• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

recommended lifts to improve posture?

graphite

Reaction score
hey everyone, my first post!

browsing through some pictures of myself, i notice i'm lacking in my posture. mainly slouching my shoulders, leaning forward when i walk, etc...

can anyone recommend me some weightroom lifts to help me stand up straight? or tips in general, that i can work in my routine to help build my posture.

i notice one thing that has caused me problems is in the past i've only worked out my chest and arms on things like the benchpress, incline/decline, etc. i need to work my back more to *even* it out.

thanks in advance!

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by graphite

browsing through some pictures of myself, i notice i'm lacking in my posture. mainly slouching my shoulders, leaning forward when i walk, etc...

can anyone recommend me some weightroom lifts to help me stand up straight? or tips in general, that i can work in my routine to help build my posture.

i notice one thing that has caused me problems is in the past i've only worked out my chest and arms on things like the benchpress, incline/decline, etc. i need to work my back more to *even* it out.

thanks in advance!

Let me be first to welcome you.

In case you didn't know, but you should, I am known for giving valuable and sound advice here.

1. Unless you have some congenital problems, I don't know why you can't correct your own posture without doing any exercise.

Roll your shoulders back, chest out. There is no need to walk like Zoolander.

2. You want to have a good back? Do bent rows, dumbbell rows, chin up and latpulldown. Forget about deadlift unless you have good form.

3. You can thank me later.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by beasty
Let me be first to welcome you.

In case you didn't know, but you should, I am known for giving valuable and sound advice here.

1. Unless you have some congenital problems, I don't know why you can't correct your own posture without doing any exercise.

Roll your shoulders back, chest out. There is no need to walk like Zoolander.

2. You want to have a good back? Do bent rows, dumbbell rows, chin up and latpulldown. Forget about deadlift unless you have good form.

3. You can thank me later.

Is there one single person on this forum who would agree that Beasty is known for giving valuable and sound advice? Anyone.....?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score

thanks in advance!

Rows of all kinds will be good for your posture, since it's likely your pecs are tight from hunching over when you walk. Try some scapular retraction exercises (butterflies etc.) with bands as well, try and squeeze your scapula together every time. Core exercises will help you too, having a strong lower back and knowing how to use your abs will help a lot.

The most important thing is to think about your posture all the time and keep it correct until it becomes a habit. Put sticky notes on your desk at work and at home with a reminder about your posture, stuff like that really helps.

Spend some time in the mirror and put yourself into correct posture- note how it feels, because that is the feeling you need to get into the habit of requiring of yourself.
postures.jpg

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strengthen your core, concentrate on your back. Do door stretches where you lean into a door opening with your hands on either side, stretching out your chest.

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you're concerned that you've been working your chest too much compared to your back, try the pencil test to see how bad the imbalance is. There's other advice on that link, which I haven't really read, but I'm sure it can't hurt.

Dane

Reaction score
Don't think it actually helps posture, but working on your shoulders will (could) increase your size in that area and create the illusion of better posture. I'd imagine working on your back in general would help too.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get the correlation between tight pectorals and weak scapular retractors since flexibility and strength don't have a whole lot of interaction or dependence on one another. Trying to correct a posterior pelvic tilt by strengthening the hip flexors seems silly so why try to correct a protracted shoulder girdle by stretching the opposing muscle when a weakened muscle is the cause. The pectorals play a role but only by virtue of their existence; their tightness is generally overstated. More commonly it's a scapular retraction weakness from a damaged rotator cuff and/or more commonly from a weakened teres minor and infrasprinatus. Exercises done in a prone position with the elbows facing backward will work well. So really, any kind of rows should help.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Deadlifts Squats Good mornings Even SLDLs Just in my experience, these compound exercises that work the lower back and (in some cases) the upper back, are excellent for posture. It has helped me a lot. If you do not use correct form you will end up injured, so get a trainer or research them extensively, and then start with very low weight.

TomDWeaver

Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
Strengthen your core, concentrate on your back. Do door stretches where you lean into a door opening with your hands on either side, stretching out your chest.

I agree that core excersices will help your posture. Try including the plank into your workout.

Kris

Reaction score
Agreed on rows, pulls, etc.

I would add that single dumbell swing, single dumbell snatch, cleans and power cleans will all strengthen your posterior chain and naturally correct the slouch from TMBP (too much bench press). Look around, TMBP is rampant!

Also, don't neglect the rear delts. It will help keep your chest open. Bent raises are golden, but often avoided by corner-cutters because they're "hard" and drain your energy.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kris
Agreed on rows, pulls, etc. I would add that single dumbell swing, single dumbell snatch, cleans and power cleans will all strengthen your posterior chain and naturally correct the slouch from TMBP (too much bench press). Look around, TMBP is rampant! Also, don't neglect the rear delts. It will help keep your chest open. Bent raises are golden, but often avoided by corner-cutters because they're "hard" and drain your energy.
Protracted shoulder girlde isn't caused by too much shoulder transverse adduction (ie. bench press, push-ups, etc.), it's caused by weakness of the infrasprinatus and teres minor. The pectorals have limited pull on the shoulder girdle and like most upper body muscles are not long enough to have severe flexibility issues like the tissues of the legs and hips.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
FWIW deadlifts, squats, bent over rows, and pullups really helped my posture improve quickly. I've always been a sloucher. Of course, yoga helps too.

graphite

Reaction score
well, thanks for the advice everyone!

i do bent arm rows, lat pulldown, and deadlift (light weight-- 135lbs). i haven't focused much on these lifts much in the past-- i will begin to add more reps and sets of these to my workouts.

i also did the pencil test, and failed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads