• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

drakevu

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Obviously I'm referring to people who know how to wear peacoats. The last time I saw a properly worn peacoat was Skyfall 2 years ago.

I'm still kinda like the look of Japanese workwear / outdoor. Pretty basic but...

Last edited:

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a friend who works for one of these places. She says that they turn over the garments very quickly, they don't turn a profit, and that the most desirable designers won't sell them garments (cheapens the the brand image).

Only works for cheap tuxedos. Really. You need make the cost money back in under 3 rentals to break even. So, could theoretically work for actual red carpet garments.

Don't know about the other businesses that followed, but Rent The Runway has been hugely successful. http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevenb...nt-the-runway-techs-next-billion-dollar-star/

canno

Reaction score
I'm beginnging to think that wearing cons in the rain is probably what reduces their life by about 6 months. Got to get me a cheap pair of boots that I won't be bothered if they get a battering.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shell trainers looks fantastic, and that's a surprisingly reasonable price for them. How many kids are going to have to learn how to buff shell now?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fok,
How long can these be expected to last? Maybe I'm still too fixated with the "resolable" ideal, but still, it's nice to be able to just replace the rubber part of my heeled shoes when they're worn out. I don't know what to do with sneaker soles.
I suppose that it depends a lot on your gait, and also, the tolerance that you have for worn down soles. The oldest pair that I have on that sole are from 2005 or thereabouts, a pair of Neil Barretts, and I still use them to beat around the house. I wore them hard, and walked a lot, for a few years, and the uppers got trashed well before the soles starting wearing out. Others pairs of sneakers on that sole have lasted years, and generally the soles are fine.

In the end, they are sneakers, albeit expensive ones. You wear them, and they you retire them and get another pair. Me, excepting those early ones, before everyone started using that sole, I've never had time to wear them out before something else caught my eye.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel like it's such a waste to use shell on shoes that can't be resoled. Like, I think it's almost disrespectful to the material not that it has stopped anyone. Part of their appeal is their long life.

WE DRINK BRAWNDO BECAUSE IT HAS ELECTROLYTES. ITS GOT WHAT PLANTS CRAVE!

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Damn, just saw you guys were talking about the 11th for the beantown get together. I'll be in.... Texas...

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I feel like it's such a waste to use shell on shoes that can't be resoled. Like, I think it's almost disrespectful to the material not that it has stopped anyone. Part of their appeal is their long life. 

Oh please, how many people here actually wear anything until the end of its life?

fireflygrave

Reaction score
With the price of the stuff I like I can't afford not to.

kashmir

Reaction score
^agreed. ~300bucks sneakers are not for me at this point, as much as i love the chelsea boot buttero sneaker at nmwa. fok explains it well, i appreciate that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads