• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone found the leather quality to be variable?

On the french veal calf, does it wrinkle less?

Does the non-slip sole wrinkle the boots more?

GrayGnu

Reaction score
Just got my 9F Yearling Chestnut Craftsman from Aussie Bush Hats, aside from maybe being a bit too long, fit pretty snug (if they were shorter, could cramp ye ol' toes, so probably better this way). On the shoe measurement machine, I come out right at a 10 and am pretty close to halfway between a C and a D.

Ordered on the 11th, received in Houston on the 28th, all for a little under $200 at the current exchange rate.

In any case, got lots of help from the folks who posted here, so gracias.

DrPat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
4. I really, really liked the Kangaroo boots in Tan Bark. I was told that only this leather is available in said color. I liked the color enough that I now plan on ordering an additional pair of boots in it.

I also saw these while in the NY shop and really liked them (if these are indeed the ones which appear to be a yellowish tan). I noticed that Nungar has the Comfort Craftsman available in tan and dark tan.
http://www.nungar.com.au/catalog/pro...roducts_id/203

Does anyone know what the difference is between whiskey, tan bark, tan, and dark tan. Any pics to illustrate any of these colors and how they differ? The best I could find was: http://www.bootsonline.com.au/colours.htm
In this photo, the tan appears to be more of an orange color (like I would expect from whiskey) rather than the yellow-tan I saw in NY.

justbarak

Reaction score
Ordered and received a pair of yearling comfort craftsman size 7.5G - my first RM Williams shoes. They are beautiful shoes. I did my best to size them according to the recommendations given here in the forum. I know they are considered "pre stretched" but I'm curious if they will soften up or break in at all. They are great in the toe box and heal but the inside and outside of my foot around the arch is a rather snug. If wondering if that will loosen up with wear or not.

If not, and I should exchange them, would I be better off going up a half size or keeping the same size and just going up a width.

Barak

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it is snug around the ankle/arch without being uncomfortable it will break in. Both the leather and the elastic will stretch a little. The extra snugness around the joint gives you extra ankle support - something shoes lack.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
I'd like to offer a very fine alternative to a chelsea boot from R.M. Williams - Baxter Boots from Goulburn, NSW, Australia. I think you'll find their Henry Baxter Classic boot is the equal--or close to it--to an R.M. Williams Craftsman boot, albeit with far less variety of styles and colours. Still, the quality is excellent, the Henry Baxter Classic is made mostly by hand in their Goulburn factory, it's a whole cut boot, making it very rare indeed, with a welted sole. Check 'em out at their site (pretty bare bones, but some good info on their company and their boots):

http://www.baxterfootwear.com.au

They have plenty of other styles of boots, many of which are made in Asia, however. But, the Henry Baxter Classic is a fine alternative to a R.M. Williams Craftsman and cheaper as well. You can buy them either here or here. Thanks
smile.gif

Frank Dirscherl
www.frankdirscherl.com

Anyone check these out yet? Here are a couple pics of these wholecut boots:

header_01.jpg
header_02.jpg

henry_baxter%20(344%20x%20250).jpg

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is a good belt to go with the Stockman Buckle Kangaroo in Chestnut? Any suggestions? I ordered them from Nungar last week. Hopefully it won't take too long. I should have gotten a belt with my order I guess. Would one of these chesnut RM Williams belts look good, or is that too much like garanimals matching them up like that? http://www.bootsonline.com.au/belts.htm

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
Has anyone found the leather quality to be variable?

On the french veal calf, does it wrinkle less?

Does the non-slip sole wrinkle the boots more?

I have 2 pairs; both in yearling w/ leather sole. I put some Dr. Scholl-type insoles in them and they fit snug, so they're is very little wrinkling. I would imagine that's the key (buying them slightly snug width-wise so that your foot fills the boot). I've read Kangaroo stretches quite a bit.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Caveat
What is a good belt to go with the Stockman Buckle Kangaroo in Chestnut? Any suggestions? I ordered them from Nungar last week. Hopefully it won't take too long. I should have gotten a belt with my order I guess.

Would one of these chesnut RM Williams belts look good, or is that too much like garanimals matching them up like that?

http://www.bootsonline.com.au/belts.htm

The color between my Chestnut Roo Craftsmen and chestnut work belt isn't identical. The Roo Chestnut is kind of a dull medium-dark brown, while the belt is a richer dark brown.

etrayne

Reaction score
I am having a tough time figuring out my size. I was in NYC last weekend and tried on a pair of Comfort Craftsman in size 9G. The heel felt perfect, and the width from the heel to the ball of my foot was just right. However, my toes were just a little cramped width-wise, and even though I had maybe 0.8 inches of room between my big toe and the end of the boot, my toe kept bumping up against the top of the boot and thus the boot felt slightly short in length.

I should mention that after doing some research about the various styles, I'd like to get a pair of Comfort Turnouts (which I unfortunately did not try on in NYC). From what I've read, the Comfort Turnouts may have some more room in the toes when compared to the Comfort Craftsman, even if they are listed as the same size and width. So should a 9G in the Turnout "feel" slightly wider and perhaps slightly longer than a 9G in the Craftsman?

I've also read that if I were to move up to a size 9.5G, there would be no increase in the length of the shoe - only the width would increase. Is this true? Is a 9.5G the exact same length and width as a 9H? Does this mean that if I want slightly more room in the toes and slightly more room in the width compared to a 9G, I need to order a 10G? I'm afraid at 10G would end up being too long and too wide. For that reason, I'm tempted to order a 9.5G in the Comfort Turnout, but in that case I'm worried my big toe may still be hitting the top/front of the boot because the boot won't be any longer than the 9G I tried on.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

By the way, in case it's helpful - my foot is approximately 10.75 inches long and 4.125 inches wide. Depending on the brand of shoe, I wear anything from a 9.5 and a 10.5 in US sizes; 43 and 44 in European sizes. Haven't been able to try on the AE PA's, though.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by etrayne
I am having a tough time figuring out my size. I was in NYC last weekend and tried on a pair of Comfort Craftsman in size 9G. The heel felt perfect, and the width from the heel to the ball of my foot was just right. However, my toes were just a little cramped width-wise, and even though I had maybe 0.8 inches of room between my big toe and the end of the boot, my toe kept bumping up against the top of the boot and thus the boot felt slightly short in length. . . From what I've read, the Comfort Turnouts may have some more room in the toes when compared to the Comfort Craftsman, even if they are listed as the same size and width. . . .
Yes, the Turnout has more toe room & is a much better shape if you have longer toes. Always go with the too-big size, if you are on the fence, with boots.
I've also read that if I were to move up to a size 9.5G, there would be no increase in the length of the shoe - only the width would increase. Is this true?
No. I've been assured by salesmen in NYC (I called the store) and in Australia that this idea is absolute bunkum. Also my 9.5G Turnouts are clearly longer than my 9G Turnouts. They fit a little wider in the ankle and a little shorter overall (quarter-size?) than my 10.5US Brooks Brothers AS-for-Peal Chukkas. It seems that there can be some variation in size, or some inaccuracy with stamped size, from shoe to shoe. This is a quality control issue, and it might be a good reason to not score your first pair of RMW at a factory-seconds price off ebay. One thing about the ankle fit. The 9.5G Turnout was loose on my left ankle at first, but got snugger after 20-30 wearings. As that ridge down the front disappears, the front of the boot conformed better to the top of my low-arched foot.

etrayne

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. Would you say that your 9.5G Turnouts are noticeably wider than your 9G's, or is the main difference just a couple centimeters of extra length? How much room should I have between the end of my toes and the end of the boot? And which size seems to fit better for you - the 9G's or the 9.5G's?

The reason I ask is because I think I probably have enough room length-wise in the size 9 (I've got about 0.8 inches of room beyond my big toe), so I'm worried that if I order a 9.5G it could end up being both a little too long and a little too wide. If the 9G in the Turnout will fit a little wider than the 9G Craftsman, and the toe box will be a little higher than the Craftsman so that the toenail on my big toe isn't hitting the top/front of the boot, I think the 9G is probably my size. But, like you said, I don't want to get a boot that's too short. I'm just worried that if I jump up a half size the whole thing could end up being too loose.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shoes scale. A 9.5 is both a little longer and a little wider than a 9. If you're worried, and you're sure you just need length, then go up half a size and down a width. Or up a full size and down a width.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. Would you say that your 9.5G Turnouts are noticeably wider than your 9G's, or is the main difference just a couple centimeters of extra length? How much room should I have between the end of my toes and the end of the boot? And which size seems to fit better for you - the 9G's or the 9.5G's? The reason I ask is because I think I probably have enough room length-wise in the size 9 (I've got about 0.8 inches of room beyond my big toe), so I'm worried that if I order a 9.5G it could end up being both a little too long and a little too wide. If the 9G in the Turnout will fit a little wider than the 9G Craftsman, and the toe box will be a little higher than the Craftsman so that the toenail on my big toe isn't hitting the top/front of the boot, I think the 9G is probably my size. But, like you said, I don't want to get a boot that's too short. I'm just worried that if I jump up a half size the whole thing could end up being too loose.
I think the room in front of your big toe is only one variable. The other is heel-to-ball. Look here for more on that. Some feet have the same size heel-to-ball, and some (high arch, low arch, e.g.) have different size toe length and heel-to-ball length. When you bend your foot, does your foot bend the boot where it wants to bend? That question has to be considered as you look at room in front of the toes. Not sure on the Turnout vs. Craftsman width question, since I don't have both, but from pictures it looks like the Turnout has wider toes only. That is, my guess is the 9G Craftsman and the 9G Turnout will have much the same ankle width but more room for toes in the Turnout. But that's just a guess. This would be a good question to ask whoever is selling you the boots. One more thing. If my toenail was hitting the front of the boot, I'd cut it and try again. If it was still hitting the front of the boot, I'd think the boot was too short, for sure. If you put that kind of regular pressure on your toenails, they are going to thicken. And you will look like you have the toenail fungus.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads