• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ready to Wear + Alterations vs. Made to Measure

todaywefeast

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I understand the difference between RTW, MTM and Bespoke, and I understand that in MTM they take a standard pattern and alter it to your specifics measurements.

But what I fail to see if the real huge difference between buying a jacket from for ex. Lori Piana RTW and having it altered, and buying a MTM jacket in the same fabric from them.

If a RTW is a basic cut - and then you alter it to fit you perfectly, how is that any different from altering the fixed pattern before it is cut in the first place?

Thanks !

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I understand that in MTM they take a standard pattern and alter it to your specifics measurements.

Within limits. Generally, within limits considerably less broad, and based on a less thorough understanding of your individual needs, than those involved in an experienced bespoke tailor crafting a garment for you.

If a RTW is a basic cut - and then you alter it to fit you perfectly, how is that any different from altering the fixed pattern before it is cut in the first place?

It really depends on what alterations are needed to make the fit perfect.

Some alterations are easily accomplished, with excellent results. If all your RTW garment needs to be perfect are these sorts of alterations, then RTW + alterations can be as good as MTM.

But some alterations are neither easily accomplished, not likely to yield excellent results. If one gets them wrong when making the garment, changing them once the garment is finished is either unreasonably expensive, impractically difficult, or unlikely to yield excellent results. In cases there will be a huge difference between RTW + alterations and MTM or bespoke.

For example, If my only complaint with my RTW suit is that the pants need to be shortened an inch, that's trivial. It can be done easily and inexpensively, and will likely turn out just fine.

But if my complaint with my RTW suit is that the jacket is too short, I'm pretty much out of luck. This isn't something readily fixed via a simple alteration.

I would add that despite what one might conclude from reading some of the posts on online clothing forums, most of the time, for most people, RTW is actually a fine choice. Dollar for dollar, usually a better choice than MTM. No, not always, and not for everyone. But for the vast majority of men whose bodies are not far outside the norm, and for whom price is not an irrelevant concern, a quality MTM item is likely to represent the "sweet spot."

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I understand the difference between RTW, MTM and Bespoke, and I understand that in MTM they take a standard pattern and alter it to your specifics measurements.

But what I fail to see if the real huge difference between buying a jacket from for ex. Lori Piana RTW and having it altered, and buying a MTM jacket in the same fabric from them.

Thanks !

Move your question over here to the Menswear Advice forum so other new members can benefit from the feedback.

@12345Michael54321 's post above is spot on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads