• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rankiz

Reaction score
The comfort craftsman seems to be perfect for me. I'm just deciding if I should get brown suede or black calf for every day use paired with jeans.

MTLGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MTLGuy
I have been reading through this huge thread but haven't been able to find a clear answer - do any Canadians have experience ordering from bootsonline.com? What is the story re: customs / duties?

Thanks in advance.

Anyone?

Rankiz

Reaction score
I tried the boots in the store and had a size of 7, when ordering what Sizetype should I pick? Australian right? And European size 40?

Silent Speaker

Reaction score
Probably best to confirm at the store which sizes they fed you, just in case :p

Also, don't forget about whether or not it's a G or H fitting.

EndlessBreak

Reaction score
I have been reading through this huge thread but haven't been able to find a clear answer - do any Canadians have experience ordering from bootsonline.com? What is the story re: customs / duties?

Thanks in advance.

I'll let you know when I receive my MTO order. I asked Barry to mark the item as "Gift".

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rankiz
I tried the boots in the store and had a size of 7, when ordering what Sizetype should I pick? Australian right? And European size 40?

Australian sizing is based on the English system. So if your a 7 US then 6 English. Also if you go Kangaroo go a width smaller as there very soft and stretch. I am Australian 10 G and ended up with a 10F in the Comfort Craftsman

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by richardwallace
fully lined is nicer. i can't think of any reason not to get them fully lined. probably the only reason they don't normally fully line the work boots is to cut costs.

This may be helpful to the thread...

I inquired to bootsonline about a makeup mentioned a few pages back, namely, the yard boot in vesta leather with stock composite soul but with leather heel, fully leather lined. Amazingly, Barrie responded in about 45 mins to my email. However, this was his response (sic):

"Unfortunately your design suggested design will not work

Cannot put a stacked leather heel with the Yard Boot sole

Leather is lined because the outer leather is not heavy enough to stand up by itself. Vesta and Kip leather are heavyweight and will not take lining.

Vesta is still a working leather that doesn't really shine too well.

Have a look at the Lachlan http://www.bootsonline.com.au/b578.htm

All our leather age well. The problem is not our boots but our bodies.

At this time of the year delivery would not be until early March 2011 as RMW close the factory for summer vacation through January

Price for this sort of Made-to-Order is usually $30 more than the stock item.

Hope this helped"

Sounds like my particular MTO configuration is impossible
laugh.gif

MTLGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
This may be helpful to the thread...

I inquired to bootsonline about a makeup mentioned a few pages back, namely, the yard boot in vesta leather with stock composite soul but with leather heel, fully leather lined. Amazingly, Barrie responded in about 45 mins to my email. However, this was his response (sic):

"Unfortunately your design suggested design will not work

Cannot put a stacked leather heel with the Yard Boot sole

Leather is lined because the outer leather is not heavy enough to stand up by itself. Vesta and Kip leather are heavyweight and will not take lining.

Vesta is still a working leather that doesn't really shine too well.

Have a look at the Lachlan http://www.bootsonline.com.au/b578.htm

All our leather age well. The problem is not our boots but our bodies.

At this time of the year delivery would not be until early March 2011 as RMW close the factory for summer vacation through January

Price for this sort of Made-to-Order is usually $30 more than the stock item.

Hope this helped"

Sounds like my particular MTO configuration is impossible
laugh.gif

Does anyone know if that March 2011 delivery time is applicable to regular orders as well? Or is it only for MTO?

Silent Speaker

Reaction score
I would assume that, unless Barry did not have stock on the item in question, this date is applicable only for MTO's that must be made up at the factory itself.

From what I can remember from the short glimpse of their storeroom when I visited their physical store, there were quite a few boxes to go around :p

I would suggest shooting off an email to Barry to see if what you want is in stock.

MTLGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Silent Speaker
I would assume that, unless Barry did not have stock on the item in question, this date is applicable only for MTO's that must be made up at the factory itself.

From what I can remember from the short glimpse of their storeroom when I visited their physical store, there were quite a few boxes to go around :p

I would suggest shooting off an email to Barry to see if what you want is in stock.

Thanks. Will do.

I also have a sizing question. I know that there is a very detailed guide at the beginning of this thread and that there has been extensive discussion about sizing (it seems there are a few theories out there), but I was wondering if someone could provide some pointed advice.

I wear an 8.5E UK in C&Js (348 last). Would an 8.5G in the Comfort Craftsmans (with the poron insole) do the trick?

MTLGuy

Reaction score
Thanks. Will do.

I also have a sizing question. I know that there is a very detailed guide at the beginning of this thread and that there has been extensive discussion about sizing (it seems there are a few theories out there), but I was wondering if someone could provide some pointed advice.

I wear an 8.5E UK in C&Js (348 last). Would an 8.5G in the Comfort Craftsmans (with the poron insole) do the trick?

Anyone have some input re: sizing?

Thanks.

MTLGuy

Reaction score
Anyone have some input re: sizing?

Thanks.

Surely someone here has a pair of C&Js on the 348 last and a pair of RM Williams boots. Does 8.5E UK = RM Williams 8.5G?

ap10046

Reaction score
Hi MTLGuy
I had a pair of C&J Yardleys (10.5UK)and I have a pair of RMW Craftsman Yearlings (10.5Aus) and I am very sure the C&J's are roomier up front (width wise).
I usually wear a 11-11.5 US. I always feel I should have ordered an 11 AUS.

Rusty G.

Reaction score
I usually wear a size 10D in US sizes. I go with size 9 in my Crockett and Jones boots (UK sizes) and bought a pair of 9 in a black Craftsman. The boots are just a little too small, and I probably would have gone with a 9.5 (or maybe even a 10 if I had to do it over again.

Lear

Reaction score
While we're on the topic of RMW fit:

I have flat feet
-------------------
My 12H CC were a perfect fit with a pair of Orthaheel Regular Orthotics (size XL, blue colour). However, I had another same sized pair that were too baggy across the top, and my foot was slipping at the heel. I tried just about everything under the sun. Putting in full length insoles caused my toes to cramp; thicker socks the same. Finally, I hit upon the idea off gluing the Orthaheel onto a Danner insert. This insert is made of thin indestructible plastic. It sits low in the boot, and gently curves up around the edges ever so slightly. It cups the Orthaheel perfectly. No other solution had worked for me. The glue has held for two years now. This procedure might not be recommended by a podiatrist.

Could be of help to anyone about to sell a pair they feel are too baggy across the top. Downside is that you might waste your money on a pair of Danner inserts.

Lear

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads