• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

S&M Suit Jacket Regular vs Long

Revonoc

Reaction score
I am looking for some advice from those who have experience with S&M off-the-rack suit Jackets. I am 6"2' 185lbs. I own several SS Lazio suit jackets in a 40L and they fit very well (I have to have about 4cm let out of the waits). I just ordered an S&M suit jacket in a 40L contemporary and the fit is good, with the exception of the sleeves, which are about 3cm too long. The waist is ok, but maybe could be brought in 2cm. I had read that the size between SS and S&M was about the same, so I am not sure what the best option for me is.

Option 1: return the S&M suit jacket for a 40R contemporary (or slim?).

Option 2: Have a tailor shorten the sleeves and take in the waist.

I have gone over the sizing charts countless times and I am just not sure what my best option is. Seems like a toss-up. The S&M 40L needs the sleeves lengthened and waist taken in. The S&M 40R may need the sleeves lengthened and the jacket may be too short. Also the contemporary vs slim is a factor.

Any similar experience or advice is much appreciated.

Sizing charts for reference:
SuitChestWaistSholdersSleeve Back
SS 40L Lazio110cm98cm *MTM46cm65cm79cm
S&M 40L Contemporary110cm99cm46cm66.5cm79cm
S&M 40R Contemporary110cm99cm46cm64cm76cm
S&M 40R Slim110cm97cm46cm64cm76cm
PXL_20211012_213958448.jpg
PXL_20211012_214016870.jpg
PXL_20211012_214043251.jpg
PXL_20211012_214058655.jpg

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pictures will always help with questions like this.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shortening sleeves with non working buttonholes is not a big problem. A jacket that is too short in the body is a big problem. The S&M 40R is 3 cm shorter than the SS 40L that you say fits you well.

Revonoc

Reaction score
I did my best to add some pictures. I had my son take a few - he is quite a bit shorter so hopefully, the angle does not mess things up.

I do understand that getting sleeves shortened would be better than getting the suit lengthened. I guess my hope would be that I could lose the 3cm in length and wear the jacket without alterations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads