• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score

Gilt shipped me the wrong product in a correctly labeled bag. Should I just return and reorder or attempt to gain clarity by phone first? I'm guessing the former.

I remember when Gilt just started and had excellent deals on high end items (80-90% off brands people actually wanted), I ordered a really nice jacket from Borrelli Napoli (an MC-centric high end Italian brand that has recently diluted its exceptional quality). In the mail I received a woman's dress from some crappy brand. I haven't ordered anything from Gilt since then.

istasi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Haven't thought about this.
Have been looking for wedge sole zip boots for a long time.
These in black :slayer:
Edit: quoting and spoilering pics on the iphone is a mess.

Yeah that's my thought process as well. You can get an idea of what it would look like from the SSENSE pics (would just kop these but w/ code the ones from LN-CC come out to $380, way cheaper even considering dye cost)

Urthwhyte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's the same sole as backlaces, can attest to its awesomeness. Instakop and dye!

Last edited:

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See below. The jacked up pricing and big time hype these days has really turned me off to the brand (I still enjoy wearing what I have, mind you).
I don't really believe this anymore. Maybe it is what people want you to believe to justify the higher prices. Theoretically, maybe it is true, but I attribute the skyhigh pricing to marketing hype and demand for the products. Also, I think the bigger and bigger that a brand gets, the more $$$ they need to produce larger quantities and to stay afloat.
Consider SEH Kelly- I recently handled their peacoat which was made from heritage wool, with the tweed hand woven on century-old looms by one guy, and only six made. The construction and quality is easily on par with and of the Cabourn outerwear that I own. And there is more care put into the details as compared to my Cameraman or Mallory. If Cabourn had made the peacoat, it would easily be twice the price, possibly 2.5-3x the price, if you compare it to some of the Scott's collection.

True. And his quality imo has gone south ie the clip jacket that used to be wool blended is now basically a cardi made from 100% jersey cotton.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well sure, a huge reason Cabourn costs what it costs is because people are willing to pay it, and it's a 'luxury' good. It's also not fair to compare small, niche brands with much larger operations -- the larger operations have to charge more to support their overhead, and they're not producing nearly enough for economies of scale to kick in.

I think we're on the tail end of people willing to pay the prices and shops willing to carry the goods. A few major shops have dropped NC this year (the only one I can remember off the top of my head is TBS).

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What don't you like about it? I think it's a great foul weather jacket (more for snow than rain).

wurm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else's unread posts button not working? It just takes me to the newest post.

Last edited:

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cabourn Cameraman came... not sure if keeping.

You only live once, man.

Late to the NC party--no local stockist until this season & out of my price range unless deeply discounted--but after recently trying on a Cameraman I'm a little fixated on it. Always apprecited the look but it fits me PERFECTLY. Ugh.

Suggestions for a plain denim or wool baseball cap?

Take a look at Fair Ends. Norse Projects ones are nice but hard to find one w/out any branding. Filson makes a tincloth one that's nice too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads