• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Removing metal eyelets

mg428

Reaction score
Is it possible to safely remove metal eyelets without damaging the leather? Can a cobbler do this?

Although my question is general, I am particularly interested in doing this on Alden shoes.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
M, why do you want to remove the eyelets? Most aldens have them on the inside from what I remember. You don't like the looks? Removing them should not be too much trouble, a good cobbler should be able to handle it - however, I am not sure it is a good thing having no eyelets (inside or outside).

I love metal eyelets and I wish alden made more shoes with eyelets on the outside.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My EG's have metal eyelets, but they're recessed so they're only visible if you pull back the tongue on the inside of the shoe.

All the durability benefits, without the clunky looks = win.

mg428

Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
M, why do you want to remove the eyelets? Most aldens have them on the inside from what I remember. You don't like the looks? Removing them should not be too much trouble, a good cobbler should be able to handle it - however, I am not sure it is a good thing having no eyelets (inside or outside). I love metal eyelets and I wish alden made more shoes with eyelets on the outside.
First I need to clarify that I am talking about the metal eyelets on the outside. Although I like them in general for clunkier shoes, I do have 4 Alden high boots, 3 of which are indy and one is tanker, all with metal eyelets on the outside. I may consider removing the eyelets in one of them, if that is really easy for a cobbler without damaging the leather, for a different look. I just saw the new photos of the cigar indy posted on leffot's blog, and I really liked those Indy boots without metal eyelets.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm afraid, you cannot remove them.

The eyelets would have been placed with a machine similar to this one which uses heavy pressure to close them, depending on the system used, the eyelets are either two pieces or one piece that opens up star-shaped prongs on the underside.

http://www.diytrade.com/china/4/prod...s_leather.html

Even if you could pull them out without damage to the lining underside (which I doubt), they would leave a pressure mark on the top leather as they are actually larger than the hole.

mg428

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
I'm afraid, you cannot remove them.

The eyelets would have been placed with a machine similar to this one which uses heavy pressure to close them, depending on the system used, the eyelets are either two pieces or one piece that opens up star-shaped prongs on the underside.

http://www.diytrade.com/china/4/prod...s_leather.html

Even if you could pull them out without damage to the lining underside (which I doubt), they would leave a pressure mark on the top leather as they are actually larger than the hole.

Thank you. Very helpful info.

josh1233

Reaction score
If the eyelets show on both sides they can possibly be removed. You would have to drill them out with a bit the same size as the eyelet shaft. The problem you may run into is that the eyelets might want to spin before you can drill the head off and pop them out. If they start to spin it will burn and mark the leather.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josh1233
If the eyelets show on both sides they can possibly be removed. You would have to drill them out with a bit the same size as the eyelet shaft. The problem you may run into is that the eyelets might want to spin before you can drill the head off and pop them out. If they start to spin it will burn and mark the leather.

Don't do this.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mg428
Is it possible to safely remove metal eyelets without damaging the leather? Can a cobbler do this?

Although my question is general, I am particularly interested in doing this on Alden shoes.

I wouldn't do this.

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When taking my Aldens in to the local cobbler to get toe taps I asked about this. They told me the same thing, removing the metal eyelets will most likely be impossible.

Shiny

Reaction score
I want to remove and then reinstall the eyelets that don't show metal on the outside. Is this still a no? I think the metal eyelets that show on the outside make the shoe a too casual.

atia2

Reaction score
I thought I would resurrect this thread to ask the converse question:

Is it feasible to insert metal eyelets (preferably the 'blind' type which show only on the inside) into dress shoes whose lace holes do not already have them?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought I would resurrect this thread to ask the converse question:

Is it feasible to insert metal eyelets (preferably the 'blind' type which show only on the inside) into dress shoes whose lace holes do not already have them?

Why on earth would you want to do this? Have you managed to damage them or have you decided you know better than the manufacturer that they will become damaged?

atia2

Reaction score

Why on earth would you want to do this? Have you managed to damage them or have you decided you know better than the manufacturer that they will become damaged?

My laces fray and break very rapidly in these shoes compared to my other pairs, all of which have metal eyelets. This makes physical sense to me, as the smooth inner surface of a metal eyelet is bound to place a smaller frictional load on the lace than a rougher leather hole.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads