• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ray-Ban: Trite or Classic?

motosacto

Reaction score

Outside of Steve McQueen, I have never seen anyone look good in a pair of Persol 649's or 714's. I'm certain they are a quality product, but they don't seem to fit many people's faces well.
Agreed. I love them, but they don't fit my face at all, and IRL, I've never seen them fit anyone else's either.
How about Marcello Mastroianni? Maybe you have to be italian (or Steve McQueen). Of course, "classic" and "fits everyone" aren't the same thing. They don't fit me well, either...

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think they may be a little big for your face, Dig. Also, in my opinion, the gold-tone frames aren't as good a color choice for you as would be black plastic or silver metal.

Unless you're Andre the Giant, they're too big for everyone's face :lol: but your comment regarding the frame color has finally crystallized what was nagging me about them. Now, I'm glad that I didn't pull the trigger. Thanks.

MeowMeow

Reaction score
Cockpits are now made in China. Once upon a time not too long ago, just maybe three years dated back to the Pre-Obama era, an American Man could simply walk into a Rayban store and purchase a pair of aviators. In the back of his mind he knew that he was wearing an American Icon dating back to the GI's who fought for this great country. I still remember my first aviator purchase, the Beverly Hills Sales person spent 30 minutes with me and we picked the perfect shape, blade and lens color. I knew this would be my final sunglass purchase forever, my $130 glasses outdid any Tom Fords, Persols, etc. At $130 I had reached the threshold at which anything greater spent would be a simple rehash of the "Law of Diminishing Rate of Marginal Returns" from my sophmore Econ class.

I still remember the look of envy from many passers-by. Kind of like you have when you see a person in aWhite Hanes V-neck tee that just fits him right, or the perfect Redwing boot that has age so well and becomes the perfect compliment to all denim.

Unfortunately, I had to order a new pair of cockpits two months ago because the originals were stolen. When I received the replacements the first impression was the case unlike the original, was a *************. However, I went on like these were the replacements for the originals. From my daily wear they felt different, lighter and inferior to my original purchase. It was not until a recent cleaning that I noticed on the arm stampeded "Made in China".

What a let down, Ray Ban soon will become a joke of a brand and anybody wearing their glasses will be considered a tool!

MeowMeow

Reaction score
I laugh at all you Chinese made Aviator wearing dudes. Buy some Randolphs instead, Made In USA and a contractor to the US armed forces

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damned Obama! Trying to take our guns and our Ray Bans. :foo:

Lord Mulberry

Reaction score
Like anything else, you are paying for a brand name. That doesn't necessarily mean they are quality products or stylish. I have a pair of quality and stylish sunglasses that cost one tenth the price of Ray-Bans.

tonelar

Reaction score
I admire Ray Bans because the brand popularised classic styles - there is merit however in quality manufacture - which Luxottica generally falls short of, and by the sounds of it - Randolph Engineering and American Optical meet.

American Optical are nowhere compared to B&L. I have some experience with Luxxotica and their also short of the B&L quality (but better than AE). I've heard the Randolph Engineering Aviators are better (but haven't seen these myself).

tonelar

Reaction score
Also, keep in mind there is a big difference between the original Bausch and Lomb Ray Bans and the current manufacturer's effort.
If given the choice, get a Made in USA (gently used). Those Ray Bans are outstanding sunglasses.

If only the Italian made ones are available, check out Oakley frogskins or holbrooks.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trite now. Mass produced, mass worn, and are no longer cool. So many other better brands.

GTR

Reaction score
Everything brand that Luxottica acquires turns to ****; quality goes down while prices increase. They own most of the brands in the eyewear market.

Allen Smithee

Reaction score
Everything brand that Luxottica acquires turns to ****; quality goes down while prices increase. They own most of the brands in the eyewear market.
QFT

+1

Shell of what they were. The actual styles remain okay, but it's a shell of something once great.

sjoydavi

Reaction score
I have these pair of raybans and i need to know how much they're worth please help anyone

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads