• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rhomboid major muscle and middle trapezius

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
if you really are 100lbs, then you probably don't want to walk into a gym. you may even want to just kill yourself. any idiot can put on muscle for chrissakes. and i'm not impressed when a 100-180lb person busts out lots of reps for chins. the lighter you are/shorter you are, the easier it is. no offense.

Honestly not trying to start an argument, but I've never understood that mentality; ie. it's easier for smaller guys to do pull ups. Why would it be easier? Small guy can pull his bodyweight up; why can't big guy pull his bodyweight up? Assuming both guys are in shape (not overweight blobs), shouldn't the muscles on each be able to pull the body up? Big guy obviously weighs more, but also obviously has bigger arms, back and all the other muscles that go into a pull-up. If not, then he either weighs too much for his strength or his muscles are all show, no go.

I will agree that I rarely see the huge guys doing pull-ups. It's too bad as it is as functional exercise as there is.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
Honestly not trying to start an argument, but I've never understood that mentality; ie. it's easier for smaller guys to do pull ups. Why would it be easier? Small guy can pull his bodyweight up; why can't big guy pull his bodyweight up? Assuming both guys are in shape (not overweight blobs), shouldn't the muscles on each be able to pull the body up? Big guy obviously weighs more, but also obviously has bigger arms, back and all the other muscles that go into a pull-up. If not, then he either weighs too much for his strength or his muscles are all show, no go.

I will agree that I rarely see the huge guys doing pull-ups. It's too bad as it is as functional exercise as there is.

Muscles and size aren't uniform across the body. Most of the weight from big guys are on muscles that don't do much for a chin-up (legs, core, triceps, etc.).

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland

I thought this would be intuitively obvious, but.... A smaller person has a lot less inactive weight during a pull up. Everything from the waist down is just dead weight.. muscle, fat, bone, fluids. In a pull up or chin up, the ratio of activated muscles to dead weight favors the smaller person.

Also, if you are taller, your upper body is not naturally more developed than a shorter person. I could give a little on lower body (legs carry around more weight, perhaps), but upper body is not magically stronger with height.

My anecdotal evidence: I spend a lot of time around the area where the pull up bars are located at my gym. Around 75% of the people I see doing pullups have to jump up to reach the bar (because they're short). It's a rare sight to see someone of average height cranking out full sets of pullups. I do agree with you that the exercise is important, and I am currently doing 3x10 wide grip with 20 pounds assist, and that kills me.

migo

Reaction score
1) I've been playing soccer all my life...most of my muscle is in my meaty thighs.

2) I do my pullups with 20 pounds strapped on...just because I don't weigh much doesn't mean I have it easy. To a certain extent, strength is relative, but I'm stronger than a lot of people my size/weight.

3) I'm a proponent of the simple moves too. I've gained most of my strength from compound moves. To add to (1), I squat regularly, and I prefer clean and presses to any targeted exercise any day. Apart from the fact that you can move more weight, it saves me time rather than doing a suite of exercises.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member