• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recutting Pants - Wilfreds?

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi -

Has anyone had Wilfreds done a total recut of pants?
I need to have a size 39W double pleated trousers to be recut into about 34 1/2 W. Previouis tailor I used kinda messed it up and totally screwed up the proporation. Don't care as much about the cost, just want it done right.
If not Wilfred, has anyone had this major recut done by any NYC tailor that you are happy with?

thanks

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wilfred has done recuts on several pairs of pants i own, as well as a few jackets. I have been satisfied with the results. The key to be specific and makes what ever is noted on the write up ticket if u have an unusual request.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
go to ask andy, try search. ask for "trouser alterations".
scroll down to trouser alterations.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it really worth such gross butchery? better start again.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Is it really worth such gross butchery? better start again.

that's what happans when I buy suit off the rack, pants come in 39w to 40w, I need the 46 jacket to fit my shoulders and chest ....... going to bring to Wilfred this weekend to see what they think

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitingStyle
that's what happans when I buy suit off the rack, pants come in 39w to 40w, I need the 46 jacket to fit my shoulders and chest ....... going to bring to Wilfred this weekend to see what they think

Dude, since I know you, my advice is that you need to start going MTM or full bespoke if you can stomach the cost. Having 39W pants cut to 34 is not going to work, regardless of the talent of the tailor. Those 39 pants are probably closer to a 40 inch waist. You are taking 6 inches off the waist, you also need to slim down the thighs, leg, shorten the rise, take in the backside. It won't look right, you're front and back pockets are going to have to meet. I suggest either stop lifting so much weights
smile.gif
or reduce the size of your chest, or increase the size of your waist
smile.gif
Take a look at Mr. Ned, I think he can do the style of suit you like for about what you are spending on OTR.

edit: Don't you also have to take in the suit jacket waist due to your huge drop?? OTR is too much work for you and I don't think the cost is worth it. Go MTM.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sign ...... but its hard to pass up those 400 dollar Isaia suits on STP
frown.gif

yes, jacket is also a problem , could never get the fitted look the skinny dudes couild achive .........

funny you mentioned MTM, I went got measured for one past weekend, and was told by the tailor it would be a challange for him to get the shoulder and waist right on my jacket since there is such a big drop .....

Knowledge is King

Reaction score
frown.gif

yes, jacket is also a problem , could never get the fitted look the skinny dudes couild achive .........

funny you mentioned MTM, I went got measured for one past weekend, and was told by the tailor it would be a challange for him to get the shoulder and waist right on my jacket since there is such a big drop .....

I've have MTM guys (shirts and suits) tell me that I'm very difficult because of my drop (39.5 chest, 30 inch waist). In some cases, it has proved too difficult for them because they can't alter their pattern enough to truly fit me properly. Unfortunately if a MTM pattern can't be altered enough, bespoke is the only other option.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
frown.gif

Go see Mr. Ned, for $750 or so you'll get something that fits. Chorse123 got a jacket made recently there. If you're spending 400-500 on a suit and then spending another $200 to get it altered and it still doesn't look right...............

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Go see Mr. Ned, for $750 or so you'll get something that fits. Chorse123 got a jacket made recently there. If you're spending 400-500 on a suit and then spending another $200 to get it altered and it still doesn't look right...............

I've had some good feedback on it as well, from people who know, for what it's worth. They will give you plenty of fittings. Sure they work from a set pattern, but because of the number of fittings, it's much better than standard MTM. Start with one garment. It's worth the cost.

I think a suit will run you a little more than $750, but still better than major surgery on RTW I think.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads