• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random food thoughts - Street edition

Ken P

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

every week I try to make noodles at least once, starting broth from scratch. always takes forever but the end product is something that I enjoy and eat for days

from a few weeks ago, cruddy photo but whatever

dashi base with gochujang, simmered with oxtail, charred ginger and onion, a good amount of korean pepper, chinese fermented bean paste. super savory and full bodied with the right amount of spiciness. topped with green onions, kimchi, messed up soft boiled eggs (**** electric ranges), enoki mushrooms. had to use udon noodles because I couldn't find acceptable ramen noodles (Sun brand where are you)

last week made wonton noodle soup, before that made crunchy stone pot bibimbap rice vermicelli. I want to try my hand at ramen but until I find a good brand of noodles to use I don't even wanna take the effort to do so. Probs gonna start doing my rounds of Vietnamese noodles now that I'm low on Korean ingredients so maybe I will post pics and recipes of that

Recipes would be great. The few times I've tried to make noodle dishes they've been pretty underwhelming. A majority of that may be due to the fact that I am white though... :embar:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

A lot of ramen places will do that/used fried onions and garlic too right? For shio ramen type broths. I have a ban xeo craving now.

I think when he said charring he meant like black charring. Vietnamese do that french broth thing where you char an onion

Iirc the word pho is the Vietnamese pronunciation of the french word feu like pot au feu (which I think means fire?)

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
indesertum is right, the charring of the ginger and onions is only for the broth. I don't think there is a consensus about the etymology of pho, as there's evidence for influence from both French vocabulary and Chinese vocabulary. The method for making a good pho broth is very much like pot au feu.

banh xeo is amazing. I'm craving it now too

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Recipes would be great. The few times I've tried to make noodle dishes they've been pretty underwhelming. A majority of that may be due to the fact that I am white though... :embar:

honestly if you aren't willing to commit a lot of time to it, making noodle dishes with broths won't ever turn out amazing. It's a lot of effort, maybe you can speed it up with a pressure cooker but I don't own one. The plus side is that, if you have a huge stock pot, you can spend a day to make a big ass pot of broth, eat a bowl or two fresh, and freeze the rest for whenever you're hungry. This is what I do in the winter.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pssh, amateurs, I make my noodles too:

Y'all should watch my cooking program for more tips:

7U3JeNy.png

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
we need links to said tv program. that's pretty awesome

is that natto on the noodles?

Last edited:

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

we need links to said tv program. that's pretty awesome

is that natto on the noodles?

Unfortunately not an actual cooking program, it's a Japanese language instruction program where I occasionally cook while demonstrating vocab!! My request for a cooking spin-off was denied because I'm actually not that good haha

https://cgi2.nhk.or.jp/gogaku/other/japanese/

It's fresh shimeji mushrooms, ground daikon radish, and a konbu-based broth

Last edited:

drmmr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in HCMC earlier this year and stumbled upon this noodle place near Snail Street. Not sure what they sell cos they didn't have a menu. Had a pork rice noodle (pork pho?) and the broth was sick. I could use a huge bowl of that and bun bo hue right now.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My friends paid someone using Task Rabbit to wait in line at State Bird Provisions for them. :eek:

Guy Burgess

Reaction score
Went to Hakata Tonton in NYC last night, which was delicious. You get a Big hot pot and after you've eaten everything in it you add eggs and rice or noodles and they cook it down. They also don't accept tips which was interesting for America.

Oh and the dessert was good too.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members