• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ranting: nice clothes and overweight people..

nomorestreet

Reaction score
Well, I have Thyroid problems and therefore can get fat easily. I still have about 7kg too much right now but being on my eliptical for 40 minutes every day and eating healthy made me loose 3 kg in the last four weeks.

I do this not for weight loss but for personal fitness. Right now, I have more energy than in the last three years when I slowly gained 10kg. The weight loss is a nice side effect of course.

I believe you got to feel well with yourself and with your body. I really don't care about getting a fantastic body, sixpack and a tan. I do care about being healthy and treating my body right.

I feel my body is like a car just that I can't buy a new one if this one breaks down. I lived way too wild in my teenage years so I better take care of me now. Plus if you want to get fit its easier if you start earlier and just maintian your level of fitness throughout your life.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many fat, I take you mean obese, people get 'good' clothes?

Why do you care? Wether you are fat or not the clothes are just as useless - they may be more aesthetically pleasing, but just as superficial on either person. It's not as if the fat person is wasting them anymore then you are.

Its such a moot arguement. "Your fat, and thus you should hate yourself and not want to buy anything nice at all, or have any interests."

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Most obese people tend to give up on their look and appearance..
They tend to go for unshaped and ill-fitted tracksuits or baggy tops..

The main problem for more sartorially advanced bigger person is to lose weight after buying well- fitted shirts or suits..
After spending a few thousands on great fitted clothes , it is heart breaking starting losing weight and repeating the same process..

sii1981

Reaction score
same here with the thyroid problem,
musicboohoo[1].gif
though im ok now, it was pretty difficult to begin with, i went from 12.5 stone to nearly 15 stone in about a year, inactivity was just part of the illness. and having a active lifestyle before meant that i ate like i still was active. those were hard times.
back to the clothes issue, its undoubtedly true that people look better within a certain weight range relative to height "i don't subscribe to skinny = good".
i read alot about silhouettes on this forum, and the best tailor cant hide a pot belly or make skinny trousers right for a 'fat' man.
my own view is that if one really cares about how they look, then a little bit of exercise or watching what you eat must be part of the discipline. but i dont have any view about anyone who are fat and get nice clothes, especially if they are older gents. its just none of my business

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Churchill was very smart and never one to miss a good meal..A good tailor will make you look elegant but can't make you look good..

DutchDaedalus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Churchill was very smart and never one to miss a good meal..A good tailor will make you look elegant but can't make you look good..

Elegance is more important than looking good. Physical beauty fades away, true elegance tends to be a sticky thing. Bleach, I don't know why I am typing this pretentious bullshit... I like good looking chicks too.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'll just say that I've seen some overweight people in the WAYWT thread that look good despite being overweight. I'll also say that since losing 30kg, I look and feel MUCH better than anything clothes could do for me. As in I look better in a cheap Uniqlo suit now than I did in expensive Italian brands before. If you're overweight, do yourself, your friends, and your family a favor and get in shape.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
To put it bluntly, yes.

I have virtually no sympathy for fat people. I'm sorry, but genetics are not the be-all, end-all of your personal destiny. I say this as a former fat kid who, through a shitload of effort and willpower, became super skinny and then eventually bulked up (with muscle) from the lankiness. I have downright terrible genetics. My dad is a fatass, as was his dad before him. But I refuse to make genetics an excuse. I have to work twice as hard as your average fit guy to be fit, and though it sucks, I've accepted it.

this is exactly the issue - anybody can be thin, people with a genetic tendency towards fat have to work harder, sometimes quite a lot harder.

the question is, should they? I've lost over a hundred poounds in the past 2 years, after really letting myself go for a few years. I did it mostly because I wanted my joints to last me for another 50 years, and in order to give a good example for my kids. not just because I wanted to look better for random guys on the internet. but this inolves sacrificining time that I could be spending with my kids, or my wife, or working. that's a fair sacrifice, from my perspective. do I suggest that everyone should do it? no, not at all.

we are a group of people who find apperance to be overwhelming important, but most of us have sacrificed parts of our life for apperance. I wouldn't suggest that everyone needs to do that.

oh, and another thing - I was in fantastic shape up until I was about 31, then put on a huge amount of weight, mostly because I was so used to putting in so much excersize to control my weight, and changed a lot of my habbits when I got married. so, all of you who take so much pride in how well you look, it is only going to get harder as you get older, and harder when you have more going on in your personal life.

The Contrarian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
t
oh, and another thing - I was in fantastic shape up until I was about 31, then put on a huge amount of weight, mostly because I was so used to putting in so much excersize to control my weight, and changed a lot of my habbits when I got married. so, all of you who take so much pride in how well you look, it is only going to get harder as you get older, and harder when you have more going on in your personal life.

This is a funny thread. Yes its harder for fat people to look good in clothing so instead of saying look they are trying to look as good as they can since this whole forum is devoted to fit issues you say look at that dumb shmuck, wasting his money trying to get his fit right. Oh, but I mean it in a good way, dont take offense.

musicboohoo[1].gif

Also on what Globetrotter said doesnt a changed metabolism make a world of difference when you get older? Personally I have seen the way my body reacts to eating and its alot different than the way it reacted when I was younger when I could eat and not worry about what the effect would be on my body.

chewy

Reaction score
We should all take away from the original post:

In your quest to look better in clothes, spend as much time focusing on your body as you do the specific articles you choose to cover it with.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont think this thread is too groundbreaking. No **** people that are more fit look better in clothes.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chewy
We should all take away from the original post:

In your quest to look better in clothes, spend as much time focusing on your body as you do the specific articles you choose to cover it with.

why?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
"Your fat, and thus you should hate yourself and not want to buy anything nice at all, or have any interests."

I can't speak for everyone on this thread, but statements like this are a complete misinterpretation or misrepresentation of the points I've been trying to make. It's not about hating fat people, or demanding that fat people lose weight. It's about the simple fact that we would all do well to get into better shape -- for our health, for the fit of our clothing, for our loved ones, or what have you.

Originally Posted by aeglus
I'll just say that I've seen some overweight people in the WAYWT thread that look good despite being overweight. I'll also say that since losing 30kg, I look and feel MUCH better than anything clothes could do for me. As in I look better in a cheap Uniqlo suit now than I did in expensive Italian brands before. If you're overweight, do yourself, your friends, and your family a favor and get in shape.

Thank you. This is the point I'd been trying to make. I used to be overweight, and I used to spend way too much money on clothing that tried to hide it or work around it. But ever since getting into shape, even the cheapest stuff looks better on me than my expensive "fat clothes" did. That's not to say that I only buy cheap clothes these days, but that anything looks better on me now than it used to, and that's a great feeling.

I have to work hard to maintain my condition, and it's a pain **********. But I see it as one of life's challenges to be overcome, rather than as a curse to be helplessly lived with. Life didn't deal all of us a great hand, but that doesn't mean we have to fold.

Originally Posted by The Contrarian
Also on what Globetrotter said doesnt a changed metabolism make a world of difference when you get older? Personally I have seen the way my body reacts to eating and its alot different than the way it reacted when I was younger when I could eat and not worry about what the effect would be on my body.

Metabolic changes are a real *****. That's why getting into a good fitness routine before you hit your late 20s / early 30s is so important. Those are the years when most people's metabolisms drop off the face of a cliff. All those naturally skinny guys who are unaccustomed to working out, and used to relying on their perfect metabolisms, turn into "skinny fat" guys with spindly little arms and legs and a beer belly. Not a flattering look on anybody. But it's a fate that can be totally avoided.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads