but then I've never gotten to have a chance to see them in person

meanwhile i'm not really interested in the new thin sole boots so i'm not sure if they'll still have the hedi 30 or wyatt chelseas in black suede coming out for fw16

maybe I should look into the black suede high jods but then I'm not a fan of the jodhpurs because I think hedi 30 chelseas are sleeker and more versatile

btw I got some news for you guys, there will be black leather wyatt harness with black hardware.

RE: cropped chelseas....as with everyone, we all have our way of defining a style and to me, while it's nice to wear SLP all around...i try to stay away from being SLP head to toe, that's just not me....i actually have the cropped chelsea in the dark chocolate brown as well and will definitely be buying snake/lizard skin, suede variations of the "devan" boots from thw FW16 show

never been a fan of the wyatt boots as its just not my style as i've always worn chelsea style boots going back 15 yrs now, mind i'm 35 now...so obviously my opinion is biased, i just think it's a "cleaner" look end day, but that's just me

in terms of quality....i can assure you that they do not look or feel cheap by any means....i know everyone says they look like ASOS boots etc....but TRUST me, up close or even 10-20 meters away you wont think they look cheap

i live in LA so i see a lot of ASOS/Topman chelsea boots and the typical "SLP" look that everyone tries to portray, whether successfully or not, that's in the eye of the wearer hehe and these are anything but "cheap" looking

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdp